Crazy Winter - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 10th February 2012, 09:29 PM
The heating bill is lower than normal, I think this will be the worst year ever for Morel mushrooms... GRRR
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 23rd April 2012, 04:40 PM
Just watched the national news. OMG - you poor people on the East Coast. I bet you were really surprised to see all that white stuff coming down again. Up to a foot of snow in some areas. Hope everyone's birds are okay! I remember people talking about taking the vis-queen and plastic protection off their fly-pens and aviaries.
Good luck and hope you all get the power back on soon.
Posted 23rd April 2012, 09:00 PM
almondman,
were are you from? I'm in northern MN and we have gold finchs, and house finches. as well as purple finches and others here all winter. I actualy didn't think they even migrated. I noticed the last three years or so there has been robbins around in the winter. even with 2 feet or more of snow on the ground. I thaught they ate worms and stuff? this spring I noticed we have more ducks around nesting than any other year I can remember. I figure there is more than there whas when I whas a kid. and there just about all nesters. good sighn for me, I love ducks.

Posted 24th April 2012, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondman View Post
Just watched the national news. OMG - you poor people on the East Coast. I bet you were really surprised to see all that white stuff coming down again. Up to a foot of snow in some areas. Hope everyone's birds are okay! I remember people talking about taking the vis-queen and plastic protection off their fly-pens and aviaries.
Good luck and hope you all get the power back on soon.
We only got rain on the coast The jet stream coming up from down south kept the storm inland towards western Pennsylvania and New York, then sent it up towards Canada. Never made it to the coast!!!!
The nice thing about New England is that it sticks out over the ocean in direct line with the jet stream. We will miss alot of the storms because of that.

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"

Last edited by Msfreebird; 24th April 2012 at 06:40 AM..
Posted 24th April 2012, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchbackmat69 View Post
almondman,
were are you from? I'm in northern MN and we have gold finchs, and house finches. as well as purple finches and others here all winter. I actualy didn't think they even migrated. I noticed the last three years or so there has been robbins around in the winter. even with 2 feet or more of snow on the ground. I thaught they ate worms and stuff? this spring I noticed we have more ducks around nesting than any other year I can remember. I figure there is more than there whas when I whas a kid. and there just about all nesters. good sighn for me, I love ducks.
We just got our gold finches back here in southern Wisconsin within the last 4 or 5 weeks. I haven't noticed house finches(?)as yet. Our sparrows never seem to leave. And I have never seen purple finches at my feeders. Robins did not spend the winter here but I feel they arrived much sooner than normal and they were hit with a couple of snows, but seemed to do all right. Another poster said they will eat some berries and greens if worms and grubs aren't available!?!? I agree that there seems to be more of everything around here. My sock feeders have turned almost yellow with gold finches at times this spring.

Msfreebird - glad to hear you were not hit. When they showed the radar the white and green seemed to mix in some parts. It still must have bee nasty for everyone that got hit with the snow and thought spring was here. did you get a lot of rain?
Posted 24th April 2012, 10:16 AM
Quote:
We just got our gold finches back here in southern Wisconsin within the last 4 or 5 weeks. I haven't noticed house finches(?)as yet. Our sparrows never seem to leave. And I have never seen purple finches at my feeders. Robins did not spend the winter here but I feel they arrived much sooner than normal and they were hit with a couple of snows, but seemed to do all right. Another poster said they will eat some berries and greens if worms and grubs aren't available!?!? I agree that there seems to be more of everything around here. My sock feeders have turned almost yellow with gold finches at times this spring.

Msfreebird - glad to hear you were not hit. When they showed the radar the white and green seemed to mix in some parts. It still must have bee nasty for everyone that got hit with the snow and thought spring was here. did you get a lot of rain?

When are you getting pigeons?
Posted 24th April 2012, 11:34 AM
What's that got to do with the "crazy winter"?
Posted 24th April 2012, 08:06 PM
pigeons go hand and hand with snow, as I found out this year. after the snow flys is when the realy cool looking ferals show up and trap. LMAO even more so if I leave the door open on the flight pen, then I just throw the ones I want in the other half of the loft were I keep my ferals and let the rest go.
Posted 24th April 2012, 08:15 PM
I wanted to say that the robins arrived!!!!! We have at least 10 of them . I saw that the cowbirds are here, blasted things . Always chatting up a storm and pooping on the car.

~~~Lucas~~~
Posted 25th April 2012, 03:57 AM
Quote:

We got heavy downpours.....but we needed rain!!! We had flash flood warnings only because the ground was sooooo dry, they were afraid of 'runoff' and the ponds and rivers (ocean too I guess...LOL) overflowing! All is fine though, except I had to mow my lawn again yesterday I don't ever remember mowing my lawn in April! I've had to mow it twice this week!
We've had alot of birds the past couple weeks......I sat and watched a bunch of small one's (juncos, chickadees, etc) stealing hay out of my goat pen the other day We usually have robins year round, but I was told that the robins we have in the winter are from Canada and that 'ours' go south. Don't know if thats really true, but I do see them in the winter here. I'm right on the ocean, so the snow melts faster than inland, and we miss alot of the storms.......It's the Nor'easters that get the coast!

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 25th April 2012, 08:42 AM
Quote:
What's that got to do with the "crazy winter"?
nothing. seeing it a light hearted thread with allot of posts from you my thoughts wonderd why you don't have a loft/ pigeons yet? would like to see pictures when you do.....if not, then I guess PT is enough for you...lol...
Posted 25th April 2012, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
We got heavy downpours.....but we needed rain!!! We had flash flood warnings only because the ground was sooooo dry, they were afraid of 'runoff' and the ponds and rivers (ocean too I guess...LOL) overflowing! All is fine though, except I had to mow my lawn again yesterday I don't ever remember mowing my lawn in April! I've had to mow it twice this week!
We've had alot of birds the past couple weeks......I sat and watched a bunch of small one's (juncos, chickadees, etc) stealing hay out of my goat pen the other day We usually have robins year round, but I was told that the robins we have in the winter are from Canada and that 'ours' go south. Don't know if thats really true, but I do see them in the winter here. I'm right on the ocean, so the snow melts faster than inland, and we miss alot of the storms.......It's the Nor'easters that get the coast!

The articles I've read on the subject say that more and more robins are just not migrating. If they can find enough food around many are staying. Same with the carolina wrens. I just love them. Many of them are staying around now too, although some die because they are not really winter hardy. Maybe that will change, the longer they do stay. They are around our yard eating the berries and such. And I put out chopped nuts for them, which they love. Robins climb all through our hollies all winter to grab the berries, and in our crab apple trees. You can supplement them by tossing out raisins where they congregate. Just don't let your dogs get them, as they are toxic to dogs. Yep! Things..............they are a changin' around here! LOL.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 25th April 2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit wings View Post
nothing. seeing it a light hearted thread with allot of posts from you my thoughts wonderd why you don't have a loft/ pigeons yet? would like to see pictures when you do.....if not, then I guess PT is enough for you...lol...
PT is going to have to be enough for me for a while longer. I had a loft, but it was rendered unusable a couple of years ago by somebody(s) that apparently didn't like me, or maybe my birds. I don't think it was me, because I am just such a lovable, old softy.

All joking aside, the loft is now a storage shed. I am currently trying to save up enough to build a smaller loft that I can put up next to the house to better protect the birds, and the investment made for the new loft. I don't need any more storage.

I had some bills that my insurance company decided not to cover that has depleted my pigeon bank account. I had been working with someone from PT to buy some Nuns and had to let them go too. Obviously, no loft, no birds. I am hoping for a better few months ahead, and then I will share my new experiences.

Until then, you are stuck with me the way I am, the warm fuzzy person, without pigeons, known as almondman.
Posted 25th April 2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
The articles I've read on the subject say that more and more robins are just not migrating. If they can find enough food around many are staying. Same with the carolina wrens. I just love them. Many of them are staying around now too, although some die because they are not really winter hardy. Maybe that will change, the longer they do stay. They are around our yard eating the berries and such. And I put out chopped nuts for them, which they love. Robins climb all through our hollies all winter to grab the berries, and in our crab apple trees. You can supplement them by tossing out raisins where they congregate. Just don't let your dogs get them, as they are toxic to dogs. Yep! Things..............they are a changin' around here! LOL.
I have read that there has been more and more Snowy owls reportedly seen regularly further south from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. We are also seeing more Bald Eagles in Iowa, southern Wisconsin and even into Illinois. We have had more reported sightings of bear, bobcats, and wolves in southern Wisconsin too. Although no established areas have been noted for the mammals, it is interesting that they have come this far south. We have even had confirmed reports of cougars near Madison, and a cougar was killed in Chicago.

As you said: things........they are a changin'!
Posted 25th April 2012, 01:38 PM
Quote:
PT is going to have to be enough for me for a while longer. I had a loft, but it was rendered unusable a couple of years ago by somebody(s) that apparently didn't like me, or maybe my birds. I don't think it was me, because I am just such a lovable, old softy.

All joking aside, the loft is now a storage shed. I am currently trying to save up enough to build a smaller loft that I can put up next to the house to better protect the birds, and the investment made for the new loft. I don't need any more storage.

I had some bills that my insurance company decided not to cover that has depleted my pigeon bank account. I had been working with someone from PT to buy some Nuns and had to let them go too. Obviously, no loft, no birds. I am hoping for a better few months ahead, and then I will share my new experiences.

Until then, you are stuck with me the way I am, the warm fuzzy person, without pigeons, known as almondman.
Im glad you have not given up. Did not see you as a nun guy..but hey those are really pretty birds. hope you find somemore when the time comes. at least you have time to think about the loft and know exactly what you want instead of rushing into it.. it will be nice Im sure.. you can call it "Warm and Fuzzy loft"...lol...