Crazy Winter - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 10th February 2012, 02:52 PM

Crazy Winter

This winter has already been strange for many different reasons. Lack of snow, higher than normal temperatures, etc. Our local news stations have been running stories about daffodils and other flowers already coming up.

I was just checking my feeder station and noticed that I had 4 female gold finches on my Nyjer socks. This is absolutely the earliest I have ever seen these return. We have had temps in the 30s to lower 40s, but a cold front has been working it's way through and we currently have snow and 16 degrees F. I'm glad that my neighbors and I had set out the Nyjer early, even though I never thought we would see them this soon.

What's next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th February 2012, 03:08 PM
Yes it has benn a crazy winter. Warmer than usual around here, and no snow, which I have been very happy about. Although tonigh and tomorrow it is supposed to snow. Only 4 to 6 inches they are saying. Not bad, but I was kinda liking it just the way it was.

We have the goldfinches here all year. In the winter, the males look just like the females with the drabber coloring, then come springtime, they put on their bright yellow new outfits. Beginning in fall around here, they start eating more of the black oil sunflower seed than they do the other. I think they are smart enough to know that it gives them more to keep them warm in the cold weather. So as long as you have black oil sunflower seed out you don't have to worry. They eat that, as all finches do.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 10th February 2012, 03:22 PM
Put the black oil sunflower seed out all winter long. I am not a real snow enthusiast either. I do not participate in winter sports although I do like walking the woods after a light snow fall. Kinda pretty?

Are you anywhere near Holyoke(born there), or Granby(lived there first 4 years, before moving to Wisconsin) I don't need your exact location, just curious!

Last edited by almondman; 10th February 2012 at 03:25 PM..

Posted 10th February 2012, 03:26 PM
Give me a nice warm fire, a cup of coffee, and fill the feeders and I'm happy.
Here they are on a blk. oil sunflower feeder.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 10th February 2012, 03:27 PM
I agree....this is crazy weather! I like it though It's been in the high 40's and it hit 50 the last 2 days, but the nights are still 20' - 30's....no snow here either. The storm thats headed this way will probably go out below us again....we're missing all the storms. Suppose to be back in the 30's tomorrow for awhile and teens at night

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 10th February 2012, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondman View Post
Put the black oil sunflower seed out all winter long. I am not a real snow enthusiast either. I do not participate in winter sports although I do like walking the woods after a light snow fall. Kinda pretty?

Are you anywhere near Holyoke(born there), or Granby(lived there first 4 years, before moving to Wisconsin) I don't need your exact location, just curious!
The only winter sport I do is plowing the driveway

Posted 10th February 2012, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Give me a nice warm fire, a cup of coffee, and fill the feeders and I'm happy.
Here they are on a blk. oil sunflower feeder.

Oh, so cute I saw a couple of them in the yard the other day, I have alot of cardinals!

Posted 10th February 2012, 03:33 PM
Luckily, I have my two grown sons living with us. They have a small snow blowing business around the neighborhood. I still help out, when I can. Not much business so far this winter.
Posted 10th February 2012, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfreebird View Post
Oh, so cute I saw a couple of them in the yard the other day, I have alot of cardinals!
They are so nice to watch. I also have one pair of cardinals. Had two, but fed the hawk last fall. My feeding station is shown in my album. It's set up so I can watch from my deck, or from my easy chair through a bay window. Our cats enjoy the bay window also. The birds seem to know that they are safe as they routinely fly very close to the glass, seemingly teasing them.
Posted 10th February 2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Luckily, I have my two grown sons living with us. They have a small snow blowing business around the neighborhood. I still help out, when I can. Not much business so far this winter.
LOL, lucky you! I have 2 grown daughters with SO's (engaged), ...one with a snow blower and one with a plow truck. They don't plow me out because I have a Massey Ferguson I like to play with......But they sure like to borrow it sometimes LOL

Posted 10th February 2012, 04:03 PM
Yes, I do consider myself lucky, until they agree to disagree. I am reminded of something my parents always said to me - "wait until you have kids of your own". Actually it's all good, they help us in a lot of ways.

I just hope that we all don't get hit with several major storms in March/April. I already worry for the early arrivals and how they will do with the cold. It's quite a swing from 30s/40's to single digit temps. I see that most of the birds are hunkering done in our pines. Hope it deflects most of the wind.
Posted 10th February 2012, 04:18 PM
I'm sure the pines will block a lot of the wind for your birds. I have evergreens also that they seem to like, and bird houses all over the yard. Some of them go in the houses at night. We have crab apples and berry bushes that the winter birds like, and they also feed the early returning ones. Fun to watch them pulling the berries off the bushes.

Posted 10th February 2012, 04:26 PM
It's been weird here too. One day 70 degrees wearing short sleeves, next day 40's.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 10th February 2012, 06:41 PM
Quote:
This winter has already been strange for many different reasons. Lack of snow, higher than normal temperatures, etc. Our local news stations have been running stories about daffodils and other flowers already coming up.

I was just checking my feeder station and noticed that I had 4 female gold finches on my Nyjer socks. This is absolutely the earliest I have ever seen these return. We have had temps in the 30s to lower 40s, but a cold front has been working it's way through and we currently have snow and 16 degrees F. I'm glad that my neighbors and I had set out the Nyjer early, even though I never thought we would see them this soon.

What's next?
We are having the same weather effect here in northern Utah.I was today cleaning the loft and noticed red breast robins already hanging out rare for this time of season
Posted 10th February 2012, 07:24 PM
The weather up north here in BC has been bizarre as well. We had 1.5 weeks of snow, which was close to 17 inches, and then it all melted away. Last week we had 5 days where the weather seemed like spring, people were outside in shorts and t-shirts. Now the rain has started again and doesn't seem like it'll stop anytime soon. But that's what you get when you live in a temperate rainforest :P

Revolution Pigeon Lofts

"A new-era of pigeon racing"