Feeder Watch, Anyone? - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 22nd July 2015, 07:17 PM
Looks like a sparrow.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 22nd July 2015, 07:41 PM
No, not at all a sparrow. It is a shiny green bird with long beak. They look somewhat like humming birds,small but very high frequency piercing chirping they make. There was a mirror in my previous home a bit out of veranda and she would come daily in morning there and fight with her reflection. They are cute. Almost half of the size of sparrow with a short tail.
Also I have seen only this sparrow here. this is a male, females don't have black color on chin and beak.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed (5).jpg (38.7 KB, 21 views)
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Last edited by kiddy; 22nd July 2015 at 07:57 PM..
Posted 22nd July 2015, 10:11 PM
House sparrow. Actually not a sparrow, but a member of the finch family. Horrible little creatures, brought here from Europe, unfortunately, where they have flourished to the detriment of our native birds. They are small and cute, but not nice.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 22nd July 2015, 10:22 PM
But I have seen them eating something from trees? Means I don't think they can cause any physical harm to any bird. How could they be detrimental to native birds?
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 22nd July 2015, 10:26 PM
Kiddy, love the dove...and pigeon!...photo.
Posted 22nd July 2015, 10:31 PM
Cwebster : Better to watch pigeons surroundings.lol this is my mobile camera which capture more about where the bird belongs
Posted 23rd July 2015, 07:42 AM

AZ birds

These pictures came from a trip to Tucson AZ earlier this month. I was hoping to get a picture of the Gambel's quail that come to my son's feeder, but the feeder was empty, and they had not been coming into the yard consistently.
I did manage to get some of the other birds in the area.

Road Runner & Mourning Dove

Pair of Mourning Doves

Whitewing Dove

Roadrunner

Last edited by Chuck K; 23rd July 2015 at 07:48 AM..
Posted 23rd July 2015, 08:07 AM
ChuckK, lovely birds!
Posted 23rd July 2015, 02:00 PM
Great shots of the doves.

Posted 23rd July 2015, 07:50 PM
Ok gonna try to load my contribution, not at a feeder but at my water ski course this evening. Drove up to normal spot and the adult eagle flew right over my head and I had enough time to get the sun behind us and pull out camera, took these in succession before the osprey came and chased him home. Got a bit of shaky footage that was hubbies fault as he moved the boat when I was saying no no no no no no. I had the video portion on to film the osprey escourting eagle out of town and just like a shaky bigfoot video I got blob eagle instead of blobsquatch grrrr, to hubby. Will try to load a few and in one pic shows an arrow of where I live just up the canal, and basically across the road is the eagles nest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.9 KB, 18 views)
Posted 23rd July 2015, 07:53 PM
Will try to load some of the cropped close ups now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (74.0 KB, 18 views)
Posted 23rd July 2015, 07:55 PM
CBL, it is lovely where you live! Nice eagle photo too.
Posted 23rd July 2015, 07:57 PM
So I live just up the canal about a 2 min boat ride from course to house and eagle is in between to the right of the picture, I should take a pic of the heronry where he lives. U can see his nest from the water as it is a chunk bigger than the herons that surround him. This is him with his landing gear coming down lol. I have a bunch more but u get the idea, u can tell it is a baldy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.8 KB, 19 views)
Posted 24th July 2015, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddy View Post
And what do you people call this bird? One of my sister caught it when she entered in her room flying day before yesterday. She kept it in a box for night to save her from cat and released in morning. We had many like them in our previous home.
It kinda looks like a Wren to me. The beak is too short for it to be a hummingbird and it's not a cone-shaped beak so it wouldn't be in the sparrow family. It looks like a bug-eating bird and with the curve of the bill and length of the tail, I'd put it closer to a wren than anything. Unfortunately, I barely even know all the birds in the USA so I am definitely no authority on birds in India... though it is a cute little guy!

"ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ" - ガクト
My Instagram
Posted 24th July 2015, 06:30 AM
CBL... holy crap! I'm so jealous! I must remind myself, "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's eagle" lol

I live along the Hudson River in Upstate, NY and I'm actually going out eagle watching with a friend of mine today. I highly doubt I'll get pictures like that though! Those are fantastic!

"ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ" - ガクト
My Instagram

Tags
birdwatching, feeders, local birds