Feeder Watch, Anyone? - Page 4 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 24th July 2015, 06:59 PM
Lookin fierce now....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.2 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 24th July 2015, 07:02 PM
And just before release she so sleek and keen....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (29.7 KB, 22 views)
Posted 24th July 2015, 07:05 PM
Check out the size of that eye, no wonder they have awesome binocular vision. That is one fierce lookin bird. Gorgeous eyes.
When I had this bird in my flight the local songbirds went balllistic, I have video of them strifing the cage and she was going stir crazy she wanted them badly, I relased her the next day. I left feed out for her for two weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.5 KB, 24 views)

Posted 24th July 2015, 09:52 PM
CBL, awesome lovely bird!
Posted 25th July 2015, 02:34 PM

Golden-fronted Woodpecker

At the feeder about ten minutes ago. (7-25-2015)

Posted 25th July 2015, 02:40 PM
I like woodpeckers. Have not seen those.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 25th July 2015, 02:57 PM
Jay,

They are a central US / Mexico bird. I am on the far eastern edge of their range here as they usually prefer more open scrub country.

I too love woodpeckers, and we have a fairly large variety here, but I have only seen two or three species come to the feeder. I have tried a number of times to get pictures of the Red-headed, and Pileated woodpeckers in the area without success.
Posted 25th July 2015, 03:16 PM

Two-fer

These two never come down to the feeder, but they love the tall White Oak in the back yard.

Western King Bird & Eastern Bluebird

Posted 25th July 2015, 05:02 PM
Lovely birds, what kind of woodpecker? Sorry, just noticed the description.

Last edited by cwebster; 25th July 2015 at 08:50 PM..
Posted 25th July 2015, 07:02 PM
Love the bluebird. We have Indigo buntings here so pretty blue similar but ALL blue really.
Posted 25th July 2015, 07:13 PM
CBL : lovely bird, didn't like her eating mice tho but they have no choice, they have to kill others for their survival.

Chuck: beautiful wood pecker, quite different from what we see in India.
Beautiful birds too. Thanks for the pics.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 25th July 2015, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck K View Post
Jay,

They are a central US / Mexico bird. I am on the far eastern edge of their range here as they usually prefer more open scrub country.

I too love woodpeckers, and we have a fairly large variety here, but I have only seen two or three species come to the feeder. I have tried a number of times to get pictures of the Red-headed, and Pileated woodpeckers in the area without success.
If you ever get the pics, I would love to see them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 25th July 2015, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddy View Post
CBL : lovely bird, didn't like her eating mice tho but they have no choice, they have to kill others for their survival.

Chuck: beautiful wood pecker, quite different from what we see in India.
Beautiful birds too. Thanks for the pics.
Kiddy ya, not nice but when u have a bird or any critter you have to feed them the proper diet that they would eat in the wild. In the one pic, it is on a woodcock. I found it on my front lawn after a storm. So I gave it to the bird. They eat, mice, birds, and frogs, and Im sure any bug they can find. So if it is in their natural diet, I must supply. We have stores here that sell them kiddy. Not nice but was a necessity.
Posted 26th July 2015, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBL View Post
Kiddy ya, not nice but when u have a bird or any critter you have to feed them the proper diet that they would eat in the wild. In the one pic, it is on a woodcock. I found it on my front lawn after a storm. So I gave it to the bird. They eat, mice, birds, and frogs, and Im sure any bug they can find. So if it is in their natural diet, I must supply. We have stores here that sell them kiddy. Not nice but was a necessity.
Sad for a bird lover. Either I can't raise them or I can't supply them the proper diet, if they eat flesh etc I don't know if I can give them from stores coz that will be dead. I know you did out of necessity but I can't throw a life to a life. I am not that strong to see anyone dying. All are equal, all bear pain. I can't see one dying because of me or because I prefer someone else's life, Sorry I know our opinions don't match here but it's OK everyone is different.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 26th July 2015, 09:42 AM

Mocking Bird

This one doesn't feed off the feeder, but it loves to poke around under my fly boxes. I think they are more of an insect eater that a seed eater.

Tags
birdwatching, feeders, local birds