Feeder Watch, Anyone? - Page 6 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 27th July 2015, 07:10 PM
Good shot Chuck cute birdie...
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th July 2015, 08:09 AM

Speaking of Buntings...

Not exactly a Feeder Watch because they weren't spotted near feeders but they were near the small birdhouse apartment complex at the sanctuary. I was up clearing more mews of weeds and shooting more footage for my documentary when I decided to break for birdwatching.

This is the "apartment complex" lol I want one of these at my house.

"ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ" - ガクト
My Instagram
Posted 28th July 2015, 08:23 AM
Thumbs up

Awww... So sweet apartment... Nice shots as well...
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Posted 28th July 2015, 09:19 AM

Peacocks

OK so I spotted them today not on feeder but in a yard feeding on insects
Not quality pics but at least we can see them. Lol
Sorry for weird pics always

P. S: I was trying to chase them for pics and they were just running away, they were far
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150728_123139_HDR_1438069268217.jpg (89.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150728_122831_HDR_1438069228904.jpg (90.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150728_123255_HDR.jpg (95.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150728_123152_HDR.jpg (103.4 KB, 20 views)
Posted 28th July 2015, 02:13 PM
Kiddy! (゚ロ゚) OMG!!

You have WILD peacocks?! You can own them as pets here if you have a license for them but we don't just see them chillin' like that! I'm super happy for you (and kind of jealous)! I absolutely go bananas when I see their tails up and out. The peas at the sanctuary were displaying BEAUTIFULLY... I'll have to upload the pics when I get home (replying from phone while in a waiting room so fun)

My Instagram
Posted 28th July 2015, 03:16 PM

Indigo Bunting

Koomori,

I would love to be able to see the Indigo Bunting. They are supposed to be confirmed sightings in Texas, but I have never seen one.

The only bunting I have seen here is the beautiful Painted Buntings, but I only see one of of those every three or four years, and never when I have a camera with me.
Posted 28th July 2015, 03:17 PM

Peacocks

Kiddy,

When I lived in west Texas we had some people that had let their Peacocks go wild a block to two down the street. There was a river bottom just west of us, and I think they spent most of their time in thick brush around the river. I can remember them going nuts at night sometimes. I don't know if something was after them or what.

They can be very loud.

Last edited by Chuck K; 28th July 2015 at 03:20 PM..
Posted 28th July 2015, 03:18 PM
The bunting is beautiful.
Kiddy, you mean they run around loose there? That's kool.
I chased some around one day when I saw them in someones yard too. But they don't generally run around loose here. They had gotten out of the zoo. LOL.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 28th July 2015, 04:21 PM
Koomori, yes these are wild peacocks and I have seen there quite of couple of times but didn't see them since long and I was talking to my mom few minutes back that it is a good rainy season but where are those peacocks these days and suddenly when I went just few steps further I saw them and I was so happy I can't tell.

Chuck, yes you are right, they are very loud. Lol but I love when they are vocal

Jay, they live in forest here too or in zoo. Lol. But where I spotted them is no less than forest. Actually that's a University campus and that's I think is the largest residential University in Asia with lot of greenries and lot of huge trees so don't know if they have migrated there or have been brought there intentionally to beautify the areas as they get same wild environment there. Campus starts within a kilo meter from my place and I have to go there daily to pick my nephew from school which is in the same University so I sometimes get a chance to see them(I think they are more than two) but they are very wild, they start running fast when you go near them and you won't believe I have chased them in those University employees yards. One asked me what are you doing here Lol. And when I told him he said come inside and take pics . Lol. but they ran away again.
Posted 28th July 2015, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck K View Post
Koomori,

I would love to be able to see the Indigo Bunting. They are supposed to be confirmed sightings in Texas, but I have never seen one.

The only bunting I have seen here is the beautiful Painted Buntings, but I only see one of of those every three or four years, and never when I have a camera with me.
We can vicariously birdwatch for each other too, I'm already loving everyone else's pictures and posts. Texas is great for bird watching (and other reasons, one of my sisters is from Texas ٩( ω )۶) so I'm down for seeing anything you do and I'll keep on posting too. My Instagram is all birdwatching, ornithology labs, and Archimedes too.

You know what I'd LOOOOOVE to see?

The Ivory Billed Woodpecker. I'm still sure it was never confirmed extinct but never confirmed successfully propagating in the wild... but they were never in the East Coast. We get a decent variety of birds thanks to the Atlantic Flyway but down South and out West is amazing for birds.

And I'm not forgetting about my Northern Neighbors, the Canadians. They get Steller Sea Eagles and Golden Eagles. We get the golds atrandom thanks to the breeding programs but those hearty raptors tend to pass right over New York.

My Instagram
Posted 2nd August 2015, 12:58 AM
I know these must be common but when nothing else can be caught on feeder why not these flightless little cuties
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150802_115745_HDR_1438496990210.jpg (87.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150802_095051_HDR.jpg (97.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150802_094852_HDR.jpg (101.4 KB, 17 views)
Posted 2nd August 2015, 03:33 AM
hii...they are so cute....and wow so many different types of beautiful birds here...
i dont think i could post any beautiful pics like you people, nothing to watch here around except huge buildngs and busy people, who dont even have time to wait for a second and look around...
Posted 2nd August 2015, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nare J View Post
hii...they are so cute....and wow so many different types of beautiful birds here...
i dont think i could post any beautiful pics like you people, nothing to watch here around except huge buildngs and busy people, who dont even have time to wait for a second and look around...
Word is bond, my friend, why do you think I moved out of NYC? Too many people and only glimpses of wildlife. The worst part was the people either didn't care at all or they cared too much. It was generally negative attention when you got it and it was impossible to really focus. Even in Central Park where there is a decent bastion of nature in which to go birdwatching.... it was also open to the public and the public has a way of ruining things. And so I moved to Upstate NY, the land of apples and corn!!

But don't say "you people" you're one of us, even without the pictures. If you love birds, you're part of us "people", lol. If you ever get time to look, though, it's great for people stress. And India has some gorgeous birds as well.

SPEAKING OF GORGEOUS BIRDS... some blasts from my recent past...

This is a Yellow-rumped Warbler came through my backyard back in March, definitely a great sign of spring. This was the very first year I had actually seen one come to my feeders in the back of the house.

I started tossing out Bluebird pellets as well and I got a few Eastern Bluebirds to come to my yard as well between Feb - March. They didn't stay long and so far I have been unsuccessful in getting them back. Half the problem is the squirrels eating all the bluebird pellets, the other half of the reason why is likely the weather. Rain and tons of it = melted pellets before the birds notice they're there.

And just for fun, since I'm talking about "passing by" feederwatch birds in this post, this is an Eastern Towhee. Please go and listen to the sound they make, here is a link, it is worth it. LOL I love this sound. I want to say that it was as early as March as well, maybe into April, that I was hearing these. Over a span of three days I heard them in my yard but didn't get a picture of them until I went to a extremely close preserve area in Albany, NY (Albany Pinebush, Google it, it's a rockin' place), which is where I took this picture. At the same time, I was finishing school too and we were hearing Wood thrushes in our bird watching area behind the campus.

Well, I live right behind that, lol. So I was hearing this sound: Wood Thrush Song for a span of a few days as well. Never got a picture though. So sad. Like the warbler and the bluebirds... the Towhee and the Wood Thrush never came back.

I think I need to rethink my plant life back there.

My Instagram
Posted 2nd August 2015, 07:25 AM
Hey Naresh, really what Koomori said is very true, see what I got to post. Lol. But I love squirrels as well as other animals so everyone has to bear with me . lol
I know about Mumbai and its huge population and same we have to experience everywhere sooner or later due to deforestation. In my city even I see such populated areas with no greenries so where would the birds come? Fortunately I live in a colony where there are yards and trees so at least I get to see some birds but don't know till how long, I too have to shift somewhere else.
Still I will enjoy others birds and their feeder watch so you too enjoy them...
Posted 2nd August 2015, 07:31 AM
Koomori, really gorgeous birds, we have different warblers here and sometimes I think that unnamed bird's pic I posted was Indian warbler, don't know
But the one you posted is really pretty.
I loved these blue birds as well, I never saw them here, may be they can be found in sanctuaries but not in yards of course as I know.
And the last one I am unable to see clearly, don't know if we have such kind of bird here. Will Google for them. Thanks for such nice shots

Tags
birdwatching, feeders, local birds