Feeder Watch, Anyone? - Page 7 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 2nd August 2015, 11:24 AM
thank you komoori and kiddy......thanks for the pictures....this birds are so beautiful
Advertisement

Posted 2nd August 2015, 06:00 PM
Birds are very pretty. I like the bluebirds too, but they prefer an open space, and my yard is woodsy. Kiddy, love the chipmunk. The tail on yours is longer than they are here.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 2nd August 2015, 07:03 PM
Pretty common here in the spring and early summer to see the parents feeding their babies.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Posted 2nd August 2015, 07:30 PM
Jay3,

I didn't even notice that before you pointed it out. Now that I look back at the chipmunks in Kiddy's post and .. well, here:

Ours have rather small tails by comparison and the coloration is different too. But then again, for all I know, these critters could look different South of me too. I've never spent any significant time in any other state of the US aside from NY. Either way, I think it is really neat to see the variation of looks in this animal, I can bet they are a different species all together. Sure are cute though. Kiddy's Chipmunks look like tiny gray squirrel cousins almost, very adorable.

Separately, I went feeder watching at a state park with my father today. It was nice to see birds in a different region of NY, as the park we went to was quite a bit North from where I live but not quite out in bear country (though we still had our packs). Anyway, the Nature Center at the park had feeders and I was able to grab this great capture of a pair of male House Finches munching away.

"ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ" - ガクト
My Instagram
Posted 2nd August 2015, 08:22 PM
To add to our garden friends, I caught this little hedgehog and when I released him, he ran off like some turbo machine! I was born and I currently live in California... But I'm pure Hungarian so I speak read and write the language (pigeon breeding is also in my genes) this is because it is my first language and when I was 6 we moved there for 7 years, so it was fun to grow up in a different culture! To not go off topic, I just came back from Hungary (I visited Friends and family for a month) and while I was there, I was so glad to see some hedgehogs! They only come out at night, maybe some of you in the UK are familiar with these critters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.0 KB, 26 views)
Posted 2nd August 2015, 08:28 PM
Hedgehog is adorable. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 2nd August 2015, 08:58 PM
We actually call them squirrels here but yes they do have stripes like chipmunk and tail like squirrels. Don't know really what are they? Lol

Love the sparrows Jay, we had many nests in our previous places. I can't count how many times I collected dropped babies and kept back in nest but many times I found them dead, the location where one pair nested wasn't spacious and they would fell off from that and it was almost 7 feet high. Don't know if they do these silly things everywhere to nest where too little space to nest for babies.

Koomori, a beautiful pic really on feeder, loved the feeder too, is it hanging somewhere? What is it made of? We don't see any such feeders here..

Mac, the hedgehog is cute
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 3rd August 2015, 02:17 PM
This isn't really a feeder but you could call it one aha. Caught a hummingbird in my flower bed. Female ruby throat.

~~~Lucas~~~

Last edited by pigeon-lover0; 27th September 2015 at 09:45 AM..
Posted 4th August 2015, 05:07 AM
Loved your flower bed, had problems in finding humming bird tho, darn little mobile screen
I see humming birds here of different colors, those I commonly see are shiny blue and green and sometimes light colored as well. Very pretty but hard to catch them in camera, they fly fast.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 4th August 2015, 06:32 AM
You are lucky. Where I live there is only one type of hummingbird, but they are rather abundant. Glad you like my flowers

~~~Lucas~~~
Posted 4th August 2015, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon-lover0 View Post
You are lucky. Where I live there is only one type of hummingbird, but they are rather abundant. Glad you like my flowers
Too true, I only get the Ruby-throated Hummingbird in New York. I'd LOOOVE to see Anna's Hummingbirds in my yard though. But it totally counts as a feeder pic, you planted the flowers right? Hummingbirds drink flower juice so it's a feeder pic! (We're so relaxed, lol.)

Great shot, too. This is the first year I've been getting them (or noticing getting them) so I love seeing them. Our climates though. Uuuugh. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love New York and I am sure you enjoy Wisconsin, but they are definitely not very bird friendly when it comes to the warm-weather ones like Humming Birds. So we're kinda short on variety.

"ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ" - ガクト
My Instagram
Posted 4th August 2015, 07:31 AM
Lol, you couldn't be more right koomori. This is my first year of having the hummers as well. I finally decided to put a feeder up and now that my flower bed is larger they finally noticed it. Heck I'd just die to even see a roufus

But its too funny to watch the little guys fight over the feeder AND my flowers Lol.

Last edited by pigeon-lover0; 4th August 2015 at 07:52 AM..
Posted 4th August 2015, 08:21 PM
I love humming birds. I don't mind that we only get the ruby throat. They're cute.

Posted 4th August 2015, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I love humming birds. I don't mind that we only get the ruby throat. They're cute.

You and me both. What an adorable little female

~~~Lucas~~~
Posted 5th August 2015, 02:34 AM
Thumbs up

Jay, these are amazing. The shots are awesome and I don't think I can ever take such mind blowing shots of humming birds and that's sad . Well I am happy that I can at least see those, just loved the shots as well as the bird. Superb clicks.

Tags
birdwatching, feeders, local birds