Feeder Watch, Anyone? - Page 8 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 5th August 2015, 05:56 AM
Kiddy, you will take just as good shots and better. Just good timing. LOL. I love nature.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 5th August 2015, 06:01 AM
I think I may try when get a chance
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Last edited by kiddy; 5th August 2015 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: Change in thought so edited :)
Posted 5th August 2015, 09:27 PM
Oh I love hummers, we have them here, funny storey, hubby calls me outside two days ago. He said while sitting on the front porch putting on shoes, two hummers came and flew aroud his head and face about 2 inches from him and he thought they were gonna land on him, he said it sounded like the loudest buzzing bee u ever heard. Then they took off after their inspection. Now note: hubby was wearing a white shirt with a dark red stripe on shoulders and his hair is RED and curly lol, they must have thought he was a giant a$$ flower hahahahhaahah. Wish I had seen it. Also, has anyone had like a micro mini hummer at their feeder? I have had a few and am assuming they must be this years young that parents have shown our feeders too, they seem SOOOOOO tiny. Anyway after taking them down because of the bees, I put them back up again after they mistook hubbies head for a flower.

Posted 5th August 2015, 10:08 PM
Yes, the babies are cute. Try putting up a bee trap near the feeders. Sometimes that helps. Very annoying when the bees are so bad that the birds can't get to the feeders. Been there!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 6th August 2015, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBL View Post
Oh I love hummers, we have them here, funny storey, hubby calls me outside two days ago. He said while sitting on the front porch putting on shoes, two hummers came and flew aroud his head and face about 2 inches from him and he thought they were gonna land on him, he said it sounded like the loudest buzzing bee u ever heard. Then they took off after their inspection. Now note: hubby was wearing a white shirt with a dark red stripe on shoulders and his hair is RED and curly lol, they must have thought he was a giant a$$ flower hahahahhaahah. Wish I had seen it. Also, has anyone had like a micro mini hummer at their feeder? I have had a few and am assuming they must be this years young that parents have shown our feeders too, they seem SOOOOOO tiny. Anyway after taking them down because of the bees, I put them back up again after they mistook hubbies head for a flower.

LOL. CBL I have seen butterflies flying over our clothes when we wear something floral but not humming birds. Lol. I am sure that big flower was tempting them.
You just missed the shot
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 20th September 2015, 05:43 PM

The migration is on

We don't see hummingbirds except when it starts to cool and they begin massing along the southern coast to make the jump across the Gulf of Mexico. I don't know much about the species. I could only get a picture of this one. I have one hanging around that has a either a red or a purple throat, but it is extremely shy.

Posted 20th September 2015, 06:45 PM
Oh wow Chuck, great shots!!!
Love humming birds
Posted 27th September 2015, 12:34 PM

House Wren at the feeder

This one likes the suet.

Posted 27th September 2015, 12:40 PM

Black Throated Hummingbird

This booger is a little wild so the shot is slightly blurred because of the distance.
The iridescence in the throat patch flashes purple or red depending on the angle of the light. I at first thought it was a Ruby Throat, but I finally looked it up. I hope I have it right.
Update: I think I got the identification wrong on this one. I believe it is called a Black Chinned Hummingbird.

Last edited by Chuck K; 29th September 2015 at 10:27 AM..
Posted 27th September 2015, 04:18 PM
Very cute, but Chuck, that's a Carolina Wren. One of my favorites. Used to have one come to my hand for meal worms. The house wren is plainer, without so much of an eye stripe.
Great shots of the hummers. Looks like a female Ruby Throat, and the shy one is probably a male Ruby Throat.

Last edited by Jay3; 27th September 2015 at 04:21 PM..
Posted 27th September 2015, 04:26 PM

Carolina Wren

Thanks Jay, If I don't look them up I can never be sure I have correctly identified them. I've probably seen both types, but never realized there was a difference. These here in southeast Texas are probably a little different than the ones I used to see in west Texas.

They raised a couple of clutches of eggs in my wife's hanging flowers. One of the clutches about got drowned until I heard them chirping and told her to stop watering for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Very cute, but Chuck, that's a Carolina Wren. One of my favorites. Used to have one come to my hand for meal worms. The house wren is plainer, without so much of an eye stripe.
Great shots of the hummers. Looks like a female Ruby Throat, and the shy one is probably a male Ruby Throat.
Posted 27th September 2015, 05:47 PM
Oh, that's funny. They do nest in weird places. The Carolinas are a bit more outgoing I think, and they sing louder. The house wren seems more shy and to themselves.
The one I mentioned earlier, used to come in through my back window, and hop around to get my attention when the meal worm feeder was empty. He was a riot! Raised a couple of clutches here, for a couple of years and fed the babies right outside our window.

Last edited by Jay3; 27th September 2015 at 05:58 PM..
Posted 27th September 2015, 05:59 PM
These don't come to feeders, but do fly over.

Sea Gull

Posted 27th September 2015, 06:27 PM
Chuck, Beautiful shots, I wonder where the thread owner is these days!!!

Jay, that's very cute, esp when the worm is in beak. Eek

That seagull is quite different from what we see here in winters, those are migratory from Siberia. I don't know if really they are different or just that I didn't note them from the front. Will post a pic I have in another device.
Posted 27th September 2015, 07:25 PM
That'll be great. Like to see it.

Tags
birdwatching, feeders, local birds