Feeder Watch, Anyone? - Page 9 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 27th September 2015, 08:06 PM

Wrens

Jay,

Those were nice shots of the wren. I wish I could get them that tame here. They'll get close but not that close. The one in my pic was the first one I had ever seen on the feeder. We have a fence in the back that is overgrown with vines, and they spend most of their time hunting in those vines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th September 2015, 08:21 PM
That's because they like insects. They don't eat seeds. If you want to bring them in then you have to offer what they like. They don't come to seed feeders. They do like suet, and that is why he was at your suet feeder. They love meal worms, and they love small chopped, unsalted peanuts. Most of the song birds love chopped peanuts.
The first time I ever noticed a Carolina wren, I was leaving out chopped peanuts for my woodpeckers in the fall. This cute pesty little brown bird was following me around and chattering at me. Scolding me like they do. I had no idea what the heck he was, so went inside and looked him up. Turned out to be a Carolina Wren. So then I looked up to see what they like to eat. Turns out they like small chopped peanuts and other nuts, and shelled sunflower seed. They don't eat seed because they don't have the kind of beak they would need to open the seeds. But if it is open, and chopped small, they like the things I mentioned. Start putting those out where they will see them, and you will get a lot of opportunities to get good shots. The only thing is that most wild birds love peanuts and will grab them, so stock up. You will be surprised at what they will bring you.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 29th September 2015, 10:29 AM

Downy Woodpecker

I had a new visitor to the feeder this morning. It let me get nice and close.

Posted 29th September 2015, 10:42 AM
That's a beautiful bird. I have seen this kind of bird here, don't know if was exactly same but that had some similar markings. Will Google if we have this in India.
Good shot.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 29th September 2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks kiddy,

In the US there are about six or seven species of these little black and white woodpeckers that look very similar. I have to get out my bird books everytime to try to identify them. This one the Downy is almost exactly the same as the Hairy Woodpecker but the Hairy is bigger and not as tame.

Last edited by Chuck K; 29th September 2015 at 02:24 PM..
Posted 29th September 2015, 10:56 AM
Oh then I am not sure what I saw. Identification is tough. Good to have a bird book, though I usually search online.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 29th September 2015, 05:06 PM
Pretty little Downy female. I like it when the whole family comes in the springtime, early summer. The babies are so cute.
Nice Chuck.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 29th September 2015 at 05:47 PM..
Posted 29th September 2015, 05:46 PM
Here's a male baby downy. The red cap on his head starts on top, and as he grows up, it will end up on the back of his head. The parents bring them around to show them where to find food. So cute.

Posted 29th September 2015, 06:59 PM
Very cute pic of baby. Thanks to share.
I see you people are still able to upload pics while many including me are facing problem of "upload failed".
Posted 29th September 2015, 07:29 PM
I use Photobucket Kiddy.

Posted 30th September 2015, 04:13 AM
Ok that's why you are able to upload. My devices don't support that
Posted 21st October 2015, 10:14 AM

Not at my feeder, but...

My daughter and I went to a Raptor Fest last weekend and got to meet some beautiful birds.
The owl is an Eurasian Eagle Owl; the rehabilitators had raised him from an egg, so he was very friendly.
The bald eagle was found injured on the side of the road; they think he was hit by a vehicle while eating road kill. He had a broken leg and wing, which he has recovered from. Unfortunately though, he is blind in one eye and can't be released.
What an honor it was to meet these guys
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (99.5 KB, 10 views)
Posted 21st October 2015, 03:08 PM
He's a pretty bird.

Tags
birdwatching, feeders, local birds