Hey! Get off my car! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 19th April 2019, 06:29 AM
I had forgot about that crazy caterpillar boom. My dad was going to spray them, so as a kid I gathered all these caterpillars and put them in an old camper to “save” them ...lol.. they pretty much roasted in there with the heat. Lol..

Unrelated , but another interesting bird was a parrot Type bird native to the USA, The Carolina parakeet or conure along with another the thick billed parrot. Last known sighting was a subspecies in 1910. Declared extinct in 1939.
I’m planing to do some art paintings of them in Audubon style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th April 2019, 09:44 AM
You wanted to save the caterpillars?! OMG. I was trying everything under the sun to get rid of them - me and my brother. We came up with this: scoop up the caterpillars, put them in a pot with water and dish washing liquid, stir until they puked themselves dead, then poor into some mud and make mud pies out of them.

Didn't really do much to get rid of much of them but we felt like we were doing our part. That and swatting them after they turned into moths.

My parents would buy that sticky strip tape and place it around the trees to prevent them from climbing up to get the leaves. My mother heard they don't like tulip trees so lo and behold, we got a tulip tree!

It always sounded like it was raining outside when they ate. There were so many of them. And if you stepped on the caterpillars, it always made a popping sound like you were wearing heels.

Fun times.
Posted 19th April 2019, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Unrelated , but another interesting bird was a parrot Type bird native to the USA, The Carolina parakeet or conure along with another the thick billed parrot. Last known sighting was a subspecies in 1910. Declared extinct in 1939.
So many animals going extinct. I really wished at least 2 of the passenger pigeons had survived.

Posted 19th April 2019, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post
I had forgot about that crazy caterpillar boom. My dad was going to spray them, so as a kid I gathered all these caterpillars and put them in an old camper to “save” them ...lol.. they pretty much roasted in there with the heat. Lol..

Didn't know you were artistic. We would love to see them if you do the paintings. Do you mostly do nature pics? Nice to be able to do something like that.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 19th April 2019, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garye2 View Post
So many animals going extinct. I really wished at least 2 of the passenger pigeons had survived.
Unfortunately, people are responsible for most things in nature going extinct. We should be carers of things, not destroying them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 20th April 2019, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygrey View Post

Didn't know you were artistic. We would love to see them if you do the paintings. Do you mostly do nature pics? Nice to be able to do something like that.
Agree with Jay, we would love to see them if you do them 😊!
Posted 20th April 2019, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Oh yes, I’d love to show it when done, I do mostly nature and birds and animals. You can see my art work on Instagram under the name “gracebarka “

Tags
lunch visitor, sparrow