Hey! Get off my car! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 15th April 2019, 04:34 PM

Hey! Get off my car!

The nerve of him. I was just sitting here eating my lunch and he decided to join in on MY car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sparow109.jpg (186.8 KB, 39 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 15th April 2019, 08:35 PM
I would feel flattered that he sat with you.
Posted 16th April 2019, 03:05 AM
HA HA HA That was indeed funny what you said!

Posted 16th April 2019, 04:28 AM
What a lovely cheeky bird lol 😄 !
Posted 16th April 2019, 06:46 AM
Yeah, this one was BOLD. I guess it was hoping for some lunch.
Posted 18th April 2019, 06:16 AM
Lol so next time invite him for pizza 🤣!!!
Posted 18th April 2019, 07:19 AM
Well, I did have chicken on me... but somehow, I don't think he was really interested in that. I guess it would remind him of something else...
Posted 18th April 2019, 10:05 AM
Cute!!!..............
Posted 18th April 2019, 10:47 AM
House sparrows will eat chicken, and if you were sitting outside where people get food and eat, then he is probably used to being fed, or scavenging for scraps. So he probably did think you would feed him. I would have, as I usually do feed the birds when in that situation.
One time, sitting outside of McDonald's having a chicken sandwich, a pair of crows was running around scavenging food for their nestlings. I tore off pieces of my sandwich and tossed them to them. It was so cute, as they would eat the bread, lettuce, and tomato, then take the chicken back to their babies in their beak. They were saving the best part for their kids. Smart birds. Sometimes I get extra, just to feed the birds. I'm sure they appreciate it. Cute picture.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 18th April 2019, 10:57 AM
I was walking through a small park in the city a few weeks ago and saw a crow pick up and fly off with a rather large (for the crow's size) slice of pizza. That was quite remarkable.
Posted 18th April 2019, 01:12 PM
I didn't know sparrows ate meat so I guess he could've had part of my lunch that day - NOT!

I like to feed the birds too only some people don't like that I do. So I try to keep it to a minimum. Two pigeons were hanging around that day only they weren't so bold. They kept to a distance - just watched.

Crows will eat just about anything. I was looking out my house window and I saw a crow with a mouse hanging out of its beak. YES!!! He got rid of that pest for me!
Posted 18th April 2019, 02:57 PM
The House sparrow eat mostly seeds and fruits, occasionally they eat insects.

Interesting is they were first introduced in Brooklyn NY IN 1850. A bit of house sparrow trivia for ya.
Posted 18th April 2019, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I knew about the house sparrow being brought over from England. Americans in the 1800s thought it would be a good idea to bring over some animals from over there. I think they sent our grey squirrel over to England which is wreaking havoc with their red squirrel population. I think a lot of the reason why the Americans were bringing over these birds from Europe was because of Shakespeare's writings where he wrote about them.

We can do some stupid things.

The house sparrow annoys a lot of people here. I find them cute as I have some making their homes under my carport (yes, they do some damage to cars). I've watched them raise families - just seeing their babies with their mouths open waiting for meals from the parents is just fun to watch. We also brought over the starlings - THAT bird is annoying. They gather in huge clouds of flocks and just screech the whole day long.

Why-oh-why did they think bringing over the starlings was such a good idea?

The pigeon (the gray ones we all seem to like) was also brought over here from Europe. Aggie (the pigeon I'm rehabbing) could be Spanish, French or English!

I won't even talk about the stupidity of them bringing over the gypsy moths trying to make silk. God, the damage those things do to trees.
Posted 18th April 2019, 10:41 PM
Actually, starlings have driven me crazy for years, as they can wreak havoc at the bird feeders. Until they saved the day by eating most of the gypsy moths in our yard. Every one we talked to was having their trees defoliated and ruined by the moths caterpillars. We do have bird feeders, but most of the song birds either don't eat the gypsy moth, or not enough of them. Then one day we were sitting up under the trees and watching the chewed up leaves falling down like snow, when a flock of starlings flew over head and into the trees above us. They were there for quite a while, as they were feeding their fledglings that had followed them. I couldn't believe it! Starlings were gobbling the gypsy moth caterpillars, at an amazing rate. They did this daily for a few days, and the leaves stopped falling, and the insects for the most part were gone. They moved all around the yard that week cleaning our trees of the horrible caterpillars. We didn't get much damage at all from them that year, thanks to these birds. Now, I welcome them in the yard for springtime, and start trying to attract them in the later part of the winter.
So starlings do have redeemable qualities too.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 19th April 2019, 03:18 AM
Having lived in Massachusetts myself all my life, I remember that year when the gypsy moths took over. The caterpillars were crawling all over the place. They would get up in the trees, eat the leaves and then fall down with the leaves. Defoliation everywhere. They loved the color white. I also remember seeing the birds struggling to eat the things. At least they were trying! You should've seen them - they were flipping the caterpillars just trying to get a footing on them.

Trying to get those caterpillars off you was incredibly yucky. They felt awful to the touch and they CLUNG.

My brother and I would make a game out of them once they turned into moths. We'd get paddles and fly swatters and try to hit them as they fly. It was a challenge as they didn't seem to fly straight but would swerve as they flew.

My father's favorite pastime at the time was to go on a superhighway at top speed so the caterpillars would fall off his car. Better than picking them off by hand!

Tags
lunch visitor, sparrow