Spring Time Reminder About Baby Birds - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 14th March 2011, 06:57 AM
Arrow

Spring Time Reminder About Baby Birds

just a reminder about what to do when one finds a baby bird.. please tell your family and friends to get the word out.. if any members want to add please do!.....this info may help decrease the incoming for rehabbers in the months to come.. (one can hope..lol..).

This is pasted from the Audubon society.

Info What to do if you Find a Baby Bird

The following is a quick guide to help you make the right decision should you find a baby bird that you think might be in need of rescuing.

Many species of birds such as robins, scrub jays, crows and owls leave the nest and spend as many as 2-5 days on the ground before they can fly.

This is an absolutely normal and vital part of their development. They are cared for and protected by their parents and are taught vital life skills (finding food, identifying predators, flying) during this period.

Taking these birds into captivity denies them the opportunity to learn skills that they will need to survive in the wild. Unless a bird is injured, it is essential to leave them outside to learn from their parents.

Nestlings on the Ground

If you are concerned that the bird fell from the nest too early, you may try and return the bird to its nest.

If the nest has been destroyed or is unreachable, you may substitute a strawberry basket or small box lined with tissue and suspend it from a branch near to where you believe the nest is located.

Birds have a poor sense of smell and very strong parental instincts and will usually continue caring for their young.

However, adult birds are cautious after any type of disturbance and it may take several hours before they approach the nestling.

During this period it is essential that humans not approach the nestling.

Fledglings on the Ground
Fledglings are typically fully feathered, with a short tail and wings. They are able to walk, hop and flap and may attempt short flights, but are still being cared for by the parents.

If you find a fledgling, it should be left alone or at the most, placed into a nearby shrub. Keep people and pets away so the parents will continue to care for it until it can fly.

Placing fledglings back into nests is typically only a short-term solution, as they will quickly re-emerge. Moving fledglings to entirely new locations is also ineffective as they are still dependant on their parents for survival and will quickly starve.

Common Questions and Concerns
Why can't I raise it myself or bring it to the Wildlife Care Center?

Raising wild birds in captivity is always a last resort and should only occur when a young bird is known to be injured or orphaned. Although it may seem "safer" to raise young birds in captivity, birds raised without the benefit of learning from their parents only have a minimal chance of survival when released. (photo: ©Marti Stromberg)

My neighborhood is full of cats, dogs, cars and other potential hazards

These are very real hazards and do lead to mortalities. However, all young birds face hazards regardless of whether they live on urban, suburban or wild landscapes.

The best thing you can do is to try to reduce hazards wherever possible. Bringing individual baby birds into captivity will not help either its siblings or the many other birds nesting in your neighborhood.

I feel like I need to do something to help this bird

As difficult as it may be, oftentimes the best thing you can do is leave a baby bird alone and try to reduce neighborhood hazards.

A baby bird may seem helpless and vulnerable, but many do survive even in the most urban of locations. While it may feel safer, removing young birds from the wild usually reduces their chance for survival.

So you want me to wait until the bird is injured to bring it to you?

Our hope is that you will be able to help reduce some of the hazards facing baby birds in your neighborhood. This is the best way to not only protect the bird you have found, but also all the wildlife in your neighborhood.

The Wildlife Care Center is a hospital, and bringing healthy baby birds to a rehabilitation facility to prevent them from being injured makes no more sense than raising healthy human children at a hospital to prevent them from becoming sick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Thank you, Spirit Wings! Baby bird season is indeed starting .. hummingbirds here in California for the past month and others starting to show up. There are some good posts/threads here about baby birds other than pigeons and doves. I'll try to find them and post them in the next few days.

Terry

Posted 5th April 2011, 10:27 AM
bumping............... have been getting some here already at the clinic... just a reminder.. tell your circle of friends as well...

Posted 10th April 2012, 07:01 AM
now that it is spring 2012.... here we go again.
Posted 4th May 2012, 07:47 AM
bumpity bump bump
Posted 8th May 2012, 12:37 PM
this is really helpful for stupid people who think they can raise a baby bird.they wont live a normal life if raised in captivity.......i know a lt of idiots who actually take the birds out of their nest.i usually make them put the birds back but sometimes the mother goes off because there are no more babies in her nest.thank you so so much for this post
Posted 8th May 2012, 01:15 PM
most of these people are not stupid...they just do not know better and want to help and think the baby/s is/are an orphan when most likely it is not. these people are well meaning. for the ones who steal out of nests..That is about as wrong as it gets.
Posted 8th May 2012, 01:38 PM
Great thread - I am envious of the new life you guys are about to encounter, We are heading into autumn here, atleast there will be less sparrows around lining up to get into my loft, Also the fantails, tuis and woodpigeons will come down from the hills so I may see them a little more. Anyway slightly off subject but thought it would BUMP the thread at the same time.