Straight up birdwatching! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 5th August 2015, 10:41 AM
These were like the red wings but being under them I didn't see any red on the wing, and I'll bet there were several thousand. I am a rural letter carrier I drive the same rout every day and have never seen any thing like this before, it was around 11 AM.
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 5th August 2015, 11:00 AM

Cranes and egrets

Koomori,
We have a lot of the Great Blue Herons and Cattle Egrets in southeast Texas. I will try to get some pics. I occasionally see a small blue heron in this neighborhood, I have looked up the name but can't remember it. I haven't managed to get a pic. Reservoirs, lakes, estuaries are great places for bird watching. I have been trying to get my wife to take a trip down to the coast for some bird photography. Thanks for putting up this thread.

kiddy,
That crane is very similar to the Cattle Egrets in this area, but I think they are a smaller bird.

Pete,
Your pic didn't come through, but I would sure like to see it if you can get it posted. When I was a child I spent a lot of time in southeast Oklahoma with my kinfolks. In the winters vast flocks of red-winged blackbirds and cowbirds would move through that country. I wish I had your job. I used to drive a hundred miles or more a day working in the oilfields of west Texas / southeast New Mexico. I always got to see a lot of different wildlife. The best I could do in the last ten years in a highrise office in Houston was the occasional hawk or falcon hovering outside the 35th floor window watching the pigeons on the roof below.

Last edited by Chuck K; 5th August 2015 at 11:06 AM..
Posted 5th August 2015, 04:42 PM
Chuck,

Western Meadow Larks are so handsome! The Eastern Meadow Larks are at the top of my "field bird" list but so far I have been unsuccessful in getting any pictures - or even sightings for that matter. I'm planning another trip up to the Five Rivers EEC in Delmar, NY where I photographed some Bobolinks, hopefully the Larks will be there. I'm missing a lot of waterfowl, all my owls, most of the hawks and all but 2 warblers.

I hope you and the missus can get out by the coast. I'm looking forward to hitting NYC at some point before the winter to try and spot some pelicans. There used to be one under the Twin Bridges but it abandoned its nest when some construction projects started. What a shame but... that's half the adventure of birdwatching right? I'm also eager to see some Magnificent Frigatebirds and Northern Gannets (if I'm lucky)... if you've never seen either of these... they're worth looking up. Very gorgeous birds.

I'm definitely looking forward to more of your pics though, I LOVE seeing birds that I don't get here in NY and just seeing the different variations between Northeast and Western/Southern and worldwide is fantastic. I'm glad I started this thread too. It needed to happen. I make stuff happen. LOL Thank me in posts.

Kiddy,

Maybe our birds are "the same but different" kind of like how Chuck's meadowlark is related to mine but they don't look exactly alike. I'd be really interested to research this but I'd have to know more. I'm going to do some more reading on Indian birds tonight after I study for my exam. I'll take a bird break.

Crazy Pete,

Well, that blows my theory out of the water. LOL Maybe it is a migration! I've never seen Red-winged Blackbirds migrate - mostly because I never lived in an area where they were abundant. I have a small population in the former landfill behind my college campus so I'll start making note of their movements. presently, I am still hearing and seeing them around. I wish I could teleport to where you are so I can record it. Why hasn't this been invented yet? My bank deposits get sucked through a tube, why can't I? Star Trek this shizz already.

Pigeon Lover,

Don't say the "W" word. It will hear you. You'll call it forth. LOL My city used so much rock salt last year that it literally ate up our streets causing a TON of destruction. That and the frost was so deep in the ground that pipes were freezing, water wouldn't heat up... I was just waiting for the wolves to come and make it a triple mess. I love the Northeast but only between May and November. The only saving grace is the fact that most people don't bird watch so I get the state parks pretty much to myself. LOTS of birding opportunities. Snow shoes are a must though. And jerky. Lots of jerky.

"ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ" - ガクト
My Instagram

Posted 5th August 2015, 08:49 PM
I'll make it a point to go out to Lexington Ne when the geese are migrating and get some pics, they stop over by the millions.
Dave
Posted 5th August 2015, 09:00 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/DEkwIvS_PP8/mqdefault.jpg

I've been on the Platte river when this was going on, and then you have to add a million or so ducks, and just as many geese it is a wonder full sight.
Dave
Posted 21st August 2015, 01:38 PM
Chuck, love the Western Meadow Lark, beautiful

Crazypete, Thanks for the pic, geese are wonderful. Resemble to red headed cranes tho.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Last edited by kiddy; 21st August 2015 at 01:46 PM..
Posted 21st August 2015, 01:45 PM
After a long break I got a common Indian bird. Lol. But as a native of India and not a migratory, it shouldn't be common there. So thought to share tho it is not in your birds list too. It is called Jungle Babbler and it is a common bird in India . I think there is some other babbler bird in U.S ? Not sure as the name is not in list. Well this is mine and it chirps loud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSCN0194.jpg (58.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RSCN0195.jpg (69.5 KB, 20 views)
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 21st August 2015, 07:03 PM
I just had to play catch up, I forgot to check this thread and I'm so glad I did. CrazyPete (Dave) - my oh my look at that! I have NEVER seen those cranes before so I am guessing they are one of many wonderful birds that can't stand the NY climate. The closest to that we get are flocks of these:

These are Double-crested Comorants and we get pretty large flocks, not in the 100's but definitely in the dozens. I took this picture a few weeks ago up at a local reservoir where it is illegal to even park too close to it. Suffice to say the birdwatching up there is amazing and just about the only thing you don't need a permit for. There are also Common Loons, Mute Swans, Belted Kingfishers... a whole bunch of really cool shorebirds, fishing passers and waterfowl. If you have reservoirs near you, you should check them out. It really says a lot about the freshness of the water if all those birds are attracted to it.

And in terms of migration, if you do go to Lexington, that'd be great to see pictures of. I'll pay it back by posting pictures of the migrations up here. I'm going to a Nighthawk watch on Wednesday and then on Sept. 12th I'll be at a hawk migration watch in probably one of the highest points in my region. I'll update this thread with any photos I get.

Kiddy, I'm pretty sure we don't get them here. I'd also have to look back at the list but they don't sound familiar. Pretty little birds though! I'd like to see them, they look like a cross between a finch and a wren.

In, other news... I can cross the Scarlet Tanager off my list (almost)!

This is a female though But since there is a female I know there is a male there somewhere. This picture was taken at Peebles Island, State Park in my former hometown of Waterford, NY. It's a pretty small place but if you ever want to take a shockingly challenging hike within 4 hours and see a TON of deer and birds - this is a great place. Since it's small you can literally follow the birds around. I was doing this with a flock of gulls trying to find Laughing Gulls and Great Black-Backed gulls. Only managed to get Ring-billed Gulls and common Rock Gulls. Phooey. I need to plan my annual NYC trip. I want to see an Atlantic Puffin sooooooo bad.

My Instagram

Last edited by Koomori; 21st August 2015 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: BCC coding fail. The 90's are mad at me now.
Posted 21st August 2015, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koomori View Post
I just had to play catch up, I forgot to check this thread and I'm so glad I did. CrazyPete (Dave) - my oh my look at that! I have NEVER seen those cranes before so I am guessing they are one of many wonderful birds that can't stand the NY climate. The closest to that we get are flocks of these:

These are Double-crested Comorants and we get pretty large flocks, not in the 100's but definitely in the dozens. I took this picture a few weeks ago up at a local reservoir where it is illegal to even park too close to it. Suffice to say the birdwatching up there is amazing and just about the only thing you don't need a permit for. There are also Common Loons, Mute Swans, Belted Kingfishers... a whole bunch of really cool shorebirds, fishing passers and waterfowl. If you have reservoirs near you, you should check them out. It really says a lot about the freshness of the water if all those birds are attracted to it.

And in terms of migration, if you do go to Lexington, that'd be great to see pictures of. I'll pay it back by posting pictures of the migrations up here. I'm going to a Nighthawk watch on Wednesday and then on Sept. 12th I'll be at a hawk migration watch in probably one of the highest points in my region. I'll update this thread with any photos I get.

Kiddy, I'm pretty sure we don't get them here. I'd also have to look back at the list but they don't sound familiar. Pretty little birds though! I'd like to see them, they look like a cross between a finch and a wren.

In, other news... I can cross the Scarlet Tanager off my list (almost)!

This is a female though But since there is a female I know there is a male there somewhere. This picture was taken at Peebles Island, State Park in my former hometown of Waterford, NY. It's a pretty small place but if you ever want to take a shockingly challenging hike within 4 hours and see a TON of deer and birds - this is a great place. Since it's small you can literally follow the birds around. I was doing this with a flock of gulls trying to find Laughing Gulls and Great Black-Backed gulls. Only managed to get Ring-billed Gulls and common Rock Gulls. Phooey. I need to plan my annual NYC trip. I want to see an Atlantic Puffin sooooooo bad.
You don't see Sandhill cranes? Wow in surprised with WI's weather not much different than NY. I always suspected you guys had them too.

~~~Lucas~~~
Posted 21st August 2015, 11:26 PM
Comorants and Scarlet Tanager are beautiful.
About Jungle Babblers, they may resemble finches and wrens but actually they are very large sized, almost half to 3/4 of a feral pigeon and yes I like them, they too fly in flocks, not large flocks tho like pigeons but around 6-8 birds together.
Posted 22nd August 2015, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon-lover0 View Post
You don't see Sandhill cranes? Wow in surprised with WI's weather not much different than NY. I always suspected you guys had them too.
They are on the NYS bird list but so far I have only seen them in captivity so I don't count them. I just haven't been to a region where they were seen and I suppose they may be a bit more rare in the Upstate part of NY. Perhaps down by the coast. I know that in NYC (Brooklyn area) there is a healthy population of Dunlin and other shorebirds. I'm hoping that when I hit the city next summer I can knock a few birds off my list - the Sandhill Crane being one of them. Though I'm also after the Pelicans. They are so big and their beaks are just... fabulous. lol

Also, I totally derped out and posted the wrong bird. Ha, ha. In my last post that picture is of a female American Redstart. Whoops!! Here is the female Tanager;

Both of these birds were seen in the exact same spot though. Literally, maybe about a football field's length away from one another on the very same hike.

I have trouble with these yellow birds. I have to look at the beaks and the general shape and size of them. The only thing I am worse at is Warblers - they all confuse me. That's when I just take pictures and look them up later. Mind-boggling little buggers they are. Very cute but for the colorblind birder such as myself - extremely difficult to tell apart without my handy dandy Sibley's Guide.

My Instagram
Posted 22nd August 2015, 09:04 AM
Lol. For my kind of person I neither saw Redstart nor Tanager so whatever you say I totally trust it on your knowledge. You are lucky to have me to support whatever you say. Lol
Posted 23rd August 2015, 08:40 PM
I just loved this one, this was chirping continuously since long and I was trying hard to find where the voice is coming from as it was hiding in tree. Took a long time to finally spot and click its pic and it disappeared again so I missed its whole pic including tail.
Any guess what's the name?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0298.jpg (98.5 KB, 10 views)
Posted 27th August 2015, 10:19 AM
I wish I knew, but I have no idea. I just did about 10 Google searches and I couldn't find it. I really have to get a book on Indian birds - which I have been meaning to anyway and this thread just gives me an excuse. LOL

But that is a very pretty bird. I was thinking it was possibly in the Wren or Lark family but the beak doesn't seem right for either. Like I said, I'm getting a book. I need to put a name to it or it'll make me go bonkers. Besides, Indian birds are absolutely gorgeous.

This gallery is a REALLY good example of some beautiful Indian birds that perhaps you can see if you can try and spot. The names of the birds are under the pictures so at least you can start building your knowledge base. I've already peeled through all 23 pages of this gallery and did not fine the bird in your picture. I don't think it is a migrant though, because you said it was singing. Singing is usually indicative of territory upholding or mate attraction, and birds tend not to mate while they are stopping over or in a state of migration. So, I believe the bird in your picture is a resident of your area so you should be able to find it again.

As for my own adventures in bird watching, I attended a evening Common Nighthawk Migration event last night! It was really cool and it was held in a local preserve in my Capital City - which oddly enough hosts the last remaining natural sand dune area in New York State. At first we (my father and I) weren't seeing much. Then a beautiful Red-Tailed Hawk landed about 30 yards from us and I was able to get great pictures (which I'll post in a later reply when I transfer the photos to my laptop). Unfortunately, though we did see Nighthawks, they were flying too high and too fast for me to get on film. I took a ton of pictures of the study skin that the State Ornithologist provided which I will also post just so you can all see what out Common Nighthawk, or "The Flying Mouth", looks like.

My Instagram

Last edited by Koomori; 27th August 2015 at 10:22 AM..
Posted 27th August 2015, 10:52 AM
Oh I thought I must have spotted a common bird but don't know, even I am not able to see it in gallery but will have to check again. And yes you are right it was in our yard so I think I can spot it again, will keep looking for it. It was very early morning when I saw it and usually I am bad at waking up early so hard for me but I will try.

Would love to see hawk's pics for sure as soon as you upload. Bird watching is really fun. Love it