Straight up birdwatching! - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 27th August 2015, 12:37 PM
Like you wrote it looks like some kind of a Wren but the beak looks different larger or something. It's most likely a common bird. But I do not know and not good at judging what birdies are as well. To me it also looks like a large male sparrow but I am sure that's not what it is. Pretty picture Kiddy. India does have some beautiful birds. The only birds we get in my backyard are sparrows, a few robins and a few Ring Neck Doves as well as Crows, Starlings, Woodpeckers, and a medium size black bird and really don't know what kind it is and I just call it a Quack Quack. But they migrate by the hundreds at a certain time of year. I also have Geese flying over when they move from place to place and a few Pigeon Hawks flying through as well as pigeons. Not good at titling birds but enjoy watching them in the yard. I think where I live in the city it is just too dry for special birds especially Robins for they do not stay long and travel on. I like Robins and one of my favorites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 27th August 2015, 01:08 PM
May be a common bird but never saw it before and it looked pretty with black ring at neck and loud chirps. Will try to spot once again
I love all of them my childhood favourite is "bulbul". probably called nightingale there, don't know if you have that there? Will post a pic of that too.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 28th August 2015, 01:06 PM

Galveston Trip

Here comes the bomb. The wife and I went down to Galveston Island yesterday, and it was to hot to fish so I took the camera.

I missing out on a couple of species that I really wanted pictures of, and sometimes see down there like the Roseate Spoonbill, and the American Avocet. I did manage to get a lot of birds. I had to look almost all these up in bird books to identify them since I am not very familiar with the coastal birds. I think I have most of them correct but there could be a couple of errors.

First up, the Belted Kingfisher. This bird was a long way off so the picture quality is lacking. I didn't really expect to see this birds on the island.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belted Kingfisher GI (8-27-15)1.jpg (18.8 KB, 11 views)

Posted 28th August 2015, 01:11 PM

Black Bellied Plover

The black bellied plover is one of those I had to look up. I had seen them before but didn't know the name. Most of the time I can get close enough to the type of bird to find it in one of my books or online. The picture quality is still a little off on this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Bellied Plover GI (8-27-15)2.jpg (89.4 KB, 10 views)
Posted 28th August 2015, 01:26 PM

Brown Pelican

These birds are always present on Galveston Island in large numbers. I got a few good shots of them. It looks like I am going to have to post the pics of them one at a time if I want them loaded as attachments. This one is not the greatest of quality. It can be hard to get the focus right on flying birds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown Pelican Flying GI (8-27-15)6.JPG (67.3 KB, 12 views)
Posted 28th August 2015, 01:29 PM

Another Brown Pelican

This up close bird appeared to be ill. They usually would fly off if you get close. This one didn't ever fly, and it was in an area back in the island that was very swampy. They are usually in the bay or on the beach front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown Pelican Ill GI (8-27-15)8.jpg (98.2 KB, 10 views)
Posted 28th August 2015, 01:33 PM

A couple more shots of the pelicans

Taking a break on the gulf side water.

They congregate in huge flocks back on the bay side islands along with all kinds of other birds.

Posted 28th August 2015, 01:43 PM

Caspian Tern

I think I have the identifcation correct on this one. The yelow bill was the best identifier I could find. A lot of the gulf birds have black heads in the breeding season that turn whiter in the winter. The juveniles also often look very different than the adults. I think this bird is an adult Caspian Tern that is moult toward a whiter head right now.

Skimming the waves

On the lookout below.

I'm keeping an eye on you.

Ok, I'm outta here.
Posted 28th August 2015, 01:48 PM

Great Blue Heron

These guys like the salt water too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Great Blue Heron GI (8-27-15)1.jpg (84.3 KB, 19 views)
Posted 28th August 2015, 01:58 PM

Great Egret

These birds are found back in the salt marshes on the bay side. They hunt crabs and fish in the brackish shallow water.

Posted 28th August 2015, 02:01 PM

White Ibis

This bird is another that feeds back in the salt marshes off the back bays.

Posted 28th August 2015, 02:12 PM

Yellow Crowned Night Heron?

My identification of these two may be off. Two types of Night Herons are common on the Texas coast. The Yellow Crowned and the Black Crowned. These birds fit one of these species, and I think they are immature Yellow Crowned birds that don't have the final coloring. The descriptions I have read for the Yellow Crown more closely match the appearance of these two than the descriptions and pictures I have found for the Black Crowned. I do have the Black Crowned Night Herons that live in my neighborhood a hundred miles north of the coast, but I have never managed to capture a picture of them.

This first bird as a broken leg that is healing. It is managing to feed itself and it can fly and get around fairly well.

This second one appears to be younger. He was sitting almost fully submerged when I cam upon him, and he just stood and shook the water off. It was getting pretty hot that time of afternoon.

Posted 28th August 2015, 02:16 PM

Sandwich Tern

I think this is my favorite picture of the day. I was finally able to identify this tern species by the bill. It is black with a yellow tip. Again the head is not typical of the bird in the breeding season, but is typical of pictures I found of the juveniles.

Posted 28th August 2015, 06:07 PM

Willet

The Willet or Western Willet is another of the bay waders.

Posted 28th August 2015, 06:18 PM

Laughing Gull

The Laughing Gull is fairly common. I believe this is juvenile or an adult thta is moulting into winter plumage. The adults are normally black headed.