Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 28th August 2015, 06:22 PM

Ruddy Turnstone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th August 2015, 06:30 PM

Mexican Ducks

These ducks are a subspecies of Mallards. They look like a Mallard hen, but in this subspecies even when the drakes mature they don't get the green heads and ringed necks.

Posted 28th August 2015, 06:35 PM

Royal Terns

The beaches were covered in large flocks of pelicans, gulls, terns, and plovers. The bay marshes were covered in wading birds. The wife made the comment that it was so weird to see so many of them at one time. I think it was probably the timing with a lot of young birds showing up in the population this late into the summer. I guess they had a very good year.

This picture was cropped but the flock was much bigger. All the birds in the rear were out of focus.

Posted 28th August 2015, 09:34 PM
Great photos!
Posted 29th August 2015, 02:40 AM
Great Chuck!!! Atom bomb
Overwhelming pics . loved to see them. Great egret is really like our white crane but with a longer neck. I have seen pelicans in zoo here but never saw the brown one. Loved the cute flock of Royal terns, loved the Willet, ruddy turnstone and mexican ducks. Gulls we see here in winters as migratory birds over and on the banks river Ganges The young crowned heron 's pic is awesome even if he is something else, the pic too good
Amazing pics of flying Caspian and sandwich terns. All in all the each and every pic is amazing. Thanks to share.
Great shots indeed!!!
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.

Last edited by kiddy; 29th August 2015 at 02:43 AM..
Posted 30th August 2015, 10:45 PM
All of them are just wonderful pictures. Really enjoyed seeing all those different birds especially around the water areas.. really nice...Thanks..
Posted 27th September 2015, 12:49 PM

Pileated Woodpecker

These birds come to the big White Oak in my back yard a few times a year. This one was calling far and wide I think it was trying to location parents or it's mate. I actually believe it is a young bird as I have seen some of the older ones, they have a little more white on them. I have never seen any of the Pileated come down into the yard or to the feeder.

They are usually fairly wild which is also one of the reasons I believed this one is young. Even after it spotted me it didn't stop calling or fly away.

Last edited by Chuck K; 27th September 2015 at 08:07 PM..
Posted 27th September 2015, 06:51 PM
Nice shot Chuck.
1)when you go to a vet, tell him/her that the bird is ALWAYS your pet, (unless you know the vet and know they will not euthanize) 2)You STAY with the bird, even while they are taking samples for tests or whatever 3) You NEVER walk away and leave the bird with vet. Else... they may just Euthanize it.
Posted 28th September 2015, 07:31 AM
Wow, Chuck, I wish I could get that close to the Pileateds. I have only managed to get few pictures of the pair in my neighborhood and they came out like crap because I had to use my cellphone and take them from the car.

I have missed so much here. LOL I only JUST NOW got caught up on my school work (let's see how long this lasts before I'm behind again). I am kicking myself for taking so many credits ON TOP of a job. I refuse to give up volunteering until the winter forces me to though. Same thing with bird watching!

I got Wood Ducks!

And a female Common Yellowthroat (I'm shocked we still even have warblers up here in NY -it's been getting down to the 40's a night.)

And here is a non-breeding adult male European Starling. These birds are nasty and mean but they sure are pretty! I was doing some "urban birding" on the south (gangster lol) side of town. I hate going to that part of the city but that's where my doctor's office is and also where there are a ton of inner-city hoodrat birds like these.

"ナンバーワンには興味ない。オンリーワンでい続けるだけ" - ガクト
My Instagram
Posted 1st November 2015, 02:21 PM
I was wondering where you have been koomori. I think I missed this post. These are some really nice pics. Thanks.
I captured a dove which is pretty common but I am loving the way he is gathering sticks and making his nest in this tree(behind) in our yard. I didn't notice a dove before who is nesting in a tree? Like a wood pigeon! Such a cute bird and I am watching him since a few days and fell in love with his nesting enthusiasm. He is collecting sticks very fast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0705.jpg (100.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0706.jpg (99.5 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by kiddy; 2nd November 2015 at 07:56 AM..
Posted 1st November 2015, 02:28 PM
I couldn't recognise this bird but attracted me was their friendship. I always watch doves chasing all the birds. Doves seems to be lot more territorial than pigeons, I see them chasing many birds daily but this was quite unusual when they seemed to be literally talking. They were there together for a long time in sun. I am still wondering which bird was this, I saw him again the very next day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0653.jpg (87.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0666.jpg (92.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0665.jpg (92.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0650.jpg (87.8 KB, 15 views)
Posted 1st November 2015, 03:02 PM
Lovely photos! Thank you for sharing them.
Posted 1st November 2015, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck K View Post
These birds come to the big White Oak in my back yard a few times a year. This one was calling far and wide I think it was trying to location parents or it's mate. I actually believe it is a young bird as I have seen some of the older ones, they have a little more white on them. I have never seen any of the Pileated come down into the yard or to the feeder.

They are usually fairly wild which is also one of the reasons I believed this one is young. Even after it spotted me it didn't stop calling or fly away.

Love these birds Chuck. They're really cool too. They drill holes in the side of a tree or old barn or something, and fill them with acorns. Then the pair guard their stash from other birds and animals. Interesting birds.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 1st November 2015, 04:31 PM
Kiddy, I love the pics of your dove building a nest. So pretty, and cute that he is collecting the sticks.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 2nd November 2015, 03:57 AM
Thanks Jay, It makes my day to see him flying with sticks to the tree. Very hard working and soooo cute. Love him.