Video - 1st Chick Leaving Nest - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Bird Watching

Notices

Posted 1st July 2016, 09:02 AM

Video - 1st Chick Leaving Nest

This is the second brood by the same robin in this nest. We were lucky enough to watch in person the chicks leave the nest early morning yesterday. Here's a video of the first one leaving (at around 2:40 on the video). The look on the faces of his/her siblings is funny. It's as if they thinking..."You can fly?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptVR1XLHnQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st July 2016, 09:34 AM
Wow! Darling youngsters! What a precious moment you captured, thank you for sharing it with us.

Posted 1st July 2016, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeking View Post
Wow! Darling youngsters! What a precious moment you captured, thank you for sharing it with us.
You're very welcome.

Yesterday was bittersweet. We got to see the chicks fly out of the nest, but will miss them all so much. For weeks (again, this is the second brood) we have watched nest building, eggs being laid & hatched, mom and dad bird feeding and standing guard. The nest is right outside our rear patio door, so we would greet the mom everyday. She typically stayed in the nest as we walked right under her. We would check on them in the evenings/days via an app on our phones. The experience has been really cool.

Posted 1st July 2016, 10:47 AM
I'm sure you will miss them because you cared for them, and experienced all those special moments.

I'm glad you appreciated these moments enough to share, but I'm sorry you are going thru "empty nest" syndrome.

Posted 1st July 2016, 03:05 PM
Darling little birds! Maybe they will return some day with a nest of their own.
Posted 1st July 2016, 10:54 PM
That is really nice to have experienced them so close by. Thanks for sharing. Adorable.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 1st July 2016, 11:02 PM
Nice video, surely they must still be around with mom and dad teaching them how to find insects. Put down a small bowl of grated cheese, they just love that!
Posted 1st July 2016, 11:19 PM
I have very young robins running around in our backyard, not long out of the nest. I do put stuff down for them, but didn't know they liked grated cheese. Thanks for the idea!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 2nd July 2016, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Nice video, surely they must still be around with mom and dad teaching them how to find insects. Put down a small bowl of grated cheese, they just love that!
We see and hear them all day long. Yesterday, I saw the mom/dad hopping along our back fence line with 2 following closely. In the trees in and around our yard, we can hear them calling to their parents for food. Of course, we can hear their excitement when the parents bring them food.
Posted 2nd July 2016, 11:21 AM
I've read about the grated cheese on the internet. My friend's cat caught a Cape Robin, and I did not know what to feed the poor bird. The grated cheese kept him alive until I was able to get hold of mealworms. He also likes earthworms and woodlice (pillbugs). Poor birdie still can't fly after a month now, just hops all over the place and eats A LOT! I guess their metabolism must be very high cause they are always on the go.
Posted 2nd July 2016, 11:47 AM
Well the cheese is a good thing to know. I hope he will know how to survive when you release him. I always worry about that with songbirds, as you don't want to keep them prisoners forever, but don't know how well they will do without parents to show them.
We raised a nest of starlings once, then took them outside when young to practice looking for bugs and such. Finally let them go in the yard.

Posted 2nd July 2016, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Well the cheese is a good thing to know. I hope he will know how to survive when you release him. I always worry about that with songbirds, as you don't want to keep them prisoners forever, but don't know how well they will do without parents to show them.
We raised a nest of starlings once, then took them outside when young to practice looking for bugs and such. Finally let them go in the yard.
My son found a baby robin (not from the pair of birds at our patio). It was hopping around in our yard, was not able to fly. We waited for the parents to feed him, but it never happened through the day. We decided to protect him from potential night predators, then put him back in the yard in the morning. He stayed in our yard, still no one feeding him. So, we started digging up worms and he took them from us. After a while, he would hop over to where we were digging and got the worms himself. Eventually, he started getting the worms right out of the middle of the lawn just like the other robins. After about a week, he started leaving our yard in the early evenings. We have no clue where he would go, but he would come back every day first thing in the morning and stick around our yard most of the day. I had coffee and cookies with him on a few occasions. I would go outside early AM for coffee and a couple of cookies, and out of no where, he would land on the table and want a piece of my cookie. Over a 2 week period, we would see him intermittently through the day (still, always in the mornings and in the evenings). As the 2 weeks progressed, we would see him less and less through the day, but he always came by just before dark as if to say goodnight. Then one day, we didn't see him morning or evening. We figured he must have found his bird family, and preferred them over his human family. We named him Buddy. That was a magical spam of 3+ weeks. To have a wild robin come visit was amazing. He would often land on our shoulder, or a knee as we sat on our back deck. In all my life, I will remember that bird. We've had a couple (or the same robin) get very close to us as we're in the back yard. Perhaps it's Buddy a little more grown up? I'll post a picture of Buddy later.
Posted 2nd July 2016, 03:40 PM
Here's a picture of Buddy early on...
https://buddythebird.shutterfly.com/pictures/9

I have lots more pictures and videos of Buddy. I'll share more when I have time to upload. Perhaps Buddy is a female? We're not sure, but for whatever reason, my son decided Buddy was a he, not a she. If someone here can tell by this picture if Buddy is a female...well, we'll have to call her Budette, or something similar.

Last edited by WilliamH4; 2nd July 2016 at 03:46 PM..
Posted 2nd July 2016, 06:45 PM
Hard to tell at that stage. When they mature, the male is the one with the darker, brighter colors. The females colors are softer.
Yes, it is nice when you can make friends with a wild bird. I had a male carolina wren that would come to me and eat mealworms from my hand. He came for a few years. It was fun watching them raise babies, and come to the feeder right outside the window for worms. He would hop right inside the window, which was left open a few inches, and hop around when I was in that room, to tell me that his mealworm feeder needed refilling. I really enjoyed that bird.

Posted 13th July 2017, 11:09 AM
Yes, grated cheese, good to know as I did not know that.

Tags
robins leaving nest