RARE ENDANGERED ALL WHITE GOSHAWK only 220 left IN OUR YARD! - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Endangered Species

Notices

Posted 20th August 2007, 09:22 PM
"Howdy" Susan,
Seems there are more species of Goshawks than I knew. Our No. American Goshawks are two toned Brown streaked in there 1st year, but after 1st moult get Grey/Silverish with more Vertical Black lines on chest Very Dark Grey back. The more moults they go through the more Dark Grey back & Silver Chest they get, but all our Gos's have a distinct White Eyebrow even in there Juvenal Yr.. Hawks & Falcons don't moult there year of birth like most birds, so get very confusing as to there colors till almst 2 yrs. old, so don't understand if your Country's Brown Gos is just an imature (1st Yr.) or two seperate species? I had an North American Goshawk for 4 yrs. They are very aggressive an catch the fastest of game birds & animals "up to" Hare size in mammals & Large Duck/Pheasant size in birds. Sounding more the "type of your Grey Gos's"...... I'm putting in a link for a pic. of the White Gyr Falcon's for you to see. I must admit that they are not Pure White & I have seen many. http://www.gulffalcons.com/whitegyr.html They would be called a White Grizzle in Racing Pigeons. From the Pic's in your link, I'm not sure the White Goshawk in there is Pure White either? ... But in any case they are beautiful Birds of Prey & both mostly White & both have Grey cousins. Looked at some of your past posts, & your country is so very beautiful with such different birds than most. You & your Family seem like such a Lovely people with a Super caring for animals/birds.... Love your posts.... Happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 20th August 2007, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
I'm putting in a link for a pic. of the White Gyr Falcon's for you to see. I must admit that they are not Pure White & I have seen many. http://www.gulffalcons.com/whitegyr.html
Wow! Those are exquisite birds, Happy! Thanks for the link!

Terry

Posted 20th August 2007, 09:47 PM

wow - this thread is really vast in content

G'day again

First the easy bit, showing you what a wallaby is. Think of them as a mini kangaroo but on steriods. They are very heavy set, strong, SUPER fierce and will fight off a Wedgetail Eagle if they have to. We discovered a Wallaby just out the pouch who was obviously completely blind. As it was a sitting target, not knowing when it was light or dark, or where to hide under cover, we shooed it into my Mums house and she gives it safe haven. She has had to save it a few times from birds of prey though. His name is WALLY. Wally cannot be touched or tamed. He is just THERE, in Mums garden and he is in a fully enclosed fenced area so he cannot get onto the road.

the indigenous name is PADEMELON. Which is what they all call them here

Here are kangaroos at the back of a previous property of mine

Happy those are AWESOME photos of the White Grey Falcon. I will say up front that till I moved here, birds of prey I saw were mostly Eagles or smaller Hawks and Kites of general varieties. So the Brown Goshawk is now all around me and we have had the chance to get up close photos. WE too were confused as to whether the Brown in the photos above were of a Juvie. But I am going to go back to my Tasmania Bird book to try and be a little more clear about them.
And I should scan the pic in the bird book as the all white, is a phase of the grey and I have a photo of one in the all white phase which is unlike the one in the pdf file above - confused, yep me too LOL

Posted 20th August 2007, 10:09 PM

from 2002 Field Guide to Tasmanian Birds

This is much easier to understand

and here is the brown

well I have to hand the pc over to my stepdaughter but I hope this is interesting for you all.

love and light
Susan in Tasmania xxxx

Last edited by TAWhatley; 20th August 2007 at 10:54 PM..
Posted 21st August 2007, 03:56 AM
Having members from all over the world is one of the wonderful aspects of this site!

Your comments and pictures, Susan, are most informative and delightful!! How else would we be able to see the wonderful animals and birds of your country so up close and personal?

How many people have a blind Wallaby or even a "seeing" one?!

Thank you so much for posting and I, along with our other members, will be looking forward to more, more, MORE!

With love and hugs,

Shi & Mr. Squeaks
Posted 21st August 2007, 05:56 PM

THANKS to all

Yes I guess you are right there Shi in the fact that not many people would have a wallaby or even see one. It is interesting to note that many Aussie animals have names that were given to them by the indigenous people (the aboriginal people). My 4 step children are part indigenous. So the name PADEMELON is really very strange to hear for some - even for some who live right here in Tasmania. My dear friend who lives in Hobart, the capital city of Tasmania, escapes up here to our place for his 'sanity breaks' - and he had not seen a Pademelon up close and when he first did, he was standing on our deck and there were 2 below him only a few feet away and he burst into our house saying 'OH MY GOODNESS I SAW A WATERMELON' and he couldn't understand why I fell on the ground laughing. I said "Could you mean a PADEMELON" and then understanding his mistake, we laughed for a very long time

So some of our wildlife where we live, even surprises others from the same state here down under
love and light
Susan xxxx
Posted 21st August 2007, 06:09 PM
Susan, I've decided after seeing Wally that I wanna Wallaby for my
birthday present ....

fp
Posted 21st August 2007, 06:19 PM

lol

Yes they look cute but once in the early morning, I was awoken by my husband who had a sack in his hand. I instantly get EXCITED - more wildlife to save!!! And cos I was not really awake, I thought he said it was a WOMBAT. But he said WALLABY, so as Wombats are fat friendly creatures, I sat up in bed and just opened that sack right up. OH MY!!! This wallaby flew out the sack, dirt from its paws went everywhere and jumped all over me hissing and scratching and then hid under our bed. It took 5 minutes to get that wallaby by the tail (the only safe way to catch them and it does them no harm - their tails are very thick and strong) and to get it back in the sack was a real struggle. It turned out to be a young wallaby that had obviously just left the pouch and the farmer at the end of the road caught it as his Cattle dogs were trying to run it down and catch it. In the end it was able to be safely released in some forestry behind me.

I have helped catch other Wallabys and these ones, the PADEMELONS - are furry but CUTE AND CUDDLY THEY ARE NOT. Nope, you will get your arm or leg sliced open if you let your guard down for a while.

May I suggest a Koala or something else a little more friendly or cuddly for your want list. There ARE some different types of wallabies that can be cuddled but this aint one of them
Posted 7th September 2007, 05:30 PM
OH! Missed your post.....sounds like I'd be safer w/a raccoon or badger

Maybe I'll stick w/pijies...

fp
I have been feeding pigeons, thousands of them for years. But there was one, a beautiful bird, pure white with light grey tips on its wings; that one was different. It was a female. I had only to wish and call her and she would come flying to me.
I loved that pigeon as a man loves a women, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life. Nikola Tesla
Posted 21st September 2007, 12:03 PM
Nice pictures, I've seen a white red tailed hawk once.

Posted 21st September 2007, 07:57 PM
Hi Susan...

Anymore updates/pictures from "down under?"

Hope all is going well!!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi & Squeaks

Posted 21st September 2007, 08:39 PM
She (Susan) just posted some pics of a Kookaburra on Starling-Talk .. amazing looking bird. I'll ask her to post them here too.

Terry

Posted 21st September 2007, 09:43 PM
Talking

your wish is my command

Kookaburra coming up. I will start a new thread in this section if that is suitable

love and light
Susan in Tasmania Australia xxxx
Posted 28th August 2009, 02:36 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i see an ugly killer.
Posted 21st March 2011, 07:27 AM
we were bowhunting this fall and seen a pure white hawk flying with another hawk. It was the coolest thing ive every seen and even better i ended up shooting a big 8 pointer that night.

Tags
beautiful birds, breeding pairs, racing pigeon, white bird

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how do white pigeon look
White Pigeon 268
white silky hen
white piegon