RARE ENDANGERED ALL WHITE GOSHAWK only 220 left IN OUR YARD! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Other Birds (NOT Pigeon/Dove posts!) > Endangered Species

Notices

Posted 14th August 2007, 09:19 PM
Talking

RARE ENDANGERED ALL WHITE GOSHAWK only 220 left IN OUR YARD!

I live in the top left part of Tasmania Australia and we get many Goshawks here. But there is a rare one. It's known as the 'all grey' version of the Goshawk and I read that it is the only all white bird of prey in the world. Hmmmmm, I thought that was pretty amazing but even more so is the fact that last count shows less that 110 breeding pairs are left in the world.

And we have one sitting right here on our telegraph pole
. It is nesting it seems in the tree we lovingly here call our "Australia" tree because it looks like a map of Australia. These pics were taken before I got a better camera but it will give you some idea.

We will be watching this bird carefully as they begin breeding this month. But can it find another white Goshawk, if not, they will occassionaly breed with a brown Goshawk.

Here is some great info on the species AND A LOVELY PHOTO
http://www.fpa.tas.gov.au/fileadmin/...ey_goshawk.pdf

My Mum lives next door and caught this amazing bird on video at close range for about a minute, sitting on her back fence and sizing up her pet blind wallaby that has safe haven in her yard. But her wallaby is too big now for this size of Bird of Prey to take though we just stopped a Wedgetail eagle from taking the wallaby two weeks ago. Mum ran out into her yard screaming just as the eagle was stalking up to the wallaby. She watches it pretty much all day so that if it gets out in the middle of the garden, she shooes it back under cover.
love and light

Susan in Tasmania Australia HOW EXCITING!!!!!!

Last edited by theAussie; 14th August 2007 at 09:26 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th August 2007, 09:34 PM

here's the Brown Goshawk (up close and personal)

Here is the brown variety, sitting at our back window after being stunned for a few minutes, it was fine but a bit woozy after hitting the window as it was making a go for my starlings who were wheeled up to the window getting some sun. It flew off unhurt not long after and we have put things up around the house now to try and stop the hawks hitting

how beautiful it is

but of course it is the spotting of the all white which has us SO EXCITED. They are losing habitat here and I only hope they can be saved, their numbers are so desperately low.
LOVE AND LIGHT
Susan in Tasmania xxxx

Last edited by theAussie; 14th August 2007 at 09:37 PM..
Posted 14th August 2007, 09:45 PM
Thumbs up

SUCH exciting news, Susan! Thank you for posting the information and pictures of this lovely rare bird!

Do keep us updated. This is quite an experience and education for us to be able to see - up close and personal - birds in other countries.

We certainly wish ALL the birds well!

Shi

Posted 15th August 2007, 03:54 AM
This is indeed a beautiful bird.
Thank you for sharing.

Reti
Posted 15th August 2007, 05:14 AM
WOW!!!! You are certainly privileged!

Cynthia
Posted 19th August 2007, 08:30 AM
Lovely pics and some interesting info.Thanks for sharing.
Posted 19th August 2007, 08:37 AM
Hi Susan,

Thank you for sharing the info and pics, I really appreciate it, and thanks for doing your part to help the species re-populate.

Posted 19th August 2007, 09:34 AM
Susan, at first I thought you had all 220 in your backyard, lol ...
What an amazing story, no wonder you are so excited about it. Is
there a group there that folks report 'sightings' to? Must be some group
there locally that takes information from folks on sightings of birds/animals.

We have a group locally that posts sightings just for this area that people
have in the general region for Birds of Prey and they in turn list the information
on their website daily as to which birds and how many have been see where,
a public log of sorts.

A very informative link to the PDF file on the Grey/White Goshawk, thanks for
posting that link and sharing your own beatiful pics of the White and the
brown Goshawk. Looking forward to any updates on these birds that you
have to share .

fp
Posted 19th August 2007, 06:55 PM

oh - I cannot believe I did that

Oh my goodness, you are right, the heading did read like all of the White Goshawks were in my OWN YARD. I missed out a number, it should have read
RARE ENDANGERED ALL WHITE GOSHAWK only 220 left AND 1 IN OUR YARD!!!

I'm such a twit sometimes LOL

But yes, I am glad you got it. They are only found in this part of Tasmania, though I have seen Indionesia once mentioned as having them? Latest counts of them is hard to find and yes I made calls to call in the sighting!! I will organise the video footage on Mums VERY OLD video camera, to be handed to those who need to see the bird etc. It is my understanding that they are now only found in this top left part of the state of Tasmania, about a 300 kilometre radius and all around us has been logged for plantation forests so it is being forced out. We will do all we can to make sure this bird is NOT disturbed and hope to get some good pictures with the better camera we have now

love and light
Susan in Tasmania Australia
Posted 19th August 2007, 11:08 PM
Hi Susan,
Thanks for the Pic's & info on the White Goshawks, as I sure didn't know there were White Goshawks anywhere in the world with the exception of Albinos. I'm in USA... One thing, there is another Bird of Prey that is all White. It is the White Gyr Falcon, although they also have Grey Gyrs. Mainly in Greenland, Alaska, Northern Canada, but North of the Treeline in Breeding times, but will venture South in the hardest of Winters to Northern USA etc.. They are the Largest of all Falcons in ther World...... Very interesting to hear from your area, as that is Rare for me & enjoyable......Happy
Posted 19th August 2007, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Hi Susan,
Thanks for the Pic's & info on the White Goshawks, as I sure didn't know there were White Goshawks anywhere in the world with the exception of Albinos. I'm in USA... One thing, there is another Bird of Prey that is all White. It is the White Gyr Falcon, although they also have Grey Gyrs. Mainly in Greenland, Alaska, Northern Canada, but North of the Treeline in Breeding times, but will venture South in the hardest of Winters to Northern USA etc.. They are the Largest of all Falcons in ther World...... Very interesting to hear from your area, as that is Rare for me & enjoyable......Happy
Hey Happ! Susan gets and has the MOST AMAZING birds and animals .. as you know, she is in Tasmania .. just watch for her posts and pics .. just truly wonderful!

Terry

Posted 20th August 2007, 07:08 PM

searched and searched and finally found it

G'day Happy

I was determined to find the link I read about the bird being the only all white bird of prey, as I was at first a little disbelieveing about that, so here is where it is, bottom line on this site

http://www.wildlifetasmania.com/goshawk.html

this is a quote from the site above
Unlike the Brown Goshawk, which relies almost entirely on stealth and surprise to catch its prey, the Grey Goshawk is a bold hunter which pursues its prey in flight, striking at speed, and even chasing prey into dense undergrowth. It will also use ambush and surprise to catch birds.

The Grey Goshawk preys on birds, terrestrial mammals up to rabbit size, reptiles, grasshoppers, beetles and other insets such as cicadas.

The Grey Goshawk's preferred habitat is heavily treed and humid forest areas such as rainforests and very dense, tall eucalypt forest.

There are two colour types, or "phases" of the Grey Goshawk: the grey and the white. The white phase Grey Goshawk is the only pure white bird of prey in the world

I hope this is of interest to you. Thank you for your info too, it is excellent to have these global type discussions.

love and light
***THANKS TERRY - LOVE YA !!

Susan in Tasmania Australia xxxx

Last edited by theAussie; 20th August 2007 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: to add a quote to clarify
Posted 20th August 2007, 07:40 PM

more about the brown Goshawk

We have many Brown Goshawks here and have been 'hit' by them about a dozen times at least - just this year. It's my talking starlings, they lure the bird to the house and then try for them, not seeing the window glass - though we now have things to scare them up and so far no further hits!! But hubby David did a rush rescue last year when he saw some scrambling happening in our back paddock and went at a run taking off his shirt as he went, and just got there in time to scare off the Brown Goshawk who had a Rosella wrapped up and tangled in the reeds and it was screaming and fighting hard. David managed to get the Rosella and we did a bit of first aid and removed the reeds which had actually tangled so its wings were tight to its body. We called the Rosella "Rosie" and she still comes every day to eat at our bird feeder. Felt sorry that the Goshawk missed out on a meal - but as you can see by our photos of them, they are sure fat and healthy here with an abundance of food. We have a group of 12 Rosellas that feed at our place then fly the half a mile up to my Mums house next door and have a second feed there. One of them jumps on my Mums head. We call him George.

Rosie, saved and released in 48 hours

here is the gang that come to feed that include Rosie

the furry thing underneath is our blind wallaby (non releasable)

3pm is feed time, and if we dont have it out, we get the window tapped on

love and light
Susan xxxx
Posted 20th August 2007, 08:00 PM
Meant to ask, Susan, what's a Wallaby?
fp
Posted 20th August 2007, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feralpigeon View Post
Meant to ask, Susan, what's a Wallaby?
fp
I'll let Susan answer that and provide the pics. I do believe Susan's Mom has a blind Wallaby.

Terry

Tags
beautiful birds, breeding pairs, racing pigeon, white bird

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how do white pigeon look
White Pigeon 268
white silky hen
white piegon