Pigeon Lofts & Hardware - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Loft Designs

Posted 29th November 2005, 02:01 AM

Pigeon Lofts & Hardware

Check Out This Website Awesome Sheds, Playhouses, & Little Sheds, Green Houses. Design Plans start at 7.99 up to 49.00 cheap and they are so cute. Some of the would make great lofts. After clicking on the link scroll down to Plans List then go to sheds, cabins & Cottages, Playhouses, etc pictures. http://www.plansforfree.com/index.htm

Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th November 2005, 06:56 AM
Interesting domain name - "plansforfree" - but then they charge for them? LOL

Anyone looking for truly 'free' plans for starter lofts can find them at several websites.

This is one of the best sources I've found yet:

http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm
Posted 29th November 2005, 10:55 AM

I thought that was a little strange free plans

it gets you to their site thats for sure. I just thought they were cute and pretty cheap.

thanks for the link (free)
Andi

Posted 29th November 2005, 11:35 AM
The Loft Design:

http://www.birdhealth.com.au/bird/pi...oft.html#clean

Last edited by Skyeking; 30th January 2009 at 07:50 AM..
Posted 28th December 2005, 11:19 AM
Hi all,

Another good link for this section provided by Lin Hansen for Hardware Cloth:

http://www.twpinc.com/twp/jsp/product.jsp?type=4

And a couple of other links to aviary designs:

http://www.pixalbums.net/post.php?si...x=nloftpen.jpg

http://www.internationaldovesociety....owningCage.htm

fp
Posted 29th December 2005, 06:31 AM

Lofts are Not Sheds !

Hello All,

I highly suggest if one is interested in building a loft, that you forget shed designs. I certainly would never pay for shed designs !

You can go onto the AU website at : http://www.pigeon.org/sclofts1_05.htm
and see some showcase lofts, or even enter pigeon loft design into your search engine and find all kinds of links for lofts.
Posted 29th December 2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks Warren,

If you have anymore sources please share.

We need a good resource thread for loft designs for our members.

Posted 29th December 2005, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Gray
Thanks Warren,

If you have anymore sources please share.

We need a good resource thread for loft designs for our members.

OK,

Here's a problem, the best "Racing Pigeon Loft Designs", could have a commercial market value of many thousands of dollars. How does one over come this dilemma ?

These designs also affect the "show bird" fancy. Since advances in pigeongly often come from the racing community.
Posted 30th December 2005, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithFamilyLoft
OK,

Here's a problem, the best "Racing Pigeon Loft Designs", could have a commercial market value of many thousands of dollars. How does one over come this dilemma ?
Yes, the "Best" lofts could and do cost thousands of dollars. However, starter lofts for beginners do not need to.

I notice that the first one on the AU site cost about $1200 to build. A little steep for many beginners. The first one on the link I provided cost around $500.

Yes, that could still be a little expensive - but by purchasing supplies from less expensive sources, you can cut costs.

We have "Habitat for Humanity" in Canada - I'm not sure if it is in the US. Leftover supplies from HfH go to the "Restore" - a store where it is sold for much less than the usual price. I wonder if construction sites (like major subdivisions) would have someplace that you could contact, to purchase left- over odd size pieces of lumber?

Our local hardware stores all have a "free" bin outside - we've gotten bits and pieces of wood for our loft from there, by checking it frequently as we drive by.
Posted 30th December 2005, 09:58 AM
The US does have a Habitat for Humanity and the resell stores w/less expensive materials. Many urban areas also have salvage yards for construction materials.
And, the lumber stores, at least in this area, have what's called a "drop-off" box
that is filled by lumber which has been cross-cut to length or ripped down in width. This is free to customers which want to paw their way through it and would work just fine for perches and the like.

fp
Posted 30th December 2005, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feralpigeon
...a "drop-off" box that is filled by lumber which has been cross-cut to length or ripped down in width. This is free to customers which want to paw their way through it and would work just fine for perches and the like.
fp
Yep, we got some nice cedar 2"x4" pieces for flight pen perches that way.
Posted 31st December 2005, 05:15 AM
We usually pass alot of new construction, as this area is growing by leaps and bounds, and find trash cans or dump areas where we have gotten some nice small pieces of plywood and 2 X 4's. We always make sure to ask first so that everything is done above board. (no punn intended)

Posted 2nd January 2006, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWingsCa
Yes, the "Best" lofts could and do cost thousands of dollars. However, starter lofts for beginners do not need to.

I notice that the first one on the AU site cost about $1200 to build. A little steep for many beginners. The first one on the link I provided cost around $500.
Actually, I was referring to racing lofts, and then only the "designs". I am sure there are differences around the country, but a lot of "beginners" are not poor.

Locally, I have seen a lot of 50 something males, getting back into pigeons. They have been sucessful in their careers, and now want to compete in a big way. $10-15,000 for a "starter" racing loft, may not be any big deal, for these older boys and their new toys ! I have even seen some of these "new guys" drop $30,000 on some fancy fad breeding stock.

My point is, if you have a budget of $100 or so for a loft, then some modifications to a rabbit hutch, could do the trick for a few pair. If you are selling your Harley, Vette, and boat, in order to go into racing in a big way, where can you even buy, top of the line designs for a super racing loft ? In my neck of the woods, we have Jr. members with $14,000 lofts ! Fifty something boys, with $70,000 street rods, think nothing of $20-$40,000 lofts.

Where can they go for designs ? Really good designs, employing the latest technology, are not floating around out there for free, unless they are old and outdated.
Posted 3rd January 2006, 12:42 PM
Aloft desighn needs to meet the typew of birds you plan to raise and breed. Also numbers of birds you plan to have. A racing loft. Is not a over desighn. But it has to have the right room for young birds. old birds. Breeder loft. seperating area. Air exchange. Ect. So its often a little larger if you keep several birds. Lofts do not have to expencsive. But should look nice not to take away from the neigborhood. New people want to start out less sometimes. So asmaller loft is built. Then as time goes by changes are made. I would suggest checking local lofts as to what a person might need. And local codes. after all its about what you can afford first then how much you will spend. A smiple loft can still house the best pigeons.
Posted 23rd May 2006, 03:39 PM

Plans for Breeding box

Do anyone know of plans to build breeding boxes?
FYI. I just finished building my loft from

http://www.redroselofts.com/starter_loft.htm

It was fun building it.

Tags
nest bowl, nest bowls, nest boxes, pigeon loft, pigeon pellets, racing pigeon, young bird

You may also search for:

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pigeons.biz
pigeons MN
pet pigeons
how to sex pigeons