Portable or Mobile Loft question - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Performing Breeds

Posted 30th November 2011, 09:31 PM

Portable loft / field flying videos

To help inspire, all the Portable Loft flyers out there, here are some Portable flying videos I made over the Thanksgiving weekend.

Videos include a combined kit of Doneks and Greek Nose Divers, the stock of the late Matt Shushok, the Greeks leave the Doneks in the dust on the way down, also Vienna High Flyers, Egyptian Swifts, and Iraqi Tumblers (Zingees)
Robert
Here's the Link; http://www.youtube.com/user/Roberts5.../2/2LLN0PY0wAY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th November 2011, 10:01 PM
Robert, those videos are awesome.
Would you be able to describe your basic training techniques so that a noob (squab) like me could do it? Also if you have any words on the preferred type of bird and what qualities they need or don't need to be good at free / portable flying.
Thank you so much for the videos again. really enjoyed them.
Tony
Posted 1st December 2011, 07:38 AM
Hello Tony,
There is more training info on this Forum, search (Nikolaesky) if that doesn't give you enough, send me a Private E-mail with your E-mail address and I'll send you a short training video I made to help out another Forum member.

All breeds of pigeons can be trained to fly Portable, even Show birds.
I've flown a Kit of little white Figurita's, and had a lot of fun with them.

If your serious about flying Portable you should stick with the Performance Flying breeds.
The breeds I enjoy flying the most from a Portable; Doneks, Greek Nose Divers (Wutas), Vienna HF, Hungarian HF, Polish Orliks, Fireball Rollers, Kelebeks, Dewlaps, Ukrainian Skycutters, Egyptian Swifts, and Iraqi Tumblers (Zingees).

I'd really love to fly some Iraqi Basrawi Rollers (Portable), if anyone out there knows of any for a reasonably price, $50.00 to $75.00 a pair.

Last time I tried to get some Basrawi's the person sent me the Zingees, which flip/tumble, they are good birds, but not the ones I asked for.
Robert

Posted 1st December 2011, 08:18 AM
Robert have you ever worked with Flying flights? From the birds you listed I am getting the idea you are not in the US?
I have three Busrawiis, I got them as a pair and one cock offspring. When I got them they split up and will not mate back up.
However when they do I plan and selling their offspring for much more, but that won't be till I get my numbers up on them.

I wish a kept a few of the standard Iraqi Tumblers as I had 30 a few months back.

I have access to Vienna HF's as well and wouldn't mind flying those.

Edit: I see from your truck you are in the US. Nice collection of birds you have.

http://www.youtube.com/flyingtipplers
-Corbin

Last edited by AZCorbin; 1st December 2011 at 08:23 AM..
Posted 1st December 2011, 01:30 PM
Robert has been my mentor and I also fly birds from a portable.
I fly both Doneks and Orientals but have really taken a liking to the Doneks
Posted 1st December 2011, 05:10 PM
Hello AZCorbin,

I have been flying White NYC Flying Flights from the Portable for about 4 years now.
I really love the Flights, they're smart and probably the most people friendly birds I've ever worked with, but they just weren't working hard enough for me, I had to make them work.

Robert
Posted 1st December 2011, 10:40 PM
Hi Robert,
thanks that would be great. will email you when I return from a short break - we're going caravaning this weekend.
Tony
Posted 22nd March 2012, 07:11 PM
Well later than I thought but I'm up and running.
Currently hand feeding three NYFF's of which I am keeping one.
I also just dragged a 2012 Tippler yb hen out of our flying loft to help wean these. All four hand picking seed on the first night!

I decided to put together a kit of 12 birds each one being a different varitey.
All will be flying breeds. I am going to see if there is any difference between hand pumping or letting ma and pa wean them. I am thinking no...

http://www.youtube.com/flyingtipplers
-Corbin
Posted 23rd May 2016, 01:32 PM
I just got a cage that looks like yours this afternoon. I'm leaning towards portable flying although I'd like to race as well. Maybe in the future...

Great vid by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2y4life View Post
Here's what my portable looks like

I fly 8 birmingham rollers, 5 young birds (4.5 months) and 3 old birds. They are not of the same family and none of them were bred by me. I got them and then trained them to fly portable. I do not use a dropper and it has not been a problem with me. I've been flying portable since April of this year.

Let me know if you have any questions. I am far from an expert but I have been doing well. Many say it's near impossible to fly portable with old birds but I've proven it can be done . Have fun, portable is a great part of the performance pigeon hobby.
Posted 23rd December 2019, 11:23 AM
I am new to pigeons and intrigued with portable loft flying. Robert Lockwood has some great YouTube videos showing his methods and Vieshian Black Pigeons that he developed over the years. Very impressive birds. I saw some of the black tipplers that you have on one of your videos "http://www.youtube.com/flyingtipplers", nice looking birds also, they look somewhat similar to the Vieshians. If you plan on breeding them, I may be interested purchasing some late Spring/ early Summer. How do you feel they would do flying to a portable loft?

Tags
free flying, german owls, homing ability, homing instinct, pigeon alert, portable flying

You may also search for: