mistery - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Fanciers' Forums > Pigeon and Dove Genetics

Posted 14th January 2009, 12:27 PM

mistery

I was just wondering if anybody could tell me what this pigeons parents would have been breed with to give him the white specks on his neck and head. He looks nothing like his parents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th January 2009, 03:52 PM
One parent is likely white. The other could be just about anything, probably solid colored, unlikely a barred or checked.
Posted 14th January 2009, 04:13 PM
The parents would have to be carrying some form of white and spread (to make him black). A bird could have some hidden white feathers you don't even notice, until their babies are pied. The white can come up anywhere on the body. What DO the parents look like?

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~

Posted 14th January 2009, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
The parents would have to be carrying some form of white and spread (to make him black). A bird could have some hidden white feathers you don't even notice, until their babies are pied. The white can come up anywhere on the body. What DO the parents look like?
I had two lonly birds and felt bad and since half of my birds are breed just for pets I let them mate, one was a rescued almound cock and the other was a hen black saddle, I have since got them there own type to breed with. Anyway I have a black hen I can put him with but I am not sure if it will mess up the black or should I breed him with a white hen? His sister is a beautil almound hen but I am not going to breed them back. >Kevin
Posted 15th January 2009, 08:35 AM
So the parents to this bird were Almond and the Black Saddle? If so, the white on the saddle is where the white on this bird came from.

Is pure black babies what you're trying to get, or...(a little confused, sorry )
And a tip if you don't already know, don't let two almonds breed together since it can cause eye problems in the young.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 15th January 2009, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
So the parents to this bird were Almond and the Black Saddle? If so, the white on the saddle is where the white on this bird came from.

Is pure black babies what you're trying to get, or...(a little confused, sorry )
And a tip if you don't already know, don't let two almonds breed together since it can cause eye problems in the young.
No it really does not matter to me I was just curious as to witch hen would give me the best bird without looking even more like a checker board these are just pets but I want to breed a few more , he is about as messed up as I want the colors to get so that leaves me with white hen or black. At first I was just wondering if this bird was breed with somthing other then a fantail.>Kevin
Posted 15th January 2009, 02:12 PM

grizzle and t pattern blue

Grizzle and pied make the saddles what they are. Almonds are typically t pattern blue, just don't look it. This bird picked up some pied, grizzle and is t pattern blue. Look at the tail, is blue with black tail bar. Some people call t pattern blues, blue tailed blacks. Nice looking bird to me. Risingstar breeds fans, he can tell if it's a good one or not.

Bill
Posted 15th January 2009, 02:23 PM

Never Almond to Almond

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersonk2002 View Post
I had two lonly birds and felt bad and since half of my birds are breed just for pets I let them mate, one was a rescued almound cock and the other was a hen black saddle, I have since got them there own type to breed with. Anyway I have a black hen I can put him with but I am not sure if it will mess up the black or should I breed him with a white hen? His sister is a beautil almound hen but I am not going to breed them back. >Kevin
Hi KEVIN Never mate an Almond to Almond,this type of mating will produce weak Almond cocks if they even hatch they will be sickly birds and die. Almonds also keep getting darker after each molt until they are not showable GEORGE
Posted 15th January 2009, 02:41 PM
I don't know that I've seen a t-pattern this black before. But Bill's right, the presence of the tail bar usually indicates it's not spread.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 15th January 2009, 03:59 PM

A/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by george simon View Post
Hi KEVIN Never mate an Almond to Almond,this type of mating will produce weak Almond cocks if they even hatch they will be sickly birds and die. Almonds also keep getting darker after each molt until they are not showable GEORGE
Is that only with family or almounds in general. The bird in the pic is only6 months old and I also have an almound hen from a differant breeder that I could use
Posted 15th January 2009, 04:12 PM
Any almond pair. Something about the genes just don't agree.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 18th January 2009, 09:05 AM

Not all almonds are like this

There are families of almond pigeons that can be bred together with no problems. Many of the top almond breeders in the country do this all the time.
If you have the almonds with problems, there is something called bladder eye that can appear on homozygous almond cock birds. One of the eyes is actually misplaced on their head. Also homozygous almond cock birds tend to be very light in color. If you choose to breed two almonds together, just check the family history first.

I looked at the fantail in the photo again and noticed dark colored feet. This indicates dirty factor and they will probably not stay dark as the bird matures. Two other signs of diry factor are dark color and a white rump. This bird shows very dark color (near black) and the white rump. Tic eye can also show up, sort of a slanted, or squinty eye. Again, these are all factors that are used in almond breeding to get good color extension and good base color. TTic eye of course is not desired, just a side effect of the gene.

This bird is not almond and could certainly be used without fear to breed to an almond. Does it have any bronze in the flights? This would be kite and is also in the mix for good almond color. Without it, almonds tend to be more grey in base color. Almonds are bred in so many colors today that it becomes very difficult to sort out what all is in them. They can all be very beautiful and as George says, the black or break tends to increase with age.

Bill
Posted 18th January 2009, 09:14 AM
Bill, is it just me (or the picture?), or does it look like there may be a bit of a bronze tint to some of the feathers on the wing? The ones held right above the feet anyways.

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 18th January 2009, 11:03 AM

Good eye Becky

I saw it too but don't know whether it's lighting and camera angle or if it is kite bronze. It would be very likely with almond in the background. The open wing should reveal if it actually has it for sure.

Bill
Posted 20th January 2009, 08:36 AM

bronze

I don't seem to be able to get him to stay still to get a really good picture and I do not want to stress him out by pullng from his cage, this is about the best I could do. I am not sure exactly what you are saying in your comments, that is the reason I put it into genetics to get some answers but you are giving me ?'s , I guess this is the only way I will learn all the terms and I will have to do some studying before I will ask any more. He does have bronze on his flights (both sides) and it shows more then I can get in a picture. Now I really do not know what I want to do with this bird, one thing that comes to mind is how could I get more bronze in his offspring.

I only have a coulpe of monts before I move most of my birds to a ouside loft and avery and would like to pair them to get what I want. For the most part it will be easy but We shall see, lots of learning.

Tags
fantail pigeon