a perfectionist needs reasurance that a little poop in the nest is ok.... - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 19th April 2008, 09:15 PM

a perfectionist needs reasurance that a little poop in the nest is ok....

Like the title says, I am a perfectionist. I will soon have my first ever bird babies as my birds have been flirting for a week and this morning the female was lying in front of the boy saying come and get it. Vibrating her wings and aggressively grooming his face (but nicely and he was grooming her back) then he would rush up to her cooing and bowing and if I didn't have to go to work I probly would have seen them getting it on....(thats breeding behavior right?)

So they like their nest and she is sitting in it right now and I just wanna clean it every day because of a couple poops....but I need you guys to tell me I don't need to b/c a little poop is normal and ok...right?

Last edited by Kimberly_CA; 19th April 2008 at 09:18 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 19th April 2008, 09:28 PM
Hi Kim! What News!
Can you describe your loft, nest box(s) Avairy, so everyone , here, can understand the conditions that your pigeons have?
What kind do you have?
Posted 19th April 2008, 09:29 PM
LOL...that's breeding behavior alright and a little poop in the nest is ok.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council

Posted 19th April 2008, 09:46 PM
I have a huge parrot cage. I lost my pics when I switched comps but it's like 7 feet high, 4 and a half feet wide. I have 3 birds, an adult female and male and one juvie male.

Their nest is a large cooking pot that is filled with a towel on the bottom and then shredded newspaper (color free), and tissue paper. The girl pigeon already liked the nest a month go and would sleep in it. The girl is a white homer, the boy a black and white lahore.

I clean the cage usually twice a week and give new food every other day and water every day. The female actually likes to chew a cuttle bone which surprised me and they also get grit and vitamins/health care on a regular basis. all 3 pigeons were originally found on the streets at different times, juvie male was a battered baby, white homer female was attacked and has a lame wing and the lahore male was someones lost pet. Was not planning on ever having another bird as honestly I was annoyed with my previous ones (too loud for me) but I love the pigeons to death.

Only thing I know I did wrong was not isolate the newest bird which is the male lahore. I only kept him separated 2 days b/c I had no where for him to go and the lady who found him needed a place for him badly because she had no cage and her cats were hungry. I did however take him to the clinic I used to work for who treated birds and they ran his poop and checked him out.

Last edited by Kimberly_CA; 19th April 2008 at 09:52 PM..
Posted 19th April 2008, 09:51 PM
Are you sure you want them to hatch babies Kim ? That would be a lot of pigeons in your house and a lot of pigeons for that cage. Have you thought about investing in wooden eggs? Once they start laying, they will continue to do so about once a month until the hen runs out of eggs. We're talking years.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 19th April 2008, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Are you sure you want them to hatch babies Kim ? That would be a lot of pigeons in your house and a lot of pigeons for that cage. Have you thought about investing in wooden eggs? Once they start laying, they will continue to do so about once a month until the hen runs out of eggs. We're talking years.
Oh I just want to do it once. Unless i graduate to a real loft I will be replacing all future eggs I should expect 2 babies most likely right? I would be cool with 5 birds in the end....

Thanks

Oh and I also let them out every day for exercise. i said I wouldn't b/c I am a clean freak, but I caved.
Posted 19th April 2008, 10:02 PM
You will need to add an additional. Odd numbers with pigeons is not good. They each will need a comapanion. Soon you are gonna have your own flock too.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 19th April 2008, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
You will need to add an additional. Odd numbers with pigeons is not good. They each will need a comapanion. Soon you are gonna have your own flock too.
Well if there are 5 in the end I know someone who will take one of them if it comes to it so there is always a backup, she lives 2 hours from here but ill drive so they are happy..... she races them and has a huge loft, i know the bird would be well taken care of. I think 4 would be better than 6......about companions....must they be male/female or say, could 2 females be ok as companions?

Thank you so much
Posted 19th April 2008, 10:16 PM
From what I hear right now, You and your pigeons are going to be just fine!
What can I say!
For me I would always make sure that my pigeons would have enough room, 12 cu ft of space per pigeon. (5x5x5=125 cu ft. / 12= 10.41 pigeons)
Supply perches. (as many as possable)
Nest Boxes should be a mimimum 12"x 18'x 12' tall (or larger) if breeding.
Supply 2 nestboxes, per pair. Put in nest bowels (Base of flower pot)
Or just supply nest bowls and perches, enough so that they can choose.
The alpha male, will not tolorate another male, if he is breeding. ( be careful)
Straw, sticks, tobacco stems, work best for nesting material.
Supply grit, and water at all times. feed once or twice a day.
Posted 19th April 2008, 10:25 PM
Don't forget the oyster shell!

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

DO NO HARM

Posted 19th April 2008, 10:28 PM
Yes 2 females can be paired together in the same cage. One will be dominant, eventually, so make sure that they get along together.
Posted 19th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Oops theres something I didn't know bout (oyster). What is the function of that? I just looked pretty fast and noticed something said oyster or egg shell, is that true? So does it bring something to the table that the grit and cuttle bone are lacking? The grit has gravel, calcium and clay.

Here is my cage, I just remembered I had this pic somewhere else. You can see the female. and the pic makes the cage look smaller than it is. Like I said I was not planning on birds but once I found her (I found her first) I stalked the classifieds and found this cage for $35, extreme luck. I may not have the most perfect situation, I am a poor college student living on my own for the first time and do everything to keep them as happy as possible.

Some things have been changed around since this pic for better arrangement of perches and stuff, but you get the idea. and th nest pot is in a corner.

Thank you guys

Last edited by Kimberly_CA; 26th September 2008 at 03:59 PM..
Posted 19th April 2008, 11:00 PM
I think you stold that cage for $35.00!
Good find!
Posted 19th April 2008, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Cooper View Post
I think you stold that cage for $35.00!
Good find!
Oh yeah it was a complete steal. Totally clean and in perfect shape too, used to house chinchillas. the lady was moving and just needed someone to take it away, it weighed too much for her to move, very very heavy. I could barely believe my luck
Posted 20th April 2008, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly_CA View Post
I

I clean the cage usually twice a week
wow are you available for my loft?

[email protected]

We all entered this world naked bloody, scared, confused, and screaming. With any luck, the fun doesn't have to end there!

Tags
nest bowl, nest bowls, nest boxes, nesting material, oyster shell, white homer, wooden eggs