Am I dooming him by releasing him? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 10th May 2011, 11:50 AM

Am I dooming him by releasing him?

My Fisherman's Wharf pigeon has recovered from his head injury. I'm looking for a good flock in Berkeley to release him in. The more I read here, the more I think life is going to suck for him in the wild. My neighbor has a coop and keeps it clean and it has good sun and air and happy birds. They never fly though. Should I approach him? (May not even be an option.) I'm torn and kind of confused about what to do with this bird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th May 2011, 01:43 PM
Is the bird a feral, or was it a lost domestic that you rescued? How old was it when you found it approximately? If you are really worried about the little guy, then I would definitely try asking the neighbor about taking it in It's worth a try!

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 10th May 2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
Is the bird a feral, or was it a lost domestic that you rescued? How old was it when you found it approximately? If you are really worried about the little guy, then I would definitely try asking the neighbor about taking it in It's worth a try!
Or you could always ship him to Becky.

Posted 10th May 2011, 02:39 PM
If you got him as an adult, he'll probably fly right back to where he came from seeing as how you're close.

Pidgey
Posted 10th May 2011, 02:53 PM
He's an adult feral I've had for a week after toting home in my backback and taking to a wildlife rescue place for evaluation (who knew I'd come HOME with it from there - I thought they'd take him!). Head injury - window, or kick from a child by accident, who knows. I'm worried about him flying across the bay back home, it's about 15 miles to Fisherman's Wharf. He would like to go, I think, but it's not the friendliest of environments there for a sweet little pigeon. Tons of spikes, traffic, ocean to fall into, crazed children. Will he STAY in Berkeley if I find that flock some guy feeds nutritious food to every day? Can he make it across the bay if he decides to go? (MJ bites fingernails.....). Will he always long for his original crappy home if I give him to the neighbor? Will he dream of flying? I'm gathering advice where ever I can, thanks.
Posted 10th May 2011, 03:16 PM
Oh, he will attempt to go back to where he came from--it's all he knows to do. Very rarely do you find one that will decide to stay with you just because they like it. Flying that far won't be a problem for him as long as his wings work fine and he's in good condition. Finding his way home shouldn't be a problem, either.

Pidgey
Posted 10th May 2011, 03:32 PM
Well, I guess if he's going to go home, I can drive him, lol. Thanks.
Posted 10th May 2011, 06:27 PM
I am in SF.

If he seems healed and all is OK (this means you have allowed him to 'test fly' indoors or in a flight cage, among other things....), then I would first consider returning him to his original Flockmates. Obviously don't release him if you haven't tested his flight capabilities.

Agreed, the Wharf ain't the greatest location I can think of in SF. But, it's hecka better than the Tenderloin or Civic center, for instance....and if he is an adult, he probably has managed OK. It's really your call...I mean, some folks feel they wanna do all in their power to assure their healed pals a long and safe life. Others feel that they have gven their friends a great gift by rehabbing 'em back into shape and allowing them a second go at the Feral world.

There are no guarantees in either course we choose....

You raise an interesting Q, though.....because I cannot say I have seen Pigeons crossing the bay. They don't like crossing large bodies of water, generally. I have very occasionally seen one near GG Bridge area, but cannot say the were traversing Marin-SF.

If you think about it, have you ever seen pigeons crossing the bay, really? I don't think they will do it.

So the likelihood is he'd stay in the East Bay, if you released him in the East Bay ...maybe get himself a pair of Birkenstocks and a bungalow in the 'Hills....etc.

(I like Lake Merritt as a release site, myself...find the Flocks there).

BTW....WHAT local facility actually allowed you to leave with him ? (certainly couldn't have been Wildcare in Marin...aka home of Dr. Death...)

Last edited by Jaye; 10th May 2011 at 07:30 PM..
Posted 10th May 2011, 07:20 PM
lol. Now I still can't decide what to do. Berkely seems safer for him, especially in the residential areas or the huge park at the marina.
Posted 10th May 2011, 07:21 PM
oooooh, Lake Merritt!!! They have that bird sanctuary there. Plus people feed them decent stuff they buy there! Forgot all about that! Thanks!
Posted 10th May 2011, 07:24 PM
It was Lindsay Wildlife in Walnut Creek. They were great. Evaluated three pigeons (one cute baby homing pigeon) while I was waiting. Gave great advice to everyone. Took none of them, but hey, that's okay.
Posted 10th May 2011, 07:34 PM
That's good to know, thanks for the reference.

Yes, Merritt seems a pretty good place. Always food around, and water. Traffic isn't very fast, either. Nor is there a lot of it. I usually take a spin or two around the Lake, finding a Flock either feeding or sunning themselves, then release the Pigeon there (bringing snacks, of course, so the Flock won't bolt at the sight of a strange pet-carrier or cage).

..sorry for the wisecrack, I actually prefer Oak/Berk to SF. Have lots of friends there....
Posted 11th May 2011, 12:05 AM
WoW!
# pigeons, was good for one?
I must be missing something...
Anyone else catch that ?

Here's the way it is, Watergirl...
You accept a pigeon into your life, or you Don't. For Life.
Posted 15th May 2011, 02:23 PM
Sooooo. It turns out releasing him is the least of my worries. Turns out this is a really young guy just learning to eat. I practically starved him, assuming his messed up food meant he was eating. No. Started weighing his food (pigeon food, peas, carrots, bread, misc.), he was eating nothing!

Looked up how to see if they are skinny and boy is he skinny! Started force feeding peas and after two days of that, he started pecking them from my hand (after pecking my fingers, my zipper, my lip, lol). Now he is pecking peas and thawed corn from where ever I put it and has started trying out the grit and grain from the feed store, but mostly throws that around. If I tap my finger near some, he will try it.

His poops are finally starting to look like the healthy ones posted in this forum (that's what alerted me to a potential problem, his poops were nowhere near those pictures, thanks!) I am trying not to domesticate him, and it is difficult, he is cute. He is still alarmed and peeps when I get him out, so that's good. I am keeping him warm (he's in the house now) and he is eager for food and his daily clean teddy bear and clean box. He's in a giant dog kennel and can fly up to a perch I put in. There is a coop next door so he can hear some buddies and he goes in the sun for a few hours in the afternoon (safe place, guarded by bird friendly dog).

He's so young, is it realistic to think he could be released in a few weeks when he's stronger (he's little, but he's strong.) and be able to find his own way in the world?
Posted 15th May 2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by watergirl View Post
Sooooo. It turns out releasing him is the least of my worries. Turns out this is a really young guy just learning to eat. I practically starved him, assuming his messed up food meant he was eating. No. Started weighing his food (pigeon food, peas, carrots, bread, misc.), he was eating nothing!

Looked up how to see if they are skinny and boy is he skinny! Started force feeding peas and after two days of that, he started pecking them from my hand (after pecking my fingers, my zipper, my lip, lol). Now he is pecking peas and thawed corn from where ever I put it and has started trying out the grit and grain from the feed store, but mostly throws that around. If I tap my finger near some, he will try it.

His poops are finally starting to look like the healthy ones posted in this forum (that's what alerted me to a potential problem, his poops were nowhere near those pictures, thanks!) I am trying not to domesticate him, and it is difficult, he is cute. He is still alarmed and peeps when I get him out, so that's good. I am keeping him warm (he's in the house now) and he is eager for food and his daily clean teddy bear and clean box. He's in a giant dog kennel and can fly up to a perch I put in. There is a coop next door so he can hear some buddies and he goes in the sun for a few hours in the afternoon (safe place, guarded by bird friendly dog).

He's so young, is it realistic to think he could be released in a few weeks when he's stronger (he's little, but he's strong.) and be able to find his own way in the world?
The peeping may not be a sign of alarm. Peeping is the universal "feed me" call of young pigeons. When I come into my loft, all the young squeakers start peeping and lifting their wings. They know that once I feed their parents, they will get fed.

Tags
feral pigeon, pigeon release