can't decide what to use as pigeon flooring in new loft. - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 12th May 2008, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovebirds View Post
I've got those same kind of perches in my loft and my birds don't get pooped on. You're talking about the 2x4 perches, right?
Yep...it's a vertical 2x4 with little (maybe 6" long?) 2x4 perches sticking out at right angles. It seems very economical in terms of space and right now I need something like that. I was imagining my young birds all coming out of the loft in the morning with turds on their backs

Posted 12th May 2008, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnipes View Post
Yep...it's a vertical 2x4 with little (maybe 6" long?) 2x4 perches sticking out at right angles. It seems very economical in terms of space and right now I need something like that. I was imagining my young birds all coming out of the loft in the morning with turds on their backs
Well, if they did, they would fall off...........
But, really, the birds don't poop on each other.
Posted 12th May 2008, 09:49 AM
My aviary has a cement floor, and I put a layer of sand down on top of it. Believe it or not, I use an old colander to "sift" thru the sand and clean it every couple of days. Takes care of droppings and spilled seeds as well. Every so often, I shovel out all the sand and replace it with new sand.

The sand keeps the droppings from sticking to the floor, so I never have to scrape. It doesn't absorb moisture or grow mold, and it is cheap. I sometimes mix a little floor dressing in to keep the odor down.

The only thing I don't like about sand is that it creates some dust when I sift, and since my aviary is attached to our house, I inevitably end up tracking sand indoors even though I always use the doormat, and always wear the same pair of shoes which I leave by the door. But in an outdoor loft, this would not be an issue.

Posted 12th May 2008, 10:08 AM
Here is a picture of the perches in my loft. The birds seem to like them and they don't seem to poo on them. They are 2X4X6" long on a one by four board.

George

Last edited by Avion; 12th May 2008 at 01:12 PM..
Posted 12th May 2008, 10:19 AM
Sand can cause health isues,due to it hold moisture. I used to like sand And it was popular to use in the 70s. Loft birds ones that are not flown No bedding on the floor is needed UNLESS you have ground birds such as fantails Then pine shavings work great. Keeps these typr cleaner and less tail feathere ware from draging the floor. My loft is rather well ventilated So little to no feathers stay in the loft AND NO sick birds, because of constent air exchange I believe. Expanded metal floors are fine But then if the loft is not far enough off the ground then dampness can be a problem. Salong as the birds stay healthy and thrive I guess any method works. No bare earth floors should be used Because of rodents and such could tunnel in. Bare earth floors should have under wire 1/2 inche hardware cloth To keep any rodents or animals from tunneling in.
Posted 12th May 2008, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Q. for you. Using those little roosting spots, do your birds seem to get pooed on a lot? Without the V's, I mean. I would like to make some as I have lots of youngsters who need a spot to sit...but they look 'dangerous'
I have not had any problem with droppings hitting birds, and the low perches work great for those young ones getting their first perch, they soon hop up to higher ones once they get the hang of it! Trust me once you try these you will never go back to any other perch, cuts cleaning time to almost nothing with the way I have it set up, which gives me more time with the birds and makes it so much more enjoyable IMHO!
Posted 12th May 2008, 07:16 PM
thanks to everyone for posting such great responses... This website helped me out a lot yet again!
Posted 12th May 2008, 11:49 PM
Quote:
I was imagining my young birds all coming out of the loft in the morning with turds on their backs
I imagined that too but honestly I've seen my birds do their business with a bird below it. And the poo just slides off due to the natural oil present on their feathers. Also letting them take a bath everyday will keep them clean.

Tags
nesting material, sick bird, young bird