Has anyone ever caught a pigeon cheating on his mate? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 28th April 2010, 04:43 PM

Has anyone ever caught a pigeon cheating on his mate?

I'm just curious if pigeons cheat, when they have a healthy mate waiting at home for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 28th April 2010, 05:31 PM
They will do it when they can See another pair fixing to top the hen a cock bird will try to stop them or try to top the hen. Thats part of locking the pairs down for knowing where the young come from 100% But if good breeding holes/compartments are made then most often the toping happens there where the hen gets topped only by its mate.
Posted 28th April 2010, 05:38 PM
Yes. Lots of cheating going on!!!!

Posted 28th April 2010, 10:42 PM
I Never saw any of my Pigeons cheating on their mates!
Then again, I never heard them making any promisses to each other either!

Last edited by ND Cooper; 28th April 2010 at 10:47 PM..
Posted 28th April 2010, 11:19 PM
Yea. Every day. Both sexes.

Oh wait. You said pigeon, didn't you?

Same answer.
Posted 28th April 2010, 11:20 PM
Has anyone ever caught a pigeon cheating on HER mate?
Posted 28th April 2010, 11:28 PM
Yes...some do...and, some will for different reasons.

A non fruitful Hen will sometimes seek a clandestine liason with a different than her Mate male, in order to preserve her marriage, while at the same time seeking viable Eggs.

Some males are just Playboys, and will seek casual liasons with hens other than their mate, just for fun.

Most Pigeons seem to be faithful and do not go outside of their marriage.

Some males have more than one marriage at the same time, with seperate Hens and seperate Nests and seperate simultaneous clutches of Babys.

Some males will have more than one Hen in the same Nest.

I have a male here who had three Hens in one Nest, sitting on six Eggs, and fighting with one-another about who's turn it was to sit, with him never sitting at all...but instead, he always stayed close to the Nest, guarding the situation faithfully, fiercely.

He loves Babys, and will adopt wayward or orphan ones and look after them and feed them...adopt them.

I do not know how he does it..! Pretty amazing to have three Wives/Hens in the same Nest.

All the Eggs hatched within days of eachother.

Last edited by pdpbison; 28th April 2010 at 11:34 PM..
Posted 29th April 2010, 12:21 AM
A lot of them do, all cock bords in my loft bills and coes behind many other hens, if any of those hens would have accepted the cocks' venture, they would have mated, I am 100% sure. Yet don't expect the playboys take care of the incubation and parenting role as said above if that hen already has another mated cock
Posted 29th April 2010, 01:04 AM
Yes...far as I have seen also, whether in here or amif the outdoors Ferals, the 'Playboys' are in it for passing fun, and there would be no courting or follow up, no togetherness or Nest Making or Baby Raising.

I have a lovely older Hen here, a non-releaseable, who had a wonderful mate, they built Nests, sat devotedly, cuddled and mooed and so on...and...no Eggs.

Eventually her mate left her.

Over time, she had a new Mate, everything lovely, faithful, sincere, built a Nest, took tuns sitting...no Eggs.

She very sveltly carefully, outside of his view, had a fleeting liason with a Playboy, and her mate never knew it.

I imagined she thought the lack of Eggs were somehow from a deficiency of her mate, and, that having the dalliance might remedy it.

However, no Eggs resulted.

She did it again, and, this time, her non-flying mate happened to have been trotting around the corner just at the worst possible moment.

He froze in his tracks, looking I would say 'devistated'...she looked terribly embarassed and consternated, and did not know what to do with herself, so she just sort of went in circles, and, it took quite a while for them to smooth this out, and, it did not stick, and, he left her not long after.

She eventually had a new mate, and, again, no Eggs.

Poor dear...my guess is that over her many years, she used up her allotment of Ovums, and, has no more for any Eggs to occur from, even though she wishes for Eggs and Babys.

Anyway, I am confident she would have remained with the same mate forever, and never wandered, if she could have produced Eggs.

But not producing any, she was unsure if it was somehow his deficiency, and, that underlay her careful secretive liasons.

Even though she is old, when outside among the ferals for the occasional social hour, in periods of not having a mate, she gets a huge amout of attention from various males, and is very popular and gets a lot of one may say mating activity.

Though when she has had a Mate, I never saw her accept or encourage any of these attentions when out for her social hour.

Last edited by pdpbison; 29th April 2010 at 01:08 AM..
Posted 29th April 2010, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Has anyone ever caught a pigeon cheating on HER mate?
Maybe...but what our hens tend to do is just leave their mate if they find someone better! Wingo has had 4 mates this year!
Posted 30th April 2010, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdpbison View Post
Yes...some do...and, some will for different reasons.

A non fruitful Hen will sometimes seek a clandestine liason with a different than her Mate male, in order to preserve her marriage, while at the same time seeking viable Eggs.

Some males are just Playboys, and will seek casual liasons with hens other than their mate, just for fun.

Most Pigeons seem to be faithful and do not go outside of their marriage.

Some males have more than one marriage at the same time, with seperate Hens and seperate Nests and seperate simultaneous clutches of Babys.

Some males will have more than one Hen in the same Nest.

I have a male here who had three Hens in one Nest, sitting on six Eggs, and fighting with one-another about who's turn it was to sit, with him never sitting at all...but instead, he always stayed close to the Nest, guarding the situation faithfully, fiercely.

He loves Babys, and will adopt wayward or orphan ones and look after them and feed them...adopt them.

I do not know how he does it..! Pretty amazing to have three Wives/Hens in the same Nest.

All the Eggs hatched within days of eachother.
I have ALL of the above! With a mix of "Playboys" that don't follow though on their duties
Laying on my hammock watching my birds is equivalent to laying on the couch watching a soap opera

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 2nd May 2010, 06:24 PM
My male pigeon is devoted to his mate, Sweetie Pie most of the time; however his daughter Snowflake seems to think that her father is her mate, and vies for his attention.
Just to get her to stop pestering him, he mates with her! Then he goes back to the mother.
Posted 2nd May 2010, 06:30 PM
My male Pigeon mated with a Mourning Dove. His mate was laying on one newly hatched chick and one egg, and the Mourning Dove laid an egg the next day. Go figure.
Posted 2nd May 2010, 07:42 PM
My male also is devoted to his mate, but will act up to anyonewho comes up, trying to woo them too!
Posted 3rd May 2010, 02:40 AM
You gotta love them, even the bad ones! The cock with three hens and a penchant for feeding and adopting babies is incredible! What a generous heart he must have.

Our sweetest relationship started when Kermit had two hens on different nests. We think he was the "fater" of the second hen's eggs, but he took no notice of her at all, so she was forced to leave the eggs uncovered when she had a break. Another widowed male pigeon saw the uncovered eggs and took over the nesting duties. At the beginning they used to fight over ownership of the eggs, but then they started taking the shift over from each other and eventually became mates.

Tags
cheating