Hawks!!!! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 5th April 2014, 05:10 PM

Hawks!!!!

When will they ever leave! Trying to train young birds, and i bet i have lost half my birds this year. Seems like they are worse than ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 5th April 2014, 06:22 PM
They might if youd quit feeding them lol. On a positve note though look at it as a kind of natural selection for your flock. Are they on your land if so you have a few options but that depends on where you live and how bad you want em gone.
Posted 5th April 2014, 08:36 PM
Hang & place some cd's shiny part up around your loft that might help also you can shoot some bottle rockets in the air to scare them

Posted 5th April 2014, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo70 View Post
Hang & place some cd's shiny part up around your loft that might help also you can shoot some bottle rockets in the air to scare them
Not a bad idea at all. I scare them away from my place all the time. I use .22 caliber flint tipped pellets in my air rifle..You shoot close to them and when the pellets hit they make a loud POP. Of course I live in the middle of no where and I can get away with that kinda stuff. But I would not recomend it for my more urban counterparts.
Posted 5th April 2014, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrMike View Post
Not a bad idea at all. I scare them away from my place all the time. I use .22 caliber flint tipped pellets in my air rifle..You shoot close to them and when the pellets hit they make a loud POP. Of course I live in the middle of no where and I can get away with that kinda stuff. But I would not recomend it for my more urban counterparts.
4 sure I had a young cooper hawk this year show up after about a week of him coming around and chasing my old bird team around I pulled out some bottle rockets and would launch them by him in the air and after about 2 days of that he quit coming around I also replaced the CD's around my loft with new shiny ones that also helped. but they hate things that go Boom!
Posted 7th April 2014, 12:41 AM
Bottle rockets,what are they made of and how do you fire them,I've been cracking a whip but the birds have worked that out, HELP,,,,,,,,,,
Posted 7th April 2014, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker slave View Post
Bottle rockets,what are they made of and how do you fire them,I've been cracking a whip but the birds have worked that out, HELP,,,,,,,,,,
Its a artillery firework you place it in a upright bottle and light the fuse and it launches into the air about 80 ft and go boom! we live near Evanston Wyoming they sell fireworks. its a firecracker on a thin long stick.

Last edited by Pollo70; 7th April 2014 at 11:57 AM..
Posted 7th April 2014, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollo70 View Post
Its a artillery firework you place it in a upright bottle and light the fuse and it launches into the air about 80 ft and go boom! we live near Evanston Wyoming they sale fireworks. its a firecracker on a thin long stick.
Do they sell fireworks in australia?
Posted 7th April 2014, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrMike View Post
Do they sell fireworks in australia?
Not any more,bugger
Posted 7th April 2014, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9toes View Post
When will they ever leave! Trying to train young birds, and i bet i have lost half my birds this year. Seems like they are worse than ever.
Alot of trees you way. Hawks might be a year around thing.. Letting your young birds out close to dark say 30 to and hour When they are younger Helps.. When the birds are up flying seems less get hit when sitting the loft or taking off They are easyer targets. So you might make sure the birds get up as soon as they are released and trap fast when they come down to the loft. But the younger young birds often will sit the loft and make short flights. Staying outside withewm helps. Anyway good luck
Posted 8th April 2014, 03:08 PM
just trap the hawk, they have how to traps for hawk on you tube easy to make with chicken wire and a you chicken or a pigeon don't worry the pigeon will not be harm on these traps once you trapping but them in a box and fine out if someone is going way out of town like a tracker and give him a $20 to take your problem far away and let the hawk free or you could get a permit if that hawk is killing you live stock and put him down, yes they do have permit for that look it up, the first one is really against the law but you not harming him you just relocating him, the trap is call aBal-Chatri here a link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnfuKjbm3Kc
Posted 9th April 2014, 05:41 AM
be chttp://www.greenenvironmentnews.com/Environment/Wildlife/7+CALIFORNIA+%27ROLLER+PIGEON%27+ENTHUSIASTS+CHARG ED+WITH+KILLING%2C+Oregon+HELPING+TO+KILL%2C+PROTE CTED+HAWKS+AND+FALCONS

Last edited by flight; 9th April 2014 at 05:49 AM..
Posted 9th April 2014, 07:30 PM
Smile

Two things to do...

You could trap or shoot hawk. I would catch it with a wire cage. Research "Hawk Traps". There are plenty of ideas. If you shoot the hawk, use a slingshot (won't kill) or gun (will kill, hey, rymes!). This is basic info from, ~*The Dobson Loft~*!
Posted 9th April 2014, 08:59 PM
It's against the law to kill, injure, or trap them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 9th April 2014, 10:49 PM
Very bad advice to shoot/trap hawks for just doing what they were put on earth to do. It is illegal, as Jay says, but also immoral. They have as much right to life as our pigeons. It is up to you to protect your birds in a way that does no harm to other species.

Also, it is against forum rules to discuss killing of any sort. Please refrain from any more conversations about it. There have been several other, more humane, ways mentioned. Try these.