Hello and a request please - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 12th June 2010, 11:24 PM

Hello and a request please

Hi all, I'm making a new site on hero animals that have saved mankind due to their actions. The site is dedicated to Cher Ami as I thought he was so brave (even though I know nothing about pigeons but seem to have some on my London balcony). So far I have CA, G.I Joe and Mary of Exeter, not a pigeon expert myself I was hoping you could suggest some more that should be included?

Many thanks for any suggestions in advance and will post the link once it's up and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th June 2010, 03:14 AM
That sounds like an exciting project!

This is a good place to start as it names the animals (including pigeons) and the reason they were awarded the Dickins medal. From there you can research a bit further and make your own choice about which one to include: as far as I remember threre was also a French medal and there may be others that are less well known.

There are some photos on the 'net, there are also photos in books such as Levi's The Pigeon and also a few monuments that you could use as illustrations.

Good luck!

Cynthia
Posted 13th June 2010, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feefo View Post
That sounds like an exciting project!

This is a good place to start as it names the animals (including pigeons) and the reason they were awarded the Dickins medal. From there you can research a bit further and make your own choice about which one to include: as far as I remember threre was also a French medal and there may be others that are less well known.

There are some photos on the 'net, there are also photos in books such as Levi's The Pigeon and also a few monuments that you could use as illustrations.

Good luck!

Cynthia
Great site!!!

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"

Posted 13th June 2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the link :-) I'll post the complete url once it's more populated.
Posted 13th June 2010, 08:18 AM
Here's a good link.

http://pigeonracingpigeons.com/2010/...famouspigeons/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 13th June 2010, 08:53 AM
The wikipedia lists all the pigeons that got the Dickins Medal, but I have a book that does as well...that probably has a little more detail on each one I can post info if you'd like.

Edit: OOPS! Nevermind, I forgot I had already typed up the info (or a summary of it) from the book in my blog:
http://pulse.yahoo.com/_L7Z2HZMD2WIZ...articles/22661

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~

Last edited by MaryOfExeter; 13th June 2010 at 08:56 AM..
Posted 13th June 2010, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryOfExeter View Post
The wikipedia lists all the pigeons that got the Dickins Medal, but I have a book that does as well...that probably has a little more detail on each one I can post info if you'd like.
That would be nice. The link I posted gives information on each one that it lists also. Makes it a lot more helpful and interesting than just listing the names.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 13th June 2010, 12:18 PM
The trick will be to do specific research to gather as much information about the pigeons of your choice as can be found so that eventually your website has more on it about those pigeons than any other available.

I can send you copies of the information available in Levi's book if you like, which includes photos of Buck Shot, Gunpowder and Pretty Baby, Lord Adelaide, Cher Ami, The Mocker, Spike, The Poilu, Steady, Colonel's Lady and President Wilson. You would probably have to get permission to publish the photos, but the book includes the sources .

However, it would be fitting if you also paid tribute to the thousands of pigeons that were blasted out of the sky shortly after being released, without making any impact on history or their names being recorded.... although their lives were sacrificed for a human cause.
Posted 13th June 2010, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feefo View Post
The trick will be to do specific research to gather as much information about the pigeons of your choice as can be found so that eventually your website has more on it about those pigeons than any other available.

I can send you copies of the information available in Levi's book if you like, which includes photos of Buck Shot, Gunpowder and Pretty Baby, Lord Adelaide, Cher Ami, The Mocker, Spike, The Poilu, Steady, Colonel's Lady and President Wilson. You would probably have to get permission to publish the photos, but the book includes the sources .

However, it would be fitting if you also paid tribute to the thousands of pigeons that were blasted out of the sky shortly after being released, without making any impact on history or their names being recorded.... although their lives were sacrificed for a human cause.
That's a very good idea Tribute not just to the pigeons, but to the other animals that I'm sure were also lost without a trace left behind.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~