Instant Squab death?! HELP! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 2nd May 2014, 06:28 PM

Instant Squab death?! HELP!

So I'm so heartbroken and can't stop crying over this little bird, he died.
He was doing amazing? growing perfectly i woke up in the morning he was awake, squeaking for food, i fed him he was good, I ran upstairs 5 mins and when I came back he was dead???? I'm soooo freaked out and hurt I have no idea what happened?? His parents did not feed him and would not sit on him from the beginning, but they did his sibling. his sibling was huge in comparison of this little guy I took care of.. When I brought him in he was on the verge of death and I went out bought exact, fed him and everything was good for almost a month... Can it be he already had some sort of sickness and this is why the parents didn't take care of him/her? I'm so devastated hoping I wasn't the cause of this I got so attached so quick. :'(

anybody??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 2nd May 2014, 10:56 PM
Hello. Sorry for the little one. I think that canker stunts the young pigeons growt and can kill them. And please stop crying. Thanks.
Posted 3rd May 2014, 09:43 AM
So sorry to hear about the loss.
Before giving any medication get the droppings of parent birds tested.
The squab didn't die for no reason.
Before suspecting any diseases,I wanna ask you malteseprincess78 that Are you sure you didn't aspirate the squab(unknowingly)?

Posted 3rd May 2014, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jass SamOplay View Post
So sorry to hear about the loss.
Before giving any medication get the droppings of parent birds tested.
The squab didn't die for no reason.
Before suspecting any diseases,I wanna ask you malteseprincess78 that Are you sure you didn't aspirate the squab(unknowingly)?

Exactly what I would have said and asked.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 4th May 2014, 04:48 AM

medicateing pigeons

I am new here but have been reading posts for a long time now. I just had lost a young bird who just started to fly and eat by himself .his parents had stopped feeding him at 2 weeks so my wife and i took him under our wings this bird became part of our family and i never thought id say that about a bird my wife named him terrybird he was awesome he started walking way to early maybe because he had room to move about anyway as terry grew he my wife would walk around with terry on her shoulder he would nessle in her hair and try feeding from her ear that was terrys mommy he would run to her when she came home from work it was the funnest thing id ever seen his wings flapping squeaking hopping around to get to her she would put a towel in her arms and terry would snuggle in as he started to fly a bit to early with feathers not fully developed he would fly and stick to her chest it seemed he was a strong healthy young bird then one day my wife was walking with terry he started to lose his balance he became week pooping watery grean droppings lost weight really fast his crop got tight as if there wasnt enough water in it all he wanted to do was be in my wifes arms soon terry couldnt walk and in two days terry lost his fight for life i dontthink ill ever see a bird as tame as terry and im myself am saddend by his passing and for my wife who was so in love with him .now i will medicate my flock to make sure all r healthy... sorry for such a long story but i had to get it out...i hope u r flying high terry we love u
Posted 4th May 2014, 05:14 AM
Hello and welcome to PT.
I'm so sorry to hear about terrybird.
Thanks for sharing his story with us all,he was such a nice campanign.

If his crop was filled with water few days before dying then it could be crop canker. Since he was hand fed by you guys,he may have developed candida also.

Did you treat his parents for canker before letting them breed? If not,canker is a great possibility. When a pigeon starves he would become emaciated and would stumble.

Observe your birds for any signs and symptoms they may be showing. Get the cultures done if you wanna be sure that there's nothing/something wrong!
Good luck.
Posted 4th May 2014, 09:40 AM
His crop wasn't filled with water. He said it was just the opposite.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 4th May 2014, 05:26 PM
Oh okay! Thanx. I took that wasn't as was. Sorry

Then it may be some sort of bacterial infection or candida. (Or even dehydration can lead to symptoms like that)
Posted 4th May 2014, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybird View Post
I am new here but have been reading posts for a long time now. I just had lost a young bird who just started to fly and eat by himself .his parents had stopped feeding him at 2 weeks so my wife and i took him under our wings this bird became part of our family and i never thought id say that about a bird my wife named him terrybird he was awesome he started walking way to early maybe because he had room to move about anyway as terry grew he my wife would walk around with terry on her shoulder he would nessle in her hair and try feeding from her ear that was terrys mommy he would run to her when she came home from work it was the funnest thing id ever seen his wings flapping squeaking hopping around to get to her she would put a towel in her arms and terry would snuggle in as he started to fly a bit to early with feathers not fully developed he would fly and stick to her chest it seemed he was a strong healthy young bird then one day my wife was walking with terry he started to lose his balance he became week pooping watery grean droppings lost weight really fast his crop got tight as if there wasnt enough water in it all he wanted to do was be in my wifes arms soon terry couldnt walk and in two days terry lost his fight for life i dontthink ill ever see a bird as tame as terry and im myself am saddend by his passing and for my wife who was so in love with him .now i will medicate my flock to make sure all r healthy... sorry for such a long story but i had to get it out...i hope u r flying high terry we love u

You should start a new thread on this, as this was someone elses post, and it gets confusing giving answers to both. I'll PM you on how to do that.

Posted 5th May 2014, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malteseprincess78 View Post
So I'm so heartbroken and can't stop crying over this little bird, he died.
He was doing amazing? growing perfectly i woke up in the morning he was awake, squeaking for food, i fed him he was good, I ran upstairs 5 mins and when I came back he was dead???? I'm soooo freaked out and hurt I have no idea what happened?? His parents did not feed him and would not sit on him from the beginning, but they did his sibling. his sibling was huge in comparison of this little guy I took care of.. When I brought him in he was on the verge of death and I went out bought exact, fed him and everything was good for almost a month... Can it be he already had some sort of sickness and this is why the parents didn't take care of him/her? I'm so devastated hoping I wasn't the cause of this I got so attached so quick. :'(

anybody??
It sounds like he aspirated, which means the food went down the wrong way.

Tags
fantail pigeon