my first egg - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 12th April 2008, 08:32 PM

my first egg

Hi every one my rollers i got them two weeks a go and she just lay egg today i very happy any things i need to do for them i have pair if rollers and pair of white kings and pair homers( hen).. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 12th April 2008, 09:03 PM
Have you provided the birds with a nest bowl and materials to construct a nest with? Obviously, they need plenty of fresh water, food, and a source of calcium and minerals such as oyster shell grit.

Congratulations on the first egg! I know you are very happy and excited!

Terry

Posted 12th April 2008, 09:10 PM
no yet can i get nest bowl from feed store.....and it OK to pickup the egg.. thanks

Posted 12th April 2008, 11:00 PM
You can probably get nest bowls from the feed store, but you can also use a dog food bowl or something similar. I don't know if you have a loft with nest boxes or if your bird has laid her egg on the floor. A little more information about your setup would be helpful to our members in offering you advice.

The important thing is to have some type of nest that the birds can place the nesting material in. Without something (nesting material) for the baby birds to grip with their feet to help keep their legs in the proper position, they can develop splayed legs which is something you really, really want to avoid. The babies can't be on a slick surface.

Here's one thread about nesting materials that you might find to be of interest: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=25110 If you will click on the Search link at the top of the page and type in nesting material, there will be a lot of good threads for you to read.

I would first provide the birds with some type of nest bowl and the nesting material. Let them start a nest and then move the egg(s) into the nest. Be aware that they may not accept this arrangement since one egg has already been laid. If the birds insist on incubating the egg(s) where they were laid, then about the best to hope for is that they will use the nesting material to construct at least a meager nest for the egg(s).

I'm sure more members will be along shortly with their advice.

Terry

Posted 13th April 2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks Terry , yes i do have loft H6xw4xL6 and i have six nest boxes and i have three pair of pigeons and she lay the egg inside the nest box on the top of news paper i will go in the morning to feed store to see if the have the nest bowl ......... i have white kings and can i let the kings out did they fly to the roof i don't want keep them all the time in the loft anyone help please when i got them i been told they can fly from two, three blocks i don't if it true

thank you
Posted 13th April 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the additional information. Since you have nest boxes and the egg is in the box you just need some type of nest bowl and some nesting material for them to use to build their nest.

I wouldn't chance letting the Kings out to free fly. They really don't have much homing ability and aren't the greatest at flying. They would be very vulnerable to a predator like a hawk and could also easily get lost if they strayed too far from home. If you have room, perhaps you could make an aviary for them where they could be out and fly a bit while safely confined in the aviary.

Terry

Tags
baby bird, homing ability, nest bowl, nest bowls, nest boxes, nesting material, oyster shell, oyster shell grit, splayed leg