Pigeon-Talk banner
32K views 178 replies 32 participants last post by  Aliayan 
#1 · (Edited)
When I first came here there was a thread titled Picture of the Day. That thread was one of the most enjoyable for me personally on this site. I am not sure why it was closed, but I believe it may have just gotten to large for software to accommodate. I am opening up a new one. If there was some other reason for closing the first thread the admin may also close this one.

A little information for those interested in posting pictures. I used to post picture links from a site called Photobucket, but I have not been able to get pics to load here with links from that site for a long while. I also screwed up and deleted all my pictures on that site by accident.:( I have also loaded pics to a photo album here, but was unable to get the pics linked in the threads as picture url or as pictures. The only way I have been able to make the pictures show in the thread is to post them as attachments.

I will start the new thread off with a picture of a young West of England cock bird that I recently purchased from a local feed store.

Bird Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak Figurine

See less See more
#70 ·
Thanks c,

Anything with a solid white head is referred to a baldhead in rollers. This hen would be referred to as a baldhead brooch due to the chain of white feathers trailing down the chest. I have raised a lot like this one in various colors. Many rollers have what is called a badge head with a mixture of white and color over the head.

#71 ·
Black & White beard

This roller cock bird would be referred to as a beard. I use a kind of coding system to describe the birds in my record keeping. I also take a picture of every bird to aid in identifying them. My description for him would go like this: Black Beard W/F M/T. He is white flighted with a mixed tail.

Bird Vertebrate Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak

#72 · (Edited)
Chuck, you really know a lot about pigeon plumage. Am always amazed at the variety in colors. There are so many lovely patterns. Wish we could have more pigeons living with us! Hate to admit it because I love every one of them but wish we had more gorgeous birds like yours. :)
Blue must be a badge head I guess because he has a white head with bluish patches on top of it. In the dog world though most of our birds would lovingly be called mixed breeds or mutts. :)

#73 ·
Trio of young Racing Homers

I picked these three up at a feed store on Saturday.

This one is a true silver bar (dilute blue bar). I have dilute in my homers but not on blue until now. This one had a pox sore on the wing, and looked like it had a healed sore on one eye. All three are in quarantee across the yard in isolated pen until they are deemed clear.
Bird Pigeons and doves Beak Rock dove Feather

I picked this one up thinking it was a brown grizzle, but on closer inspection I believe it is a true silver check carrying grizzle. This is the same dilute gene as in the first bird but with a couple of different modifiers.
Bird Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak Figurine

The last one is a blue barless. I already had two adult blue barless birds, but I got all three of these because they are unflown squeakers and one day I might be able to fly them.
Bird Vertebrate Pigeons and doves Rock dove Beak

#81 ·
Breeding boxes

This picture is being put up for a new member with three birds. The boxes pictured are used for breeding during the breeding season with one pair of birds to each side. In the picture you can see a wooden box on a shelf at the back of the box. This box is an enclosed nest box. It can be filled with straw or hay and the birds can be put together earlier in the season without losing youngsters to freezing. As the weather heats up I often pull these boxes and put the nest bowl on the shelf. The lower half of the box has a wooden floor in the back half and a wire floor on the front half. I often put a nest bowl on the wooden lower floor and put fledged out young down on the floor. This allows the pair to lay and start the next round earlier if they choose. The individual sides in the boxes are 3"Wide X 4'Deep X 48" in the front sloping to 45" in the back.

These boxes can also be used to comfortably house four to six birds by taking out the shelf and adding three perches along the two side walls. The birds are not over crowded in this setup. Rollers are often kept and flown out of kit boxes similar to these with up to twenty perches for the flock. The more birds kept in the boxes the more the need for them to have fly time. They should be given liberty at least a couple of times a week. If someone wished to fly birds out of this box a bob or drop trap should be added to the front or side of the box so that the birds can re-enter the loft, but not get back out at will. Keep in mind bob traps can allow predators to enter the box whereas drop and stall traps can be made smaller so that it is more difficult for a predator to enter.

As you can see the bottom of the door is up off the floor about a foot. This was done to keep the birds from falling out when I feed as they sometimes are want to crowd up to the door. It also keeps wild birds from getting out since I can block the door easier without the gap at the bottom.
It is a feature that I recommend for all small kit and breed boxes.

Cage Animal shelter Chicken coop Pet supply Bird

#88 · (Edited)
Sorry, had to add Lucy and Tracy later. So here they are!
Buzzy and Fiona Jr are the "oops" babies growing up now. Blue is the presumed female who turned out to be a male, who recently returned from a 48 hour foray outside with at least two encounters with hawks before returning to his beloved Fiona. His photo was taken just before he took off for a while, after being separated by me from Fiona and Buzzy (who he was scalping). Now Buzzy and Fiona Jr are in their own flight cage, Blue and Fiona (never to be separated again) are in their flight cage, and Tracy and Lucy are together in their fight cage. I guess they are just run of the mill pigeons but we love them a lot. Tracy strangely has begun showing lots of white spots all over her head and neck (since I took these photos). Looks very strange but guess it is part of her molt.

Attachments

#93 · (Edited)
It looks like a Mookie. Does it have a head shake, and does it hold it's head back over the body similar to a fantail?
The link is to the American Mookie Association site. I think you will see birds like the one you have in this gallery. The stance
on the birds in the picture is what I was referring to in regard to neck and head position.

http://www.americanmookeeassociation.com/id3.htm

The other breed that comes to mind with those markings is the Catalonian Tumbler, but I have never seen one with a shell crest.