Pigeon poop as fertilizer - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 21st November 2007, 04:58 AM

Pigeon poop as fertilizer

Below is a photograph of my neighbour with a pile of composted pigeon poop at his feet. You can see how rich the resulting soil is in comparison to the allotment earth.

I was doing a little research on pigeons and fertilisers when I came accross a site for Deter a Pigeon ( I think they are San Francisco based). It covered the use of pigeon poop as a fertilizer and I was so impressed by their "21 Amazing facts you didn't know about pigeons" that I have favourited it for information for pigeon trading cards.

http://www.deterapigeon.com/21-amazi...ut-pigeons.htm

Cynthia

Last edited by Feefo; 1st February 2008 at 11:12 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 21st November 2007, 05:55 AM
That is fantastic...thank you for sharing that link! It probably should be stickied somewhere.......

Posted 21st November 2007, 06:43 AM
Hi Cynthia,
What is the best way to compost pigeon droppings?
I have tried putting the droppings directly in my flowerbeds when I clean the aviary, but there must be a better way.

Anyone have a good recipe for this?

Posted 21st November 2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks for posting that link. I saw it before but forgot to save it in my favorites. It was the first site I thought of when the trading card idea popped up.

"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds." - Aesop

~Semper Fidelis~
Posted 21st November 2007, 12:08 PM
Thumbs up

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, CYNTHIA!!!

That pigeon link has been added to My Favorites!! That link is the best, comprehensive informational one that I've seen!

Definitely has MY VOTE for a STICKY!!

Shi
& Squeaks (who says, "I approve, on behalf of all my species!")
Posted 21st November 2007, 06:32 PM
Moon,
I pile them between my kitboxes, mix in a some grass clippings and feathers, pine needles, whatever. Let em sit and water them occasionally. After a few days the flys will go away. I sprinkle a little "Halts" on the pile to keep any seed from germinating also ensuring it is clean when I use it in the garden.
After a few weeks turn it over with a spade monthly. It doesn`t take very long for the worms to get it broken down, smelling and like a really great rich soil. Just dont get in a hurry, it is pretty hot.

I sprinkle the clean scrapings right onto the grass.
Posted 22nd November 2007, 03:46 AM
In the UK everyone has become very green and keen on recycling. The council provided us with composters and I just empty the pigeon droppings into those (I have two) , keep it moist and wait.

Cynthia
Posted 22nd November 2007, 06:57 AM
I compost my pigeon droppings using a purpose made compost bin, mix with the days leaves and leave for a few days or weeks and voila, we get fertiliser.
Posted 25th November 2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks everyone - I am going to give this composting thing a try!
Posted 25th November 2007, 06:20 PM
Get a compost bin - looks like a upside down garbage cann with holes. you also can make your own one. depending on your climate you may need to buy some decomposing bacteria to get it started.
Posted 25th November 2007, 06:47 PM
I like the sixth one,The religious significance of the pigeon.

I have to feed the pigeons for religious reasons, my neighbor would love that one. I could just imagine telling her I'm feeding pigeons because I don't want to be hungry in my next life. She already thinks I'm crazy. I avoid her as much as possible.

I vote for a sticky please . My desktop and files are a mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark 1:10
And straightway coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him.
Posted 24th February 2012, 10:43 AM
A little late, but I use my pigeon droppings to start onions and daikons in pots.
Posted 24th February 2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for bumping this GW.
I have been saving some poo this last year. I have a decent amount and will be using it in the garden.
Does anyone have anymore info on it? It is pretty hot eh? Not good to mix straight into soil, i.e. needs to be composted first right?

I am building a a 8x24' raised bed and like to keep my gardening simple.
I usually use simple things like bone/blood meal fish emulsions ect.
I love organic gardening with these simple fertilizers as it is almost impossible to over do things.

So my main question to whomever is how should I prepare my soil for instant planting using pigeon poo. Is it even possible?
TIA.

http://www.youtube.com/flyingtipplers
-Corbin
Posted 24th February 2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCorbin View Post
I have been saving some poo this last year. I have a decent amount and will be using it in the garden.
Does anyone have anymore info on it? It is pretty hot eh? Not good to mix straight into soil, i.e. needs to be composted first right?

I love organic gardening with these simple fertilizers as it is almost impossible to over do things.

So my main question to whomever is how should I prepare my soil for instant planting using pigeon poo. Is it even possible?
TIA.
I let mine dry out, and then actually put it in a coffee mill used for this sole purpose. You can pick one up at a Salvation Army or Goodwill for a dollar or two...... then I blend it into a fine powder. I then mix it with my compost, and it creates a very rich soil.
Posted 24th February 2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCorbin View Post

TIA.
I have an area down the back where I mix it in with soil and let it sit for about a year before putting it on the garden, It is quite strong to put striaght on but I guess if you dug it down deep at the back of the garden it could work

Tags
feeding pigeons, pigeon poop, pine needles

You may also search for: