Plastic Bending Straws! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 31st May 2016, 07:50 AM

Plastic Bending Straws!

News Flash!

Use plastic bending straws for nesting material! As you know, my homing doves live inside with me. i accidently discovered these plastic bending straws work better than anything i used before, such as cedar tree dropped firs.... i ran out of these one day, the lawn mower chewed all of the available firs outside and all i had saved were used up.

So, i had a bag of plastic straws i got at the dollar store in the cupboard; so i threw a few on the floor....my doves were fighting over them...so i threw the whole bag of these plastic bending straws on the floor and my 5 males, picked them all up for their hens.

After setting on wooden eggs, i simply rinse off the straws to get them clean, and use them again" i think they like them because they are bendable, and give "bounce" and make a deep enough nesting for soft cushion.

Just thought i let you know, those of you who have lofts outside would probably never know how really great doves love these straws!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st May 2016, 08:56 AM
I think that is neat you can wash and reuse. But you're right I would not use them out in my loft. They pickup twigs on their own and it's free.
Posted 31st May 2016, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLu View Post

So, i had a bag of plastic straws i got at the dollar store in the cupboard; so i threw a few on the floor....my doves were fighting over them...so i threw the whole bag of these plastic bending straws on the floor and my 5 males, picked them all up for their hens.
Sounds like the males had quite a lot of fun picking them up, quite a party. great to know you can recycle them for the birds to have more fun later.

Posted 9th June 2016, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeking View Post
Sounds like the males had quite a lot of fun picking them up, quite a party. great to know you can recycle them for the birds to have more fun later.
Have more fun? Yep, these males actually steal straws from other nests! So, i bought another bag for $1 at the dollar store and put them in an empty nest box; to stop the theft! What a riot it is to watch these guys fight over these straws...they are the perfect nesting material, they give a bouncy cushion for the chicks; so no splayed leg...they also give enough airflow as the mother sets on the eggs...you outside loft guys should give it a try; throw out some straws in the loft and watch the party!
Posted 9th June 2016, 04:39 PM
They would be fine for birds on fake eggs, but if actually breeding, don't think they would work very well, as they would be slippery when piled up on each other. Wouldn't stay in place very well. Besides which, I don't think with all the cleaning you have in a loft, that you then would want to have to wash the nesting material. Quicker and easier to use something and discard it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 10th June 2016, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
They would be fine for birds on fake eggs, but if actually breeding, don't think they would work very well, as they would be slippery when piled up on each other. Wouldn't stay in place very well. Besides which, I don't think with all the cleaning you have in a loft, that you then would want to have to wash the nesting material. Quicker and easier to use something and discard it.
TOTALLY AGREE ^^^, not for use with real eggs and potential hatchlings.....party over!

Posted 10th June 2016, 06:35 AM
Quote:
TOTALLY AGREE ^^^, not for use with real eggs and potential hatchlings.....party over!
jay3 and skyeking...they do work for real eggs....i have just added 2 hens to my flock...waiting to see how they look before allowing the hatching males for the hens;right now they are barely 2 months old. i have hand picked the best of my flock to mate with my males with really good measurements. Meaning, the males wingspans are more than 27" (they are Janssens the breeder took over his dad's jannsen flock when he died). The mother of all my doves is very intelligent. She has had two mates; first one was very intelligent also, but got spoked while on the balcony and got loose, flew away. The second mate was their son. Their offspring varies in intelligence, only one male appears to be as intelligent as their grandparents. It's this intelligent trait i am trying to improve in my chicks. It takes time to develop a good flock through careful research, good record keeping and careful breeding!

i think they like the straws because the bendable part of the straw makes a curvature. The doves intertwine them together to form their nest...like i stated the straws give a cushion for the chicks..the hen can easily keep the chicks under her, with the straws allowing airflow, yet good insulation for warmth and giving mom comfortable "lift" taking her weight off the chicks; as she sets. If straws were not good nesting material; the doves would not use them.

Again, those of you reading this, if you want to prevent splayed leg, these straws are the answer!
Posted 10th June 2016, 07:15 AM
Quote:
jay3 and skyeking..**.they do work for real eggs....
Quote:
News Flash!

Use plastic bending straws for nesting material! As you know, my homing doves live inside with me. i accidently discovered these plastic bending straws work better than anything i used before, such as cedar tree dropped firs.... i ran out of these one day, the lawn mower chewed all of the available firs outside and all i had saved were used up.

***After setting on wooden eggs, i simply rinse off the straws to get them clean, and use them again" i think they like them because they are bendable, and give "bounce" and make a deep enough nesting for soft cushion.

Just thought i let you know, those of you who have lofts outside would probably never know how really great doves love these straws!
** So you are saying you have actually had couples hatch and raise babies successfully using these straws??

*** You did not mention that in your original post, you only mentioned using them after setting on the wooden eggs.

Please do post pictures of the nest, parents on nest and hatchlings, I would love to see it.

Posted 10th June 2016, 08:09 AM
Quote:
** So you are saying you have actually had couples hatch and raise babies successfully using these straws??

*** You did not mention that in your original post, you only mentioned using them after setting on the wooden eggs.

Please do post pictures of the nest, parents on nest and hatchlings, I would love to see it.
Will do!

All my pairs for the month of June haven't laid yet; they just finished setting end of May, i've cleaned their nest boxes so i have nothing yet to take a picture of.... it's closer to the 20th of the month when they begin nesting again, when they do get their nest fixed, i take a picture of the straw nest and post it!

As far as parents with hatchlings; I'm not letting any hatch eggs til the fall...i need two males; but need to wait to see what these hens look like, in a month or two before i pick the parents for their mates, so that pic won't be til later on
Posted 10th June 2016, 08:17 AM
So, have they ever hatched and raised babies using the straws?

Posted 10th June 2016, 10:07 AM
The babies need something to grab onto with their feet that will not slip out from under them. That will help prevent splayed leg. Straws are slippery, especially when piled up in a nest. Would not stay in place.

Yes they would use them even if they were not good for nesting material. They have no choice, if that is what you give them. They will use whatever they have. Besides, pigeons are not always to fussy about their nest building. They will use paper strips that some people give them, or twist ties.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 17th June 2016, 12:21 PM
Quote:

okay...i posted several jpgs. mom is still setting on eggs, so too soon to see the chicks..other moms have just left their nests, one pair is in the nest box next to the
nest with straws (and wooden eggs) just abandoned. right now this pair has laid their second egg...it will be 17 days till i have chicks. This is the first pair i've let have their
eggs in months...so you will have to wait for the chick pic with mom!

Posted 17th June 2016, 12:26 PM

Last edited by LeeLu; 17th June 2016 at 12:35 PM..
Posted 17th June 2016, 12:36 PM
sorry these are so large....i don't know how to reduce the size!
Posted 17th June 2016, 06:12 PM
Thank you for the pics. But I still say that they would not be able to pile them up as they can with straw or even tobacco stems, as they would slip on each other. Plastic straws are slippery. The amount that is in those pics isn't really enough to build a nest with. And put those in a slippery nest bowl, or wooden floored nest box, and they would slide out from under. You have used fabric for the nest floor. You can't do that in a loft. With nesting materials, they can build deep nests.

Tags
nesting material