Propolis for pigeons - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 29th March 2019, 09:21 AM

Propolis for pigeons

Hello,

I found some recipes for using propolis drops for pigeons. Propolis is a natural antibiotic and it can be used as a natural way of healing minor infections or wounds. Anyway, all the posts were talking about propolis alcohol solution, and how amount of alcohol should be 20% or less, to avoid any harm to birds.

I went looking for propolis and found it "without" alcohol component - propolis drops for children, but upon closer inspection it is written on the label "propolis dissolved in water-glycerin mixture in ration 2:9:9". Does anyone know if glycerin is safe for pigeons?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th March 2019, 03:57 PM
Glycerin is a sugar alcohol
Posted 30th March 2019, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFeral View Post
Hello,

I found some recipes for using propolis drops for pigeons. Propolis is a natural antibiotic and it can be used as a natural way of healing minor infections or wounds. Anyway, all the posts were talking about propolis alcohol solution, and how amount of alcohol should be 20% or less, to avoid any harm to birds.

I went looking for propolis and found it "without" alcohol component - propolis drops for children, but upon closer inspection it is written on the label "propolis dissolved in water-glycerin mixture in ration 2:9:9". Does anyone know if glycerin is safe for pigeons?

Thank you
This site has info on how to use it for chickens, scroll down and it says to dilute in water and oil.. I think I may take this myself!!

https://beepothecary.wordpress.com/2...hered-friends/

Posted 31st March 2019, 12:46 PM
Hello,

Sure I know, for pigeons it is first time 2 drops for 1 litre of water and later 4 drops. For prevention should be given 2 times a week - because it is an antibiotic in a way and will harm gut flora if taken more, but for diseases in the early stage can be given every day and then probiotic afterwards.

I was just a bit concerned because I didn't know anything about glycerine. However it is safe for birds if taken in very small amounts - managed to find this data. Large quantities can damage liver.

Also thank you for the link it was good to read a bit more in depth. I especially like the fact that it has anti viral properties as there is nothing out there that can fight viruses. Next time I will try if there is a case of adeno or PMV.

Best wishes

Tags
pigeon