Shall I release or keep this poor pigeon? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 16th July 2019, 02:14 PM

Shall I release or keep this poor pigeon?

5 days ago I got contacted by my friend, because he saw a young pigeon being attacked by seagulls. The poor thing, who I call Peter was badly injured on the head and neck, scalped and bloody. We don’t have any rescue shelters for injured birds where I live. The authorities advice would be to let it die, but I couldn’t let Peter sit and suffer.
Our plan was to either take care of him until he recovers and is old enough to fly or if he’s dying we make it comfortable for him.
Unfortunately, I don’t know if he’s allright. The only good sign is that he has a great appetite. Otherwise, he looks so sad and sits most of the time. He hasn’t said a word. I talk to him a lot though and try to show him that he’s not alone.
Now, I don’t know if I can release him when he can fly. Can a pigeon survive on his own if he’s been raised by people? And if he’s bald, he might not be accepted or freeze in the winter? If he stays with me, I will be his only friend and will that be enough? My heart is aching for him. I want him to be happy but I have no idea what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th July 2019, 03:54 PM
Hey there, thanks for taking care of this young one.

1. Can you post a picture?
2. What color are his poops? pictures?
3. Where are you located?

If you can place him on a heating pad, or somewhere warm if he is puffed up. His feathers should grow back, but if seagulls were able to beat up on him it may mean he is too sick to fly away or defend himself.

Has he been drinking water? eating?

For water, I suggest a mix of 1 tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar ("with the mothers") for one gallon water. Mix it up and pour some in a shallow container of atleast 1.5 inches deep. if hes not interested in it, gently tip his beak into the water but not past the two bumps called the Cere (Those are his nostrils)

For food, thawed frozen pees are good source of food and water in one if hes not drinking water. If hes eating then they seem to love wheat grains. They eat other bird mix too.

Remember never feed a cold pigeon. They have to be warmed up.

Read this too :
https://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/b...ove-11265.html

www.freewebs.com/clintsloft
Posted 16th July 2019, 08:37 PM
Thank you for rescuing Peter. If he requires extended care he will bond to you. We had an injured feral we fixed up who bonded to us and was not releasable. You could keep him if he bonds to you, get him a large cage or aviary, and if you wish get him or her a friend.

Posted 17th July 2019, 05:05 AM
Thank you for the respons and advice.
I live in Sweden.
He eats a mixture of grain, some seeds, but his favorites are lentils. A few days ago he learned to drink without without our assistance.
I suspect that his wing is damaged or even broken. He can move it and stretches a lot, but it hangs and a big feather is missing. I can’t take him to the vet, because I don’t have that kind of money.
I don’t want to stress him so when I approach him and he backs away, I back. Hopefully he’ll stop being afraid soon.
Posted 17th July 2019, 07:27 AM
He is still very young, much too young to be released. You can rinse the wound with lukewarm saline water and put some antibiotic cream on. The feathers will grow back and if he is able to lift and stretch the wing, then he will be able to fly again.

He will become tamer over time. Releasing him will be difficult, he won't know where to find food and shelter. Those skills they learn from their parents in nature.

If you have the facilities, you can always build him a nice outside aviary and try and get another pigeon later on.

His droppings look good and as long as he maintains a healthy appetite, then you have nothing to worry about.
Posted 17th July 2019, 09:21 AM
Thank you again. I’m so happy to hear about the feathers and wing.
Right now I’m searching for a perfect cage that would fit him, my flat and wallet. I’m also interested in diapers, so he can walk/fly around when I’m home.
I would welcome a pigeon friend to Peter, but how can I get one?
Posted 17th July 2019, 09:30 AM
That make sense as to why he was getting picked on! he must have either fallen or was trying to learn to fly or both. You can apply some neosporin on his head after gently rinsing it with water to prevent an infection. The longer you spend time close to him the more used to you he will get.

Dropping look good , looks like he isn't sick which is huge for his survival.

Try to feed him 3 times a day, morning, mid afternoon and night. Try not to leave food there so he gets hungry and eats when its presented.

If released with other pigeons he has a high chance of entering a flock and just hanging out with them and learns to feed with them.

Posted 17th July 2019, 12:12 PM
Thank you. I’m very happy to get the good news about the wing and the feathers! Right now, I’m looking for a perfect cage that fits Peter, my flat and wallet. I’m also thinking about getting a diaper so he can walk and fly around when I’m home.
I’d love to get a pigeon friend to Peter, but how?
Posted 17th July 2019, 02:32 PM
surprisingly pigeons don't like to have another pigeon too close by. They will fight .. never put two in the same box they are super territorial !

Posted 17th July 2019, 03:03 PM
Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for the information.
Posted 17th July 2019, 11:05 PM
Don't worry too much about a friend for Peter now. First get him healthy and settled in and used to you.
Posted 18th July 2019, 04:28 AM
I will do my best. Thank you all. 🙂
Posted 23rd July 2019, 08:09 AM
The young bird is a wood pigeon, which is a wild species... not a feral rock dove (rock pigeon).

I would contact a wild life rescue rehab, you may try this contact and see if they can help.

Skanor
46-705-471700
Jan Hillarp,
KFV Skane sydvast
[email protected]
Comments: permit for all species. Board member of the national KFV organisation.
(KFV=Katastrofhjalp Faglar och Vilt or translated Catastrophe Aid of Birds and Mammals)