So,whats next? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 14th February 2010, 05:20 PM

So,whats next?

Alright, I got my loft built. Where can I find some birds. I don't need anything fancy. I'm just raising pigeons because I love birds and I thought I would teach my daughter a little responsibilty. Once you get them, what is the pathway to take to get them to home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th February 2010, 05:31 PM
If your talking of homers, which I think you are, they are bought young before 40 days is best and let out of the loft at about 7 to 8 weeks old to loft fly and know the area, then put in a basket and let out in sight of the loft a few times and then moved down the road. some do it this way others like race folks may not. but I think if your doing it for fun this is the way to get them fit to fly home from farther and farther distances. they know how to home they just need to be in shape to do it well.
Posted 14th February 2010, 05:32 PM
Sent you a P/M of Slidell flyers

Posted 14th February 2010, 05:38 PM
so you get them around 1 month old and keep them in your loft for about a month. At that time, let them out in your yard and they will fly back to your loft? I understand you also have to physically show them how to enter the loft. I used a 4: pvc elbow as an entrance.
Posted 14th February 2010, 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
so you get them around 1 month old and keep them in your loft for about a month. At that time, let them out in your yard and they will fly back to your loft? I understand you also have to physically show them how to enter the loft. I used a 4: pvc elbow as an entrance.
yes, you would put a cage of some sort on the outside where the elbow is, and put the young birds out there, and call them in to eat, and that way they will learn how to use the "trap" door or elbow to drop in, because they will be hungry and know your call. start calling them everytime you feed right when you get them and they learn the feed call. it can be a whistle or shake a can or you yelling come on and eat! anything works as longs you use the same call everytime.. when they are coming in the trap quick to eat, then they can be let out to fly around, or venture out as they like to get to know the area.
Posted 14th February 2010, 05:53 PM
Here is how I reccomend doing it.
For the first week you have the young homers every time you feed them make a consistent noise. You can whistle, shake a can of feed or say anything you want as long as it stays the same. They will associate the sound with being fed and this will be your feed call.

The second week place a cage on the outside on your landing board, so that the pigeons can only enter the loft, not fly away. Put the pigeons in the cage wait a couple of minutes for them to settle down and then do the feed call and feed them. They will try to get in to get the feed and thus learn how to trap into the loft. Do this every day.

The third week, if all is going well, skip their feed for a day, but give them water and an hour before dark put them on the board. Slowly remove the cage, so that you do not startle them, enter the loft, do the feed call and feed them. They should immediately enter. If they do not they should still try to get back in to sleep in the loft.

Do this every other day, but give them half of what they will eat in the morning and the rest when they enter during the training in the evening.

The fourth week if all is going well, skip there feed and in the evening put them on the board remove the cage and stand back and watch them for half an hour before calling them in. They may enter right away at first, but eventually they will start circling around and landing on higher perches.

Always make sure they are slightly hungry when you fly them and that they have food waiting for them in the loft.

Once they start routing, flying in big circles out of sight, put them in the cage you will release them from and let them go in several different places in your yard. This acclimates them to being in the cage.

If this is going well start releasing them at about 1 mile away from all different directions.

Slowly increase the distance you release them at until you have them trained out the distance you want them to fly.

Keith
[email protected]
Posted 14th February 2010, 06:49 PM
I thought you would supply them with both food and water all the time. But you say you should only feed them what they will eat in a short peroid of time ( about 30 minutes maybe) then take their food away several hours before you try to teach them to cme back in the loft.
Posted 14th February 2010, 07:33 PM
When feeding racing homers, I recommend that you feed them by hand. While you are whistling or shaking a can of feed (or whatever noise you are going to do that they will learn to associate with feeding time). I recommend that you feed them until two or three of them go for a drink of water. Then all have had enough.

They will eat a lot more than they actually need (like us humans do). But this is how many with racing pigeons feed. But of course, racing enthusiasts want their birds in tip top condition if they can. Lean, mean, flying machines Pet owners might allow them more feed because they don't have to race.

If you breed them, you will need to keep food out for them all of the time that they have babies. If you get squeakers (birds eating on their own but still babies about 30 days old or so), they should have food available all of the time for a week or so after you receive them. It is also a good idea when putting squeakers into a loft, to dip their beaks in the water, just to let them know where it is at. Sounds a little silly I know. But sometimes they just don't "see it" and understand it is water, when they are so young.

Last edited by conditionfreak; 14th February 2010 at 07:35 PM..
Posted 15th February 2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
Alright, I got my loft built. Where can I find some birds. I don't need anything fancy. I'm just raising pigeons because I love birds and I thought I would teach my daughter a little responsibilty. Once you get them, what is the pathway to take to get them to home?
There other breeds that you could fly that need no road traing. There are HYou settle igh Flyers ,Rollers, Tumblers. You settle them the same way as you would with Racing Homers these birds will fly in your area and with in your sight. I will try to find a club or a person close to you that may be able to help you. Let me know your zip or area code this will help me in trying to find some one near by. GEORGE

Last edited by george simon; 15th February 2010 at 03:58 AM..
Posted 15th February 2010, 05:33 AM
zip code is 70458. Thanks for a the help ya'll.
Posted 15th February 2010, 07:17 AM
If there is a local racing pigeon club, you might find a number of people who would be willing to give you a few birds to get started.
Posted 15th February 2010, 10:45 PM
Like george said, theres more than just racers available out there!
Think of what Kind of Pigeons that you would like to have First, Best friends For Life! Right?
Pigeons, with the proper care will live a long time!