spraddle foot - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 22nd May 2008, 12:25 PM
Yes certainly do NOT attempt to remove the bird's leg. Lots of them adjust fine to hobbling around on legs that are deformed or healed poorly after injury. He will adapt and be fine but removing the leg opens the door to bleeding to death and infection. For a little bird who is already so challenged that would be a mistake. Well actually I think it is a mistake in any case unless it's done by a vet.

Posted 22nd May 2008, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnipes View Post
Yes certainly do NOT attempt to remove the bird's leg. Lots of them adjust fine to hobbling around on legs that are deformed or healed poorly after injury. He will adapt and be fine but removing the leg opens the door to bleeding to death and infection. For a little bird who is already so challenged that would be a mistake. Well actually I think it is a mistake in any case unless it's done by a vet.
And what about the pain involved for the bird?!

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 22nd May 2008, 02:29 PM
Hi Ryan,

It really would be helpful lif you could post some pictures of the legs of this little bird. Definitely don't try to do any amputating on your own. The fact that the hip joint is also abnormal kind of makes this a more difficult case with regard to trying to get some improvement without drastic measures.

Pictures really, really would be helpful.

Terry

Posted 22nd May 2008, 04:33 PM
Hi Ryan...

Just to let you know...I have a handicapped pij, who essentially hops around on one leg, occasionally using her bad leg as a crutch.

Her leg had been badly broken at one time and healed terribly. My Vet said to just leave it alone. Gimie (for Gimpy) can fly just fine and luckily, has the carpet in my bedroom to use when she hobbles around while out for exercise.

Sending Hugs and Scritches

Shi and Gimie
Posted 22nd May 2008, 07:19 PM
his foot is broken at the ankle... and then the hip joint is all bent twisted(bajan term lol) it looks awful i am taking it to my uncle on saturday he is a vet ill ask him what to do and see if he can do it for me.

Tags
nesting material, racing pigeon, splayed leg

You may also search for: