State N Coop over run with Skeeters - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 28th October 2011, 11:27 PM
Unhappy

State N Coop over run with Skeeters

Ok question: In my state we are being over run with mosquito's,millions of them, even out in the coop. Went out last night and I couldnt believe how many.
The State is out in full force trying to spray to control the population but wondered if you had any suggestions on what to do to help the birds in the coop. ( by the way we are being chewed alive too)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 29th October 2011, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Ok question: In my state we are being over run with mosquito's,millions of them, even out in the coop. Went out last night and I couldnt believe how many.
The State is out in full force trying to spray to control the population but wondered if you had any suggestions on what to do to help the birds in the coop. ( by the way we are being chewed alive too)
What are you doing now? I would start with hanging a pest strip in the loft. 1 for every 100 sq/ft. (10x10). Make sure you don't have standing water or long grass/weeds on your property. You may need to invest in a bug zapper.
Posted 29th October 2011, 11:03 AM
Yes I have pest strips. Dont think its really helping.
This is not just the coop its the community thats over run.

bug zapper might be a good idea .

Posted 31st October 2011, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Yes I have pest strips. Dont think its really helping.
This is not just the coop its the community thats over run.

bug zapper might be a good idea .
I don't have that problem right now, but in the summer I hang a bug zapper between my 2 lofts. You want to make sure you hang it at least 20' away from the loft, to attract the bugs away from the loft. It's worked great for me

http://cottageontheseacoastloft.weebly.com/index.html
"In Solitude there is Strength, In Strength there is Spirit"
Posted 31st October 2011, 04:32 AM
We have mosquitoes here to, they’re bad at times mostly right at/after dark, but if you go back out a 9-10 they are not so bad..“Screen!” Build, are Buy, screen window type frames built to size of openings. Cover all openings, spray foam in any big holes, when I was young my dog kennel got so bad at one time I bought that dog shade screen netting if comes 10' long and I think I has lowes cut it to length, I completely wrapped the kennel worked great, now that I have my own place I have a fan on them. That’s the reason building my loft fully enclosed. Don’t use any raid sprays are smokers foggers.. I used some once that was “SAFE” for pets, and I lost 3 ring neck doves, Although they were all older and in great health I really think it was from the spray.
Posted 31st October 2011, 05:41 AM
The above recommendations are all great, you can also try if you wish, 100% lemon juice w/water in a spray bottle and spray the inside and outside of the Lofts twice a day, Give the birds small amounts of Garlic in the drinking water every other day and in their bath water also, Try to lay down some pine needles or tobacco stems’ inside the loft. good luck!

Last edited by Tiplets; 31st October 2011 at 06:14 AM..
Posted 31st October 2011, 07:41 AM
Did I read that those pesky little critters are what causes pox, maybe you should vaccinate.
Dave

Tags
fantail pigeon, mosquito