Tinidazole - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 30th April 2014, 05:51 AM

Tinidazole

Hello,
Curious to know if anyone has used Tinidazole before to treat Giardiasis?
If so, what was the recommended dosage?

What is the best treatment, both drug and natural for Giardia?

Thankyou

Ali
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 30th April 2014, 08:57 AM
Metronidazole would be drug of choice. Tinidazole is also an anti protozoa but never used it in paticular to treat Giardia.
Ivermectin and albendazole can also be used to treat them but albendazole is toxic to pigeons.

What symptoms did you observe that give you indications of Giardiasis?
Posted 30th April 2014, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlicjanPip View Post
Hello,
Curious to know if anyone has used Tinidazole before to treat Giardiasis?
If so, what was the recommended dosage?

What is the best treatment, both drug and natural for Giardia?

Thankyou

Ali
finding the source and keeping your birds from it would help after medicating with the metro.

Posted 30th April 2014, 07:55 PM
Hi Jass and Spirit Wings
Thanks heaps for replying!
Yeah, we had a 3 week course of Flagyl at the start of the year to treat what was thought to be canker (we had symptoms of regurgitating, vomiting on top of no appetite, swollen crop, mucus throat, ruffled, breathing issues etc)
The Flagyl stopped the regurgitating and most of these symptoms.
However my pigeons have been having breathing difficulties for the last 11 months that come and go.

I have short face tumblers.

Yesterday we did the AVIAN LABS GIARDIA test which turned out positive.
I've been suspecting giardia for a few months, due to the fact these symptoms come and go on a regular basis, never really clearing completely. Antibiotics never help properly, and my birds don't have an ability to lift off the ground, due to their breathing.
They have just raised a hatching, beautifully parented the kiddo, and I'm very proud of them. However, their breathing issues, decreased appetites and inability to be buoyant with their wings, is very worrying to me.

Symptoms have included:
- Sudden manic, almost feverish type pacing and itching
- Ruffled phases
- Nervousness
- No interest in eating
- Pica-ing (vacuuming surfaces with beaks)
- slightly wettish droppings, khaki green
- or bulky greasy droppings (female), which seem to only be a once daily occurence
- never able to molt completely
- laboured breathing phases, half an hour is shocking, then it calms, then there's good days and rotten days
- occasional desperate needs for minerals
- short grunts in throat, chest upper, sometimes raspy
- tail bobbing
- hunched appearance, tail low
- sleepy

And all these symptoms recur...some last half a day, some last up to a week. Then we have a break, and off we go again. Severity varies. The bad phases have a combination of everything, the not so bad ones have only a couple symptoms.

It gets better and worse. Like a rollercoaster.

This year due to going all natural, we've been having more of a control over the symptoms. We've been getting help from a holistic vet Dr Ross Perry, whose done more than our other vets have done, to help.

However this Giardia still lurks.

I want to start Oregano Oil and Turmeric...do you know of any natural things that might help???

Thanks
Posted 30th April 2014, 09:37 PM
You're welcome

Cultures won't be helpful to determine the ailment for sure as the birds are on constant medication.
Best way to help and make medications work would be giving your birds multivitamins,electrolytes and probiotics.
If vet is holistic then talk to him about use of microbials rather than antibiotics.

If you have given metronidazole treatment then it might have worked against Giardia.
But if test are positive for giardia and your vet is supervising then go for it.

If these were the symptoms :"we had symptoms of regurgitating, vomiting on top of no appetite, swollen crop, mucus throat, ruffled, breathing issues etc)" then go for injectable medications.
Get your birds checked for Candida and E.coli.
Posted 1st May 2014, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Hi Jass and Spirit Wings
Thanks heaps for replying!
Yeah, we had a 3 week course of Flagyl at the start of the year to treat what was thought to be canker (we had symptoms of regurgitating, vomiting on top of no appetite, swollen crop, mucus throat, ruffled, breathing issues etc)
The Flagyl stopped the regurgitating and most of these symptoms.
However my pigeons have been having breathing difficulties for the last 11 months that come and go.

I have short face tumblers.

Yesterday we did the AVIAN LABS GIARDIA test which turned out positive.
I've been suspecting giardia for a few months, due to the fact these symptoms come and go on a regular basis, never really clearing completely. Antibiotics never help properly, and my birds don't have an ability to lift off the ground, due to their breathing.
They have just raised a hatching, beautifully parented the kiddo, and I'm very proud of them. However, their breathing issues, decreased appetites and inability to be buoyant with their wings, is very worrying to me.

Symptoms have included:
- Sudden manic, almost feverish type pacing and itching
- Ruffled phases
- Nervousness
- No interest in eating
- Pica-ing (vacuuming surfaces with beaks)
- slightly wettish droppings, khaki green
- or bulky greasy droppings (female), which seem to only be a once daily occurence
- never able to molt completely
- laboured breathing phases, half an hour is shocking, then it calms, then there's good days and rotten days
- occasional desperate needs for minerals
- short grunts in throat, chest upper, sometimes raspy
- tail bobbing
- hunched appearance, tail low
- sleepy

And all these symptoms recur...some last half a day, some last up to a week. Then we have a break, and off we go again. Severity varies. The bad phases have a combination of everything, the not so bad ones have only a couple symptoms.

It gets better and worse. Like a rollercoaster.

This year due to going all natural, we've been having more of a control over the symptoms. We've been getting help from a holistic vet Dr Ross Perry, whose done more than our other vets have done, to help.

However this Giardia still lurks.

I want to start Oregano Oil and Turmeric...do you know of any natural things that might help???

Thanks

do you think that some birds were harbouring it before you purchased them? how do you think it got introduced into your loft, or what would the source be. ?

Last edited by spirit wings; 5th May 2014 at 08:47 AM..
Posted 1st May 2014, 12:08 PM
Here's a link about Giardia. It's very common here in the Pacific Northwest too. Nearly every time I have a culture done, it positive for giardia and trichinosis. It's a good thing the same medications work for both.

http://www.lakelandbirdkeepers.co.uk...hat_can_ca.htm

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
Posted 2nd May 2014, 08:06 PM
Hi! Thankyou for replying again
The article link was very interesting Charis, thanks heaps for that. We might have to give that tincture mix a try.
The source...I believe its bathroom related. I really don't know. They don't have any exposure to other birds - only the pebbles, grass, tiles they walk on, which wild birds have access to...but its mainly human contact.
:/
Has anyone ever noticed if their pigeons breathe faster and heavier during cold weather?
Its a miserable 15 degree Celcius day here, rainy too, and my birds are breathing faster, more noticably.
What symptoms did you notice with GIardia and your birds???? Did their breathing get affected too?
This is all such a mystery to us
Posted 2nd May 2014, 11:07 PM
Hello. I thought giardia were water related bugs. Where does their water come from? I hope it is not contaminated: sometime artizan water gets mixed with piped water.
Posted 3rd May 2014, 09:23 AM
Usual symptoms like weight loss, nervousness are found. One important symtom that young show is that they squeak for feed more than they normally do.

Pica-ing and panting may be caused by salt deficiency and weakness. Usually they "vaccum clean" the surfaces when they lack salt. Bodily salts and ions are very important for life.
Posted 4th May 2014, 07:06 PM
Hi Hamlet, thats what I thought too, thats why I'm so confused by this whole problem.
Their waters been coming from laundry tap water...as of the last 2 weeks though, its been getting boiled in kettle first.
Jass, I've never heard about salt deficiencies before :/ The vacuuming at one stage, which lasted a week, was frightening to watch. They were really into their minerals at the time, like maniacs. What do you use for that? Is there a underlying issue which makes salt deficiency come about? My birds dont have diarrhea.
Thankyou a lot for helping us out here
Posted 4th May 2014, 07:48 PM
The salts I'm referring to are salts and ions like sodium chloride-sulphate-phosphate-citrate,calcium,magnesium,potassium etc. Since your birds are not 100% for quite a time I would definitely give them electrolytes mixed in water. I usually give my birds electrolytes in summers as my pigeons train hard. Even if your pigeons don't train ,they need electrolytes. These bodily these salts are very important. + hope your already giving probiotics and aminoacids+multivitamins.
Posted 5th May 2014, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Hi Hamlet, thats what I thought too, thats why I'm so confused by this whole problem.
Their waters been coming from laundry tap water...as of the last 2 weeks though, its been getting boiled in kettle first.
Jass, I've never heard about salt deficiencies before :/ The vacuuming at one stage, which lasted a week, was frightening to watch. They were really into their minerals at the time, like maniacs. What do you use for that? Is there a underlying issue which makes salt deficiency come about? My birds dont have diarrhea.
Thankyou a lot for helping us out here
breaking the cycle is very hard esp when you have a loft outdoors, (not like one cockatiel in the house as the article stated) which would be easy to clean up after to break the cycle. I would have the water tested and I would also take the birds out of the loft to clean and disenfect it once a week for a month and see if that helps, while they are being treated too. but you may always have it in the birds but if they are healthy and have good food and clean water they should keep it in balance.

Tags
giardia