USPS only shipping bird from April to August in Florida??? - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 16th December 2011, 12:58 PM

USPS only shipping bird from April to August in Florida???

well i had someone interested in a few of my young birds but from what he was told USPS only ships birds from APRIL TO AUGUST in the state of Florida? has any one else heard of this? i also tried to buy shipping boxes from my local USPS and they will NOT sell them unless i buy 5 or more because they don't carry them and i was the only person who even asked about them, that they would only get them in bulk packages and then they would probly sit around an d collect dust.
Advertisement

Posted 16th December 2011, 01:14 PM
You can get them from Foys or the other supply houses. Or call around to members of your local club and get one from some one.
Dave
Posted 16th December 2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Pete View Post
You can get them from Foys or the other supply houses. Or call around to members of your local club and get one from some one.
Dave
yeah i am not worried about getting boxe so to say but i can't ship birds until April to ANYWHERE??? like i ship alot now but still but not even to be able to ship in your own state, from me to someone in miami...

Posted 16th December 2011, 01:23 PM
That makes no sense I just shipped a bird to texas this week. I think the have the times backwards. It's not cold there but it does get to hot in the summer.
Dave
Posted 16th December 2011, 04:11 PM
I think you talked to the wrong person.. as far as boxes go I like http://www.boxesforbirds.com/

these boxes are easier to deal with IMO than the horizion ones..the handle is easier to secure and zip tie down and it has a bit more room as they are square. there are cheaper sites out there but one you have to glue the mesh in yourself and put the box together but they are cheap. not sure where to find those online, but have seen links to it on this site.

also just to add, I would box the birds up and just take them to another post office and ship them, but I would wait till after the holidays.

Last edited by spirit wings; 16th December 2011 at 04:15 PM..
Posted 16th December 2011, 05:39 PM

insane

i was trying to get the pijis from you they told me no way only from april to august andi even asked my local mail man who told me the same thing but i can buy the shipping boxes there he said he also told me if they ship them to me they will die in there truck cause of the heat and i would lose my money i dont know ive never done this

Last edited by jony ortega; 16th December 2011 at 05:43 PM..
Posted 16th December 2011, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jony ortega View Post
i was trying to get the pijis from you they told me no way only from april to august andi even asked my local mail man who told me the same thing but i can buy the shipping boxes there he said
that is so stupid, you would think warm weather here almost what year round. we would be able to ship at least from city to city.. i know i called my post office after i got your message and thats what they told me April to August only...and they wont get boxes becasue i am the only one who ever asked about them. and at first when i went there last week they looked at me like i had 3 heads or something when i asked about the boxes. as far as them dying people ship birds across country over night all the time so i don't know maybe it's just USPS being stupid because of all the mess going on..

Last edited by horseart4u; 16th December 2011 at 05:48 PM..
Posted 16th December 2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseart4u View Post
that is so stupid, you would think warm weather here almost what year round. we would be able to ship at least from city to city.. i know i called my post office after i got your message and thats what they told me April to August only...and they wont get boxes becasue i am the only one who ever asked about them. and at first when i went there last week they looked at me like i had 3 heads or something when i asked about the boxes. as far as them dying people ship birds across country over night all the time so i don't know maybe it's just USPS being stupid because of all the mess going on..
i was inrested in those cute pijis but this is crap the the post office is doing
Posted 16th December 2011, 06:14 PM
Does UPS or FEDEX ship birds.
Posted 16th December 2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orock View Post
i don't think so.. i have never heard of them doing it, although they do have overnight shipping...good question....
Posted 17th December 2011, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orock View Post
nope they dont do that only if you ship threw airport but its a bit expensive
Posted 17th December 2011, 06:23 PM
Fed Ex ships the birds once they leave the Post Office. They are under contract from the Post Office to ship our live birds.
Posted 19th December 2011, 04:22 PM
The USPS won't ship birds when the temperature is over 80 degrees or under freezing no matter the time of the year.

I've encountered another problem with my local USPS when shipping or receiving birds. I've been told on several occasions in the past that they wouldn’t ship to only be told by the USPS down the road they can ship!

Should this happen again ask for the Post Master on duty.
Posted 26th December 2011, 08:26 PM
It is 85 degrees not 80, and the summer is when they cannot ship, not when they can. Find out your rights, the USPS is a public service!
Posted 27th December 2011, 08:38 AM
I have looked into this temperature deal and can not find anything with the USPS that reads 80 or 85 is the limit and the same for lower.

Quote:
523 Acceptance for Mailing

A mailpiece containing live animals that cannot reach its destination in a viable condition should not be accepted. Factors that can be taken into consideration in assessing the viability of a mailpiece containing live animals include: use of proper packaging methods that protect against suffocation and crushing during transport; expected time in transit; and extreme weather conditions that exceed the normal weather pattern along the transportation route.

This provision does not give Postal Service personnel the authority to refuse mailable animals that are properly packaged or to impose local black–out periods based on temperature conditions, heavy mail volumes, etc. Acceptance personnel must have reasonable justification to refuse a mailpiece. Before refusing any mailpiece that contains a mailable type of animal, acceptance personnel are to confer with the manager, business mail entry, at their district office or with the PCSC, as appropriate.
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_004.htm

From what I am gathering it seems to be up to the post office itself to set these guide lines and or the individual themselves.

Below they make it seem as if it is our responsibility to know if it is safe.

Quote:
521 General Requirements

The full cooperation of the mailer is essential in order to safely and effectively transport animals through the mail. The following factors are applied to all shipments of mailable live or dead animals:

1. Protection of Postal Service employees and the public against harm from dangerous or diseased animals.
2. Protection of the mail and the environment against the following:
1. Damage to the shipping container or other mailpieces from either the animal or the refrigerant used (e.g., moisture or condensation from melting ice, or pressure build–up from dry ice).
2. Obnoxious odors and noise.
3. Protection of animals against death, or protection of animal specimens against spoilage, taking into account the following:
1. Expected time in transit.
2. Expected temperature in transit (weather conditions).
3. Packaging, including insulation against impact, heat, cold, and preventing suffocation.
4. Ability of an animal to survive without food or water during transport. Live animals must be transported without food or water, because liquids, moisture, and loose foodstuffs can cause damage to the shipping container, other mail, and Postal Service equipment during transport.
5. The ability of the Postal Service to provide transportation and delivery service. Mailers are urged to work with postmasters in providing advance notification of shipments of live animals. The Postal Service advises destination and transfer offices when any significant quantities of animals are moving in the mail. Postal Service field personnel should consider a 4–hour time limit on the period during which animals (especially bees, day–old poultry, and adult birds) may move in a regular, closed Postal Service vehicle.
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_002.htm#ep183811

http://www.youtube.com/flyingtipplers
-Corbin

Tags
shipping birds