Very Different Situation of Pigeon Family (M Confused) - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 16th May 2012, 03:05 AM

Very Different Situation of Pigeon Family (M Confused)

Hi,

I am new here, I am from India... Thing is that 2 months before pigeon couples make a nest near my cooler (in window)... And I realised 25 days back their egg hatched and have 2 small babies.... Everything was fine with the family for next 20 days... Then one day I put a bowl of water there so that they can drink water.... 2 days After that I came to realize that only one of the small pigeon is available here 24 hours and I am not able to see the other smaller one... From 3-4 days... Dnt knw what happen to them. Though the parents are coming for 4-5 hours everyday to meet this baby. ALl time m chceking he is alone and not sleeping.... He is very sweet. he knw tht m near my window... But when his parents arrive he make lots and lots of noise... Yesterday I realised female pegion lay another egg and from that time she is mostly available in nest only... But this small pigeon of about 20- 25 days is very sad.. he is not makiing any noise...
My question is :-
1. Where is the 2nd new born pegion, I am nt seeing that from past 4-5 days.
2. Other 20 days pigeon is very sad from yesterday.. shall I give him something to eat or drink... he is very sweet, but dnt knw Y it looks their parents are ignoring him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 16th May 2012, 03:10 AM
At around 20-25 days old the parents will cut back on feeding the young so they may learn to find seed on their own. This is when the term "Sqeaker" is applied. They can't feed them forever.
The other bird is dead.
Welcome to the forum BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/flyingtipplers
-Corbin
Posted 16th May 2012, 03:18 AM
thanks
but other new born birl was more healthy and active....
though he is silent one.... 20-25 days old he was fit n fine.... hw can he die????
is there any possiblity tht they shifted tht.... bcz in ground also i seached the body of tht pigoen bt nt able to find tht.... can he fly at 20-25 days???

Posted 16th May 2012, 03:23 AM
Oh, I must have misread. I thought you said it disappeared at 4-5 days.
Well a predator could have got it or perhaps it left the nest. Though I would imagine they fledge together.
Putting water out is a good thing. Most bird enthusiast don't realize it but you are going to attract more birds with water then with just seed.

You have any pictures?

-Corbin
Posted 16th May 2012, 03:26 AM
sure gimme 5 mins will post pics what they r doing nw
Posted 16th May 2012, 03:34 AM

plz check the attach pic

On right side is mother with her new egg
and on left side is that 20-25 days pigeon... who is looking very sad... frm yesterday... though normally he make lot of noise when his parents come

hosting images
Posted 16th May 2012, 03:45 AM
Nice up close view you have. I am not sure why you think the bird is sad. Everything you have mentioned is normal, well not the baby disappearing. But at that age the only plausible thing would be a predator TMK. Is there a lip to where they are nesting? Perhaps the baby fell down and scurried away. The hen ignores the young now to concentrate on the eggs. Cocks do most of the feedings.

-Corbin
Posted 16th May 2012, 03:56 AM
thanks i believe u r rght... this young one behavior changed a lot after his sibling is missing.... otherwise he is noisy one... wheneve he saw me he makes lots of noise.... also in night 2 am also.... he is not sleepy looking outside for his parents.... i really want to adopt him or atlest feed him.... in the pic also he is very far frm his mother
Posted 16th May 2012, 06:04 AM
The noise they make, is a call for feed when they see someone whom they can trust, its u or their parents.

The baby might have fallen and lost or some thing should have picked it.

If you want to have a pigeon, u can take the baby pigeon inside and start giving feed and water. Else in a few days they may find a new place and go off.

If your really interested then you can do a research on pigeons like
"homer", "racing homers", "Indian fantail" and start.

Diwa
Posted 16th May 2012, 06:53 AM
Thanks Diwaj,
I would like to adopt him, but first I will feed him.... I will Update you with the pics..
Also I noticed another thing as the mother is not much attached to him and concentrating on egg... he tries to break the egg with his claws... also his father hadnt come from past 2 days
Posted 16th May 2012, 07:56 AM
They will eventually chase the older baby from the nest.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 16th May 2012, 08:32 AM
Hi Jay,
U are really a true helper in ths forum, i saw ur responses in other threads
can u help me what should i do??? this is wild pigeon can i adopt him as his parents are ignoring him after his brother dissapear..
Posted 16th May 2012, 09:04 AM
Dont take it very seriously, its natures way to teach things.
The parents are forceing the baby to take care of itself, when the parents cut the food little, the baby will try to find food and start to fly.

Theres no danger for the egg because of this young one.

You dont need to adopt it fully, you can give them few seeds & water. And have it as a wild pigeon, and learn more abt them, if ur still interested then you can adopt it fully.

Which part of India r u in.
Posted 16th May 2012, 10:23 AM
I am from Delhi (Capital Of India).... there are total 4 nest in my apartment--- 2 in washroom one near balcony window (a new nest 3 day old) and this one is near my cooler window... I am shifting frm this place in next 10 days and I really wanna adopt this sad little one... I will post some pics of his.... he looks very very sad when he is alone for most of the day
Posted 16th May 2012, 10:40 AM
He won't always be alone. Eventually he will leave and find a flock and a mate. If you take him, what can you offer him? He'll be alone all day then too, and no mate?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Tags
india, newborn pigeons, pigeon egg, pigeon family