we lost simone - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 10th May 2008, 03:14 PM

we lost simone

last sunday, aias was bringing the pigeons in from sunning on the roof, and due to a mishap, all 3 got loose. oscar was too afraid to fly off the roof, so aias was able to grab him a couple hours later. biko came back after a couple hours. but we haven't seen simone since.

we've been particularly worried cause simone is a little...off. she can barely fly properly to a destination in the apt. so i really don't know how she flew off the building. we've had her since she was a squeaker, and even though she's a healthy adult now, we really can't imagine her surviving on her own out there for very long. we posted on the NY pigeon rescue site so that people could keep an eye out in the neighborhood.

we saw a pigeon in trouble (either dead or in REALLY bad shape) on the church roof across the street the next evening--aias was convinced it was her. so he scaled a few fences and roofs, but still couldn't get to the church roof--it was too high up. and the church and all the surrounding buildings are empty, they've been bought up for development. so there was no way to get there.

anyway it seemed to me that pigeon was dead, and i didn't think simone would be in that bad shape less than 24 hours later...

in any case, we're hoping maybe a pigeon rescuer in the neighborhood picked her up, that's the best we can hope for at this point. so if anyone posts about a pigeon in the east village in manhattan (we're at 11th street and Ave A), please let us know.

poor Oscar has been calling for her everyday...and of course, poor Simone out there on her own...

sabina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th May 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm so sorry to hear Simone is still missing. I do hope she is returned to you safely or returns on her own.

Sending positive thoughts to you for her safe return.

Posted 10th May 2008, 05:33 PM
Sabina, I am sorry. They can get spooked so easily. I do hope you can get her back and I'll remember her in my prayers.

Posted 10th May 2008, 05:35 PM
Don't give up hope yet. I seem to remember a pigeon that left diapered and returned diaper less. It could happen. She could come back. I'll be thinking that she will.

If all the beasts were
gone, men would die
from great loneliness of
spirit, for whatever
happens to the beasts
also happens to the man.
Seattle 1736-1866

Another Life, Gone To The Birds!

DO NO HARM

Member, International Wildlife Rehabilitation Council
LokotaLoft
Posted 10th May 2008, 05:37 PM
Im thinking you need a more secure cage for sunning your birds because I think I remember you losing another one the same way didnt you not a judgement just looking out for the birds is all , especially when theres so many things out to kill them out there ..hope it finds its way home safe and sound

Last edited by LokotaLoft; 10th May 2008 at 05:39 PM..
Posted 10th May 2008, 06:50 PM
OMG! Sabina, i am sooo sooooooooo SOOOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOORRYYYYY!! I can just SEE Aias doing that, i feel so horrible, wow. Please, please, PLEASE tell Aias i am so sorry about this, i highly doubt that it was Simone over there, is there any way to get close up with a video camera or camera and study the picture? What about a pole with some real sticky tape attached? I mean, i doubt he would get into trouble scaling a building to get his pet?
I know he must be devastated, and poor Oscar. Pigeons do seem to mourn for a while, he must be so very sad. Is there any way to bring Oscar onto the roof so that he can call to Simone and call her back? Or to even bring Oscar around the block to call for simone? Would you guys recognize her if you saw her? Does she have any diapers on, a band, anything?
Posted 10th May 2008, 07:37 PM
Sabina,

So sorry to hear about this.....hopefully someone in the NYPRC group will spot her.....best wishes for a positive outcome.

Linda
Posted 10th May 2008, 09:09 PM
thanks everyone!!

the cage was very secure...the problem is that they installed a security camera at the roof door, and we're afraid if they see aias bringing pigeons on and off the roof, we'll get in trouble. so he was transporting the pigeons off the roof in his messenger bag, and he dropped one of the bricks that was securing the cage onto his foot, and then the bag got loose, and they got out. (next time, of course he won't use his bag, he'll use a covered carrier instead.)

it's true we've had a few mishaps before--pinky brown got loose while sunning, but we no longer use that cage. and anyway she was off like a shot and was an excellent flier, so we hope she made it home. pio was ready to be released anyway (got out thru a window open a couple inches), though we wouldn't have done it quite like that. and then there was sir duchess--now that one we are still sad about.

but simone is really the worst case, she really has the least survival skills, poorest flying skills--though she made it off the roof, and i never would've thought she could fly that far. we searched the surrounding streets right afterwards, and no sign of her--i thought she must've just fluttered to the ground. that's what she does sometimes in the apt when she just can't make it to where she's going (and mind you, our apt is less than 400 sq feet). anyway so maybe she has more skills than we thought.

she didn't have on a band or a diaper. the pigeons always seem to get out of the snap bands we have. we'll have to find something else.

thanks again for keeping her in your thoughts.

Tags
pigeon rescue