What a Massacre!!! - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeons & People > General Discussions

Posted 13th May 2011, 09:58 PM

What a Massacre!!!

Well my uncle died in December and his daughter was taking care of the birds until about a month ago when she was locked up on some drug charges. So I've been taking care of the birds since then. Well she had put the pairs together a few weeks b4 she got locked up so the eggs started hatching within a week of me taking care of them and since she's gonna be gone for a while and I had no access to her bands and she can't fly those yb's this year so I banded them with my bands to fly out of my loft. Well the babies should have been moved over during the week but I had no room thats why I'm in the process of adding a 16 by 8 foot extention to the back of my YB coop. Well when I went over to my uncles to feed the birds as I walked to the coop everything seamed normal the birds were out in the screens waiting for me to feed and water them. Well when I went in the coop what a mess the one section the floor was covered with dead pigeons. Maybe a half dozen out of the 36 breeders were killed so it didn't look odd from out side but all but one of the 27 yb's were killed some half eaten others only had their heads crushed. What a shame that team of YB's had potential they were real beauties. I know it was a raccoon or a family of raccoons. They ripped the screen of the side of the day screen well not off they ripped a huge hole in it. They used that crappy chicken wire for the one side of the screen and it cost atleast 30 birds their lives. On my coop I built them like Fort Knox to keep those raccoons out I had them get in my tipplet coop when I was a kid and I never wanted to see that scene again. But now I'm parinoid that it's gonna happen here and even though I know my coops are safe I was taking any chances so I took extra precautions and doubled up all my security to keep those raccoons out.

Check Out my Clubs website see if your interested in any of the races sponsored by my club.
WWW.LindenhurstHPC.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 13th May 2011, 10:07 PM
wow that really suck , and this happen at lindenhurst ? shame
Posted 13th May 2011, 10:11 PM
Lessons learned and warning to others! People should stop using those chicken wires on the outside if there are predators that have sharp teeth.

My raccoon here has been trying to get into my loft for almost a year now and I see teeth marks on the side of the loft.

Sorry to hear the news!

"I like to believe in people."
Jonathan Kent, Smallville

Posted 13th May 2011, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael/PR View Post
wow that really suck , and this happen at lindenhurst ? shame
Yeah I know it sucked. Those raccoons are heartless they seam to kill just for the fun of it. I have a pet raccoon that I raised from a baby so I know the gentle side of them as well. But the way they just kill to kill is disgusting. It would be one thing if they ate what they killed but they don't they just ate most of one or 2 of the birds killed the rest for no reason. I think they got the young birds because the YB's didn't know to or couldn't get up high on the top shelf like the OB breeders did. And it wasn't in Lindenhurst I'm in the Lindenhurst Club but my coops my uncles coops are in different parts of West Islip.

Check Out my Clubs website see if your interested in any of the races sponsored by my club.
WWW.LindenhurstHPC.COM
Posted 13th May 2011, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodSD View Post
Lessons learned and warning to others! People should stop using those chicken wires on the outside if there are predators that have sharp teeth.

My raccoon here has been trying to get into my loft for almost a year now and I see teeth marks on the side of the loft.

Sorry to hear the news!
The thing that gets me is they had a raccoon get in their other breeding loft a couple of years ago and kill over $15,000 in breeders. But when they built this new coop they used flimsy chicken wire on the one side of the day screen. I wasn't really friendly with my uncle or cousin so I don't know why they had that crappy screen on that side of the screen. They have the strong screeing on all the other sides except that one it looks like they must have ran out of the good screen and used that crap instead.

WWW.LindenhurstHPC.COM
Posted 13th May 2011, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon0446 View Post
The thing that gets me is they had a raccoon get in their other breeding loft a couple of years ago and kill over $15,000 in breeders. But when they built this new coop they used flimsy chicken wire on the one side of the day screen. I wasn't really friendly with my uncle or cousin so I don't know why they had that crappy screen on that side of the screen. They have the strong screeing on all the other sides except that one it looks like they must have ran out of the good screen and used that crap instead.
That is odd 15k in birds and wound not spend a few hundred dollars in upgrading, life goes on dont it
Posted 14th May 2011, 07:18 AM
I had a possun do that to me years ago. Never had coons go after my pigeons. They killed about 35 chickens at one though. I talked to a game biologist about it and he told me that coons kill meverything and leave them lay then come back and drag them off one at a time.
Posted 14th May 2011, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I had a possun do that to me years ago. Never had coons go after my pigeons. They killed about 35 chickens at one though. I talked to a game biologist about it and he told me that coons kill meverything and leave them lay then come back and drag them off one at a time.
This is the action of foxes also, they will return for the dead in order to bury them for leaner times.
Posted 14th May 2011, 11:31 AM
Walter,that is heart wrenching news....Nobody wants to lose pigeons in that manner....Since there is no stream,creek or pond etc near my lofts,I don`t worry about racoons....Cats yes !!....Either way,some animals kill for fun,or just want to make sure they have more fresh meat to come back to in a few hours....That`s why they kill all the birds....
Get the old shotgun out,and start eating some coon dogs !!!! Alamo
Posted 15th May 2011, 08:44 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Good luck with the rest of the birds
Posted 15th May 2011, 07:06 PM
These guys are really smart the first night I had the trap set up and they went in stepped over the trigger and took the dead bird I put in there as bait. So last night I tied the bird in the trap so if they were to go in they'd have to mess around with it and would be more likly to mess up and set off the trap. But once again nothing they set it off but they must have from out side of the trap by pulling the bird apart from the out side of the trap.

WWW.LindenhurstHPC.COM