Alice not well again - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 14th March 2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks Ron and everybody.
I'll keep you updated.

Reti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 14th March 2007, 08:12 PM
It looks like swelling is cropping up in all kinds of places (both legs, jaw), huh? The respiration is good but this is turning really serious really fast.

Pidgey
Posted 14th March 2007, 09:28 PM
So sorry poor Alice is having problems again. Hope you are able to find the cause and a cure quickly for this sweet girl!

Posted 14th March 2007, 09:35 PM
Reti,

Read the third section of chapter 33 in the Big Book--it's about gram+ stuff.

Pidgey
Posted 15th March 2007, 06:02 AM
I was thinking specifically of the Staphylococcus entry around page 966. It talks about the osteitis, tenovaginitis, arthritis and osteomyelitis. Can't be for sure but it's a definite possibility. Maybe you brought something home from the hospital.

Pidgey
Posted 15th March 2007, 06:25 AM
I found the part about paratyphoid. The symptoms fit Alice's, arthritis, especially in pigeons, conjunctivitis and other.
I am still reading.

Reti
Posted 15th March 2007, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
I was thinking specifically of the Staphylococcus entry around page 966. It talks about the osteitis, tenovaginitis, arthritis and osteomyelitis. Can't be for sure but it's a definite possibility. Maybe you brought something home from the hospital.

Pidgey
I didn't get there yet, will do so in a minute. But I hope I didn't bring anything home from the hospital. I always take off my scrubs the minute I get in the door and throw them in the washer. The shoes are also put in a box in the laundry room and of course I wash my hands thoroughly before I touch anything in the house.

Today is she is standing better, but still has all the swelling and I am trying to see if she eats on her own. She pecked at her seeds some but not much. But she is also stressed being separated from her mate and having changed her environment.

Reti
Posted 15th March 2007, 06:44 AM
Well, Reti in the morning I always say, a bit better is better than a bit worse. Let's see if you will be able to get some Cipro or Baytril today. Keflex works well against Staph as well. I think as well, that as I mentioned before, I would start treatment at the high end of the dosing range.

Ron

Last edited by jazaroo; 15th March 2007 at 07:05 AM..
Posted 15th March 2007, 07:00 AM
I've always wondered whether a stressed bird releases enough stress hormones (cortisol; corticosteroids) to cause a temporary decrease in symptoms, which could in turn cause an increase in the organisms' replication rate. The stress hormones are immunosuppressive, after all.

Pidgey
Posted 15th March 2007, 07:45 AM
Stress does lower the immune system, but there is nothing I can do about it now. If I put her with her mate. all he does is pecking and driving her, I don't think she needs that right now.
I have Keflex, Lee just had to take it, so we have some left overs. I am trying to reach my vet and take her in today, so far no luck.

Reti
Posted 15th March 2007, 08:32 AM
Reti, just in case, Keflex: 35-50 mg/kg qid.

Ron
Posted 15th March 2007, 08:37 AM
I'd go looking for a less frequent dosing protocol, if possible. Seems like I usually dose it BID but I don't remember the number off the top of my head.

Anyhow, about the stress, I know it immunosuppresses, but I was specifically wondering if it did it enough that you'd see a temporary decrease in the symptoms like the decreased mobility in arthritic conditions. For instance, cortisol production goes up, local swelling and inflammation goes down, mobility returns temporarily or even longer, the presentation turns from acute to chronic... that kind of thing.

Pidgey
Posted 15th March 2007, 08:52 AM
Pidgey, I agree, when I use Keflex I dose BID at the mid range of the dosing scale. I was just giving the published guideline, as I am not always comfortable telling people to do what I do. In this case I might do TID the first day, then go to BID.

Ron

Last edited by jazaroo; 15th March 2007 at 10:18 AM..
Posted 15th March 2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks Ron and Pidgey.
Good point on the cortisol/mobility.
She is standing but not eating, so I am feeding her and she looks awful.
My vet called in sick so, no vet visit today. He must be really very sick if he didn't even email me back.
I'll stick w/ the doxy right now and hopefully tomorrow he will be back in the clinic.

Reti
Posted 15th March 2007, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgey View Post
I've always wondered whether a stressed bird releases enough stress hormones (cortisol; corticosteroids) to cause a temporary decrease in symptoms, which could in turn cause an increase in the organisms' replication rate.
Pidgey
Very interesting theory - certainly something to keep in mind when symptoms shift.

Tags
avian medicine, brewers yeast, cod liver, cod liver oil, colloidal silver, digestive system, heating pad, older birds, pigeon lovers, pigeon rescue, sick pigeon, sick pigeons, tube feeding, wood pigeon