Baby morning dove fighting pox - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd July 2017, 02:57 PM
I would go easy with the vitamins, as Kaytee is a complete formula and I have read that vitamins shouldn't be added. So if you are going to add them, maybe just one feeding of the day. While vitamins are important, too many vitamins can harm birds rather than help them.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Last edited by Jay3; 3rd July 2017 at 03:12 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd July 2017, 03:31 PM
Will once a day in a small amount be fine with his formula sense it complete like you siad. Should I just wait till he becomes more able to fill up his crop with seeds. We saw him eating his seeds this afternoon. I still feed him his formula cause he still not very good with them. But he diffently improving his seeding skill lol.
Posted 4th July 2017, 04:30 AM
Now will be the time to teach him how to drink water and then you can just add the vitamins to his water. You can gently dip the tip of his beak into a small bowl of water (but not over the nostrils) to get him to start drinking. Put your fingers in the water and "play" with it, that will also get him curious.

Posted 4th July 2017, 03:25 PM
His beginning to eat seeds is wonderful. He will catch on, but yes, continue to feed him until he is eating well.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 5th July 2017, 02:43 PM
He is doing much better. Some of his smaller lesions are beginning to peel off. Just recently he eating his seeds much better as well. Now we see him eating out of his dish happily. Me and my husband are trying to get him drink his water. We been playing with it to spike his curiousity but ounce he realizes it he just go back to his seeds. I'm not to sure how to get him to drink. We even tried putting a couple of seeds to trick him to go for then. He drank a little bit then. He about half seeds and formula we make slight more watery sense he been eating seeds much more. But he not drinking own his own. Do you guys have any tricks to get him to drink?
Posted 5th July 2017, 05:40 PM
Has he had a bath yet because they always test the water before bathing and taste it. I tried to entice all of my six hand reared babies but they wouldn't drink to order, lol but one by one I saw them drinking on their own. They do it in the wild and even hand reared know how to bath and drink so I think it's instinctual and they'll drink once they start eating seed when they're thirsty. It's so quick at first that you may have even missed him having a few sips but try getting a shallow bathing tray out for him and see if he will get in - I used to flush my knuckles around in the water and let it fall from my fingers, the young birds start by dry bathing outside the tray so if he's hand tame let him stand on your hand and put your hand in the water just enough to touch a toe or two. He may have a sip at the same time.
Btw if he's still having formula he probably doesn't need to drink much yet as its mixed with water and has enough moisture. Once you stop formula feeding that's when he's likely to drink more on his own.
Posted 5th July 2017, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the advise I give it shot. He is only about half formula. He is difently eating seeds much better. Sense he is still being fed we shouldn't worry to much then.
Posted 5th July 2017, 11:06 PM
Looking forward to a photo of him with all those growths gone. Hopefully soon!
Posted 6th July 2017, 06:02 AM
Have you dipped his beak into it as Marina has suggested? Do that a few times and he will learn. Just don't go over his nostrils. In the wild, they learn by watching their parents and the flock.

Posted 8th July 2017, 09:58 AM
He doing well still his largest lesion on his head his drying up daily. The bad thing is me and my husband saw he has some wet pox now in his beak. They close to entrance of his beak. He is still eating nicely. We been given him, A drop of apple cider vinegar daily. Every other day we give him a slit multi vitamin we found. To make sure we not giving him to much sense we still feeding him. He still trying to eat his seeds as well. We both Hoping he recovers soon.
Posted 9th July 2017, 03:32 AM
Lets hope the pox stays at the entrance of the beak and that he will be able to continue eating. If it develops in the back of the beak, he might start having problems breathing. Lets hope it does not come down to this. Nothing much more you can do except waiting for him to recover.
Posted 9th July 2017, 05:46 AM
Should we continue the apple cider vinegar. We can put the multi vitamin in his water cause we seen him drink now. I just hate not being able to do more for him.
Posted 9th July 2017, 08:53 AM
Yes, you can put the vitamins in his drinking water. The apple cider vinegar won't harm him either. A healthy pigeon/dove will get acv in the drinking water 2 or 3 times a week, but maybe you should continue with your's every day until he's better.
Posted 9th July 2017, 05:43 PM
Bless him - you are doing wonderfully by him. Fingers crossed those horrid things will be gone soon and the poor little love is back to normal. It must be awful not being able to do more for him but he's very lucky to have you caring for him - will be a big weight off your mind once he's better too.
Posted 9th July 2017, 10:00 PM
I understand your feel which is same as mine seeing everyday .
I never thought of pox would bring the bird to this much damage.
Hope your little wet pox can stop growing.
God bless you all.