Baby morning dove fighting pox - Page 7 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 1st June 2019, 10:07 AM
I always believe the bigger the better. Nothing smaller than 2x2 square metres and height about 1.8 metres. I know people keep them in much smaller cages, but if you can, as big as possible.

You can google: aviaries for doves images, and might find some ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st June 2019, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsoul View Post
Vet visit was this morning. Everything was ok. Negative for internal persiates. We have to wait for cultivation’s test Tuesday or wends day. So we got everything tested pretty much it did cost a nice amount. He all so told we been doing mite treat meant well. So Zula will be mite free for sure at the end of next week. Aurora is a male we thought for the longest he was a girl. So been hoping Zula will be a girl. Zula is doing much better through she been beginning to hover and eating seeds better.
Thanks for the update, I'm really glad to know that everything is ok! Let us know something about the results of cultivation tests.

We have too some birds with a "wrong name" lol, my brother has a female pigeon called Nerone (Neron) like the Roman Emperor...Anyway, I really hope Zula is a girl, I'm keeping my fingers crossed 😊.

Thanks for the photo, Zula is really lovely!
Posted 7th June 2019, 04:56 PM
I been getting mixed signs with Zula. So I been struggling to decide if she needs formula or not. With Aurora he stop wanted formula own his own and it was straight obvious to us. Zula is not like that so far. She been eating seeds much better now and can pretty much fly as well. But she giving me the want a feeding to me. When I do give a feeding she devious it in seconds. But will straight to her seeds dish afterwards. She is still growing new feather around her beak. But her later feedings right before she go to sleep, she doesn’t want it. Will she do similar as Aurora or do I need to space out her Feedings.

Posted 9th June 2019, 06:54 AM
A few years ago I adopted two baby pigeons from my vet, Aurora and Hastings. Hastings learned to eat on his own earlier than Aurora.
Even if he was able to eat seeds on his own, each time he saw me feeding baby bird formula to his sister he started to cry. So sometimes I gave him some formula...then I gradually stopped.
I think he asked for it mostly because he saw me like his mom than because he really wanted it...lol in any case he continued to look for food between my fingers for a period, sometimes he still looks for it 😄.

Maybe it's the same thing for Zula. Day by day I would gradually reduce the formula feeding and monitor her dropping. When you will finally stop it, just continue to monitor her dropping.
In both cases, If the poop will be ok it means that she is eating enough food on her own.
Posted 12th June 2019, 10:33 AM
Well we got the results today. Apparently she has 3 infections. Thank goodness all three can be treated with the same antibiotic which they only charged 25$ for. So I’m really glad that I listened to my gut and you guys advice to get her tested throughly. Other wise we would have not found out what wrong. She on baytril 1 ml for a week. E. Coli , enterobacter ,group D enterococcus. Not to sure cause it not DNA test but on results. Sex says female. I did say we not sure in gender.
Posted 12th June 2019, 12:06 PM
Thanks so much for the update.

You took the best decision in taking her to the vet so you can give her the proper treatment. When she will finish the antibiotic treatment, you could give her probiotics.

Is she still eating the baby bird formula?

Keep us updated.
Posted 12th June 2019, 10:32 PM
Zula is off formula was unsure if she needed early this week. But 2 days ago she refused formula and flew to her seeds instead. I been checking her dropping and her sense then. She has very healthy dropping some here and there are wet but none of extent of When we got her. Her treatment starts this morning. I keep u guys updated.
Posted 14th June 2019, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the update about the feeding.

Let us know how she is doing after the treatment.
Posted 14th June 2019, 07:33 AM
Hope she gets well soon!
Posted 15th September 2019, 08:00 PM
Zula is full grown now and his cuddle and attention hog with me. We been thinking Zula is boy cause he/she constantly tries show Aurora who is boss dove. We been trying different ways to get Zula to see Aurora is not threat for food , cuddles. Zula constantly coos,standing as tall as possible when he/she approaches Aurora. We have separate cages for them sense Zula refuses to share any food with Aurora. I been thinking they just won’t get along at all. Is there any way for them to get along?
Posted 13th October 2019, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the update.

How things are going? How does Aurora react to Zula?

Doves are really territorial and have a rank/hierarchy. They are also really protective of their human family members (for example, when my dove sees a pigeon on my head or shoulder she immediately chases him away).

Here you can read some informations about doves language (bow and coo, etc), they could maybe help you to interpret Zula's behavior.

http://pet-doves.com/petdoves/language.htm
Posted Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Zulo has become aggressive.

It been a while sense I need advice. hoping some one can give some tips for Zulo. This Monday Zulo behavior has made a 360 on us. He first began coo extremely loud and bowing endlessly at Aurora. Aurora doesn’t respond or acknowledged him at all. Then has begun chase Aurora around and attacking him with wings. So we had to switch them in and out in turns. Then when ever he sees me or my hubby. He lands on us and makes a heckle coo. Yesterday I got him to relax on me for a while he fluff up made clicking sound. So gave him some loven , petted him for a while. Then I think he tried mating on my chest. As I was petting him he began to rub his rear area on me. Spread his wings and rubbed his rear end over my hoodie. Sense yesterday his behavior towards Aurora has worsened. When Aurora gets by me, Zulo gets extremely aggressive. Even in his cage we tel that he hates when Aurora is by me. Then what puzzles me the most is now Zulo reacts more when I call his name. I call him he actually come to me now. Just in case Zula is Zulo now lol.
Posted Today, 08:24 AM
Sounds as if Zula is a male and imprinted on you, considering you as his mate. Unfortunately, that happens when raised from a young age. I know it will be difficult, but try to spend less time with them and no petting. You will need to show him you are not interested in him as a mate.

The first 2 pigeons I've raised (both male) was also imprinted and tried mating with my hands. This went on for a couple of years. Only when I started getting more pigeons, they each took themselves a female. Now I am the intruder and getting attacked when I go too close to their nestboxes.

So try the above advice and let us know how it goes. Are you keeping them indoors or outside in an aviary? I think outside will be better for them to observe normal dove behaviour.