Baby morning dove fighting pox - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 2nd July 2017, 07:27 AM

Baby morning dove fighting pox

Me and my husband found him at our job. He was ice cold, all most dead I thought he was a statue. I some how got him warm enough and he survived the night. We started sryine feeding and he kept on growing. Until we noticed a bump right between his eye and beak. He took him to vet. He told my husband after testing he had pox. It been going on starting his 3 week with pox. He been on antifugal for about 2 of them. The lesion has grown pretty much to top of his head now. Has serval on his chest. Took of couple days ago to his last check up the vet told us " just got to hope now". So now I been trying to find anything that can help his pox. Now he about around 18 days old he can some what fly to me. I'm really trying to give him, his best shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 2nd July 2017, 07:53 AM
Can you post a photo of him? What antifungal meds did the vet subscribed and for how much longer must you continue with the meds? Pox is not deadly, unless the bird get wet pox when the lesions starts growing in the mouth and the bird can't eat or drink. I think two weeks on meds is more than enough, cause this also weakens his immunity to fight the virus.

I would recommend plenty of vitamins, apple cider vinegar (5 ml to 1 l drinking water) and some direct sunlight outside in a cage to give him a boost to start fighting the virus. Those lesions will soon dry up and fall off.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 08:47 AM
He been eating very well. The vet gave us Itraconazole oral 2 daily for 10 days. He been off the meds sense this Friday. He told us to buy gentian violet on his lesions to help dry then out. We been keeping his cage very warm and dry. He given fresh water and fresh seeds that been getting better at picking at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179_1499006592524.JPG (639.8 KB, 44 views)

Posted 2nd July 2017, 09:10 AM
Can't leave him out side cause in Fl mosquito are very bad in this season. They bite through my cloths. Will put him by a window work. He isn't drinking water on his own in been working at that with him. We do leave little water dish for him in his cage. So far I haven't seen him drink out of it yet. For the vitamins do I use the small bird vitamin you can get a pet store.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 09:20 AM
Poor baby. Rather try and get vitamins for doves or pigeons. Leaving him in front of a window won't give him the same benefits as being outside in the direct sun. It gets very warm in front of a window, so be careful that he does not overheat. You can try and get liquid calcium (with added vit D3) from a petshop to add to his drinking water or a tiny bit to his formula when you syringe feed.

Looks as if the growths are starting to dry up, at least they aren't yellow anymore.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 09:28 AM
I differently tell my husband to try to find some. I'm very glad he still eating normally. If we can find some do I just put a drop or two with his formula sense he not eating seeds well enough yet. Should I do every feeding or how often should we give him the vitamins.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Can you post a photo of him? What antifungal meds did the vet subscribed and for how much longer must you continue with the meds? Pox is not deadly, unless the bird get wet pox when the lesions starts growing in the mouth and the bird can't eat or drink. I think two weeks on meds is more than enough, cause this also weakens his immunity to fight the virus.

I would recommend plenty of vitamins, apple cider vinegar (5 ml to 1 l drinking water) and some direct sunlight outside in a cage to give him a boost to start fighting the virus. Those lesions will soon dry up and fall off.
I agree with Marina. What is the antifungal supposed to do for him?
Pox is a virus that will run its course in a matter of weeks. Trying to dry the lesion faster is all you can do, but they will dry up and fall off on their own. Make sure to use good hand washing when handling him.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 11:53 AM
Regarding the vitamins and calcium: you can follow the instructions on the pamphlet. For ex if they say 10 ml of calcium per litre water, you can mix that and use that water to mix with his formula for feeding. Try to get hold of apple cider vinegar, usually one will give 5 ml to 1 l of drinking water. Mix that and use that water to mix with his formula for the second feeding of the day. Apple cider vinegar helps to prevent a yeast infection, especially after the use of antibiotics.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery, let us know how he's doing.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 05:18 PM
We found a multi vitamin for him we starting it tonight with last feeding then tomorrow we get apple cider vinegar for him. I checked his other lesion on his chest. They all look very dry and turning black like his face. But they much smaller then the one on his head. In just glad for now he eating and being a happy baby even when he cover in bumps. I very hoping he starts to improve slowly. We also started to make sure he gets some safe sunbathing.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 05:42 PM
I'm so glad you found him and are giving such good care to him, bless you and hubby for being so kind and I hope your sweet little friend recovers from this awful condition very soon. People like you give me hope for mankind as I see so much cruelty around the world directed at animals - we need more like you that's for sure. Thank you. x
Posted 2nd July 2017, 07:10 PM
Thanks for caring for him. You were his only chance. He would not have survived without you. I hope he gets through this soon.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 08:38 PM
With the multi vitamin we found. I'm not entirely sure how much to give him. Sense it not just for one type of bird. It goes by sizes of the bird. It says it makes 3 serving so. What I did was compare his current size to the directions then lesion it cause I can't fix 3 serving of his formula at ounce then reheat it. Cause if we reheat it he loses important minerals in his formula.
Posted 2nd July 2017, 10:49 PM
What did you get for vitamins?
And what are you giving for formula?

Posted 2nd July 2017, 10:52 PM
Is the vitamin in powder form? If so, then just add a pinch to his formula every time you mix it. Half an hour outside in the sun every day will be more than enough (in a cage for protection). As long as he seems eager to eat, he will be fine.
Posted 3rd July 2017, 12:03 PM
Yes the his vitamin a powder form. It's say 1 scope for small birds. For 3 serving. It come with it own scoper. It's a daily multi vitamin on its package. We been feeding Kaytee exact hand feeding formally for babies. He very eager to eat , he even ate a couple a seeds befor his meal. This morning. He just finished his sunbathing. I wouldn't mind leaving him in his cage. They so many stay cats in my neighborhood that we just sit with him.