Baby Pigeon needs help - Page 10 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 10th July 2019, 10:43 AM
Ok Junior is no longer opening that eye.
When I try to open it .. its watery. Im not sure what has caused it ..

Droppings seems normal. Junior Ate quite a bit once I got it inside.
Im not sure what to do.. any suggestions ?

EDIT :
I have been searching what this may be..
- Junior has no other bruises or injuries so fight with another bird seems unlikely.
- No signs of any breathing issues.
- Droppings are normal ( I have been looking at Juniors droppings since a long time, and there seems no change in droppings).
- I checked it thoroughly for Mites, flies, etc, nothing. It seems clean.

Abnormal signs..

The only thing abnormal Junior is doing is biting my fingers. Yes not pecking, but literally biting the soft skin between my fingers. Im inclined to believe it feels insecure as its not using both its eyes to see me or my hands/fingers.

So far it points out to "one eye cold". But im hesitant to start with any antibiotics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Junior_eye.jpg (142.8 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by birdtalk; 10th July 2019 at 11:21 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 10th July 2019, 11:04 AM
Try to rinse the eye with lukewarm sterile water. Hopefully it's only some dust in the eye causing the problem and will clear up by itself. If there's a change in his eating habits, then one should get concerned. Good thing you were able to get hold of him.
Posted 11th July 2019, 06:21 AM
Hi, you could make a cup of chamomile tea (without added sugar) or a mallow infusion and wash twice a day his eye with one of them (of course, be careful to find the right temperature, not cold not hot, slightly warm). You can use an eye dropper.

I don't know if you can find something similar in your country but you could try to look for a product similar to this one:

https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/bausc...5ml/20726.html

it's a sterile solution for eye wash. I used it for birds and even for myself. Here you can find it in pharmacy.

Posted 11th July 2019, 03:45 PM

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Try to rinse the eye with lukewarm sterile water. Hopefully it's only some dust in the eye causing the problem and will clear up by itself. If there's a change in his eating habits, then one should get concerned. Good thing you were able to get hold of him.
Hi,
I rinsed its eye with warmish water, 3-4 times. No improvements so far.

There are one of two possibilities.
1) Junior's nails have grown big and sharp. So much so its given me sharp scratches on my Hands and Legs.
Junior often scratches its head with its leg/foot many times a day. I think it must have accidentally scratched/poked its eye-lid ? Im inclined to believe this.

2) some kind of infection. Cant pin point exactly what. So far, I haven't let Junior fly out. Its been grumpy about it. I dont wanna take a chance until its eye gets better.

Junior is eating fine. Pecking a wide variety of seeds. Drinking fine. Droppings seem fine. Flying all over my room.. its Fav spot seems to be my laptop screen

Left eye-lid remains closed most of the times. its about 30% open sometimes. and fully open when I pick it up.

Quote:
Hi, you could make a cup of chamomile tea (without added sugar) or a mallow infusion and wash twice a day his eye with one of them (of course, be careful to find the right temperature, not cold not hot, slightly warm). You can use an eye dropper.

I don't know if you can find something similar in your country but you could try to look for a product similar to this one:

https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/bausc...5ml/20726.html

it's a sterile solution for eye wash. I used it for birds and even for myself. Here you can find it in pharmacy.
The camomile tea infusion seems difficult. As I mostly visit the supermarket and they have the tea bags which are just regular tea with essence.

As for the sterile solution, I shall try to find it tomorrow. Since its bosch and laumb, im confident I might get it. Lets see
Posted 12th July 2019, 08:40 AM
If the nails are too long and sharp you could start to file them with a nail file.

It's also possible to trim them but it's needed a little experience because it's easy to start a bleeding (especially if the nails are black).
Posted 12th July 2019, 01:22 PM

Update

Hi,
I came across some post where a Parrot had a similar issue. So some Vet recommended [Dexamethasone 1mg with Gentamycin Sulphate 5mg] eye drops for the Parrot.

I found the same with local pharmacy, and applied One drop in Junior's eye. It protested, im sure it caused some discomfort. So I left it alone.

After 3 hours or so, The swelling of eye-lid had reduced by 70%. Both its eyes were wide open. Have applied a drop again now.. I want this to completely remove the inflammation of eye-lid. So I can fly it off.

It hates being inside now. Im pretty sure it considers me evil now. So I hope this inflammation is gone by tomorrow, so I can see it off.

Quote:
If the nails are too long and sharp you could start to file them with a nail file.

It's also possible to trim them but it's needed a little experience because it's easy to start a bleeding (especially if the nails are black).
Yes the nails are long, and very very sharp. Its scratched both my shoulders and neck and feet. Some of them did bleed a little.

Yes the nails are completely black. and I have no experience in filing/trimming nails. So Ill leave it be.
Posted 13th July 2019, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdtalk View Post
Hi,
I came across some post where a Parrot had a similar issue. So some Vet recommended [Dexamethasone 1mg with Gentamycin Sulphate 5mg] eye drops for the Parrot.

I found the same with local pharmacy, and applied One drop in Junior's eye. It protested, im sure it caused some discomfort. So I left it alone.

After 3 hours or so, The swelling of eye-lid had reduced by 70%. Both its eyes were wide open. Have applied a drop again now.. I want this to completely remove the inflammation of eye-lid. So I can fly it off.

It hates being inside now. Im pretty sure it considers me evil now. So I hope this inflammation is gone by tomorrow, so I can see it off.

Yes the nails are long, and very very sharp. Its scratched both my shoulders and neck and feet. Some of them did bleed a little.

Yes the nails are completely black. and I have no experience in filing/trimming nails. So Ill leave it be.

A way to medicate and examine his eyes, is you can roll him in a towel, like a burrito. A thicker towel works best, hold his wings down with both hands, lay him on the towel one wing down on his side keeping your hand on the other and start rolling, turn up the bottom of the towel toward his head, and complete the rolling up, nice and snug, fold down the edge where is head is to get to his eyes to medicate.
Posted 14th July 2019, 02:35 PM
Smile

Update

I let Junior Fly-Off.
It definitely was not very happy in-doors any more. The moment I opened the window, and took it to the balcony, it flew off.

Lets hope he stays strong and healthy!
Posted 15th July 2019, 04:23 AM
I really hope he will be fine. At least he knows where to return to for food and shelter.
Posted 15th July 2019, 07:48 PM
I would have given the eye drops for a week before releasing. It doesn't really cause him any discomfort, and can actually soothe the eye.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 18th July 2019, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I would have given the eye drops for a week before releasing. It doesn't really cause him any discomfort, and can actually soothe the eye.
I had decided to use the eye-drops for about 4 days, and keep him inside for about a week, till I was satisfied hes fine.
But Like Marina said earlier, as he grows he will become wary of me (or humans), thats precisely what happened.

He got extremely uncomfortable when i lifted him, or touched him. Started Biting my fingers instead of pecking it lightly like he did a few weeks earlier..

Im for certain he hated being indoors. Coz the moment I took him outside, he flew away.. didnt bother about food nor water..

I know he visits me. I know he eats the seeds left in the bowl under the desk, as the seeds left outside are usually completely wiped out by other pigeons bigger and stronger to him.

At this point I believe hes like a rebellious teenager. And its okay.. as long as hes Happy, Healthy and Safe.

Tags
baby pigeon, canker, drowsy, sad, sleepy