Baby Pigeon needs help - Page 2 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 31st May 2019, 02:37 AM
Great news about the droppings! Don't worry about the feathers, that's normal for a baby. He is just grooming himself with his beak. Also normal. That's a good sign, he is feeling better.

If you think 30 peas is not enough, you can feed a bit more.

Continue with the metro, only 1 dose per day. And get the Nystatin for twice a day.

Honestly, I didn't think he was going to survive. You are doing a great job. Plse feel free to post more questions and keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 31st May 2019, 08:13 AM
Arrow

Update

Hi,

> I got Nystatin 100,000 I.U per mL oral suspension. The pharmacist insisted I take Flucanozole 150mg along and take it once a week for next 3 weeks. Else the Oral suspension wont affect.

> The bird was doing fine till I gave it its second feed for today. I forced it 37 peas and 3-4 corn kernels. The crop seemed 50-50% full. Its been sitting quietly in the same spot.. doesnt move.
Its poop was Yellow-ish now, and it had thrown out 2 corn kernels and 2 peas in an hour after I left it there.
Latest poop : http://www.imagebam.com/image/58b5861237864104
Yellow poop : http://www.imagebam.com/image/46435b1237864144

Poop is Solid Yellow and Green now.

> It was doing the "rear-shake dance" again while feeding it.. So I clicked a pic of its rear (opening). im not sure what to make of it.
Pic of its rear : http://www.imagebam.com/image/d420b81237864124
Shake Vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5b...ature=youtu.be

edit : >> I KNOW WHY ITS DOIN THE SHAKE. ITS THROWING OUT UNDIGESTED PEAS. i THINK ITS CAPACITY IS ONLY 15-20 PEA

> When do I start nystatin ? And when do I bring the dose of Metro down to once a day ?

> Also, how much water should I make it drink ? Since the peas get soft and soggy after defrosting in hot water.. do I make it drink more water ?
Posted 31st May 2019, 08:15 AM
Im not sure if the peas are getting digested. Another 6-8 out now. But its started moving now..

Posted 31st May 2019, 08:39 AM
How much metro are you giving? I told you only ONCE A DAY! A baby that size can easily take in 30 peas when all is digesting properly.
Posted 31st May 2019, 08:42 AM
Plse don't give him any more metro for the day. I told you to give the nystatin on an empty crop, wait an hour and then feed him. You are gambling with this baby's life and you will lose him if you don't follow the instructions.
Posted 31st May 2019, 08:43 AM
Plse don't give him any more metro for the day. I told you to give the nystatin on an empty crop, wait an hour and then feed him. You are gambling with this baby's life and you will lose him if you don't follow the instructions.
Posted 31st May 2019, 08:46 AM
Don't give him the flucanozole. Your overdosing him. He does not need that, the pharmacist don't know about pigeons. How much did you give? You don't know the dosage.

If he doesn't want to drink water, don't force gim.
Posted 31st May 2019, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Don't give him the flucanozole. Your overdosing him. He does not need that, the pharmacist don't know about pigeons. How much did you give? You don't know the dosage.

If he doesn't want to drink water, don't force gim.
I havent given it any flucanozole. I havent started with Nystatin yet, as you mentioned to start next morning, and on an empty stomach.

Now the metro..
- First dose : I gave it roughly around 25mg metro At 7:30pm in the evening.

- As the crop was full, I did not give any peas, I gave it apple sauce with warm water at around 12am.. and put it to sleep.

- morning 5am it had pooped a little, and crop was not completely empty.. (I read to give metro twice a day somewhere on these forums). So gave it another 30mg roughly at 5am

- By 8:30 am it had pooped a lott. The crop felt 80% empty as I messaged. Then I fed it about 30 peas at about 9am.
Now the second feed was at 4:00 pm with 37 peas as the crop seemed empty.

Now I thinking to not feed it tonight, and no more metro.
Instead Apple sauce with warm water ?
and start nystatin tomorrow morning say at about 6am. Wait an hour then feed? or metro ?
Posted 31st May 2019, 09:19 AM
Ok so from tomorrow morning: Give Nystatin, wait an hour and then feed peas. Then give him the metro. Then in evening: Nystatin, wait an hour an then feed peas.

If the crop is empty over lunchtime: feed him peas. So 3 meals during the day, 2 doses Nystatin and only 1 dose metro.
Posted 31st May 2019, 09:38 AM
You can also rather dip a few peas in the applepuree (mixed with a bit of warm water) and feed to him. Will be a bit messy.

Yellow droppings is not a good sign. I hope he survives.
Posted 31st May 2019, 11:47 AM
Angry

I sort of force-fed it with 10-12 soft small baby peas.. dipped in apple puree and warm water.
It completely rebelled after 8 peas.. and i didnt wanna force further.

It doesnt drink water at all, hates it completely. It definitely has a respiratory block. as it gulps water it sneezes showering water all over. So didnt force it much.

It now poops tiny pea-sized pellets.. mostly Solid dark green with a very small mustard yellowish base. Mostly solid paste.
I read online - Yellow is sign of either AdenoVirus type-1 infection, or Liver Damage. Im not sure how do I treat or support that.

For now ill stick to what you have mentioned.

Update on Canker in mouth - its definitely grown.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/7be4271237993054
Posted 31st May 2019, 11:51 AM
I want to take a moment to Thank you whole-heartedly for all your support and guidance.

Thankyou!

I feel sorry for the baby, I honestly do.
I sometimes wonder.. had I not disrupted its environment by cleaning the nest.. It would not have been in this position now. Probably would be happy and lively with its mother.
Posted 31st May 2019, 12:02 PM
I really don't mind helping. I learned so much on this forum and it's only a pleasure sharing with new members. Canker affects the liver, thats why the urates can be yellowish.

The best for now will be to keep him warm for the night. Start again tomorrow with the treatment. Sounds like he breathed in water. If the nostrils are under water and he breathes, then he will sneezes. Never ever dip the beak so deep into water that the nostrils are covered. That's what I told you. Remember he is young, doesn't know how to drink.
Posted 1st June 2019, 12:43 AM
Lightbulb

> 11:30am Last Night I didnt feed it anymore.
I gave it Apple puree with warm water by syringe.. forced it.. and put it to sleep. It was very drowsy.

> I woke up at about 6:45am, the the bird was up before me.
FOR THE FIRST TIME It was standing on its feet looking outside the box waiting for someone to come.
It had pooped a LOTTT! All white and greyish brown matter.
I think the bird was severely dehydrated! Thats why thick sticky lumps of green poop. So.. only way to feed it water is by syringe.

Its lost a lot of weight, I can see the thing that pulses in its neck now.

> (Question : Should a bird be given any salt, for body to retain water?)

> 7:30 I gave it nystatin (0,3ml), drop by drop on its tongue.. as it would not stay still at all and went for shower breakfast.
usually the bird just goes back to sleep in the corner. But when I returned today.. it was up still on its feet.. and flapping its wings and at the portion of the box which was getting direct sunlight .. wanted to be taken out of the box. And no.. its not cold inside.. its about 33*C With direct sunlight it gets very hot.. like 40+.

> 8:30 I gave it water, 30 -32 peas.. and it sat down in the corner as usual. lifeless.. But as soon as some direct sunlight got on it.. it was up.. and moving around and flapping its wings. By 9 I noticed this.. and left it out in the balcony.. alone When i returned after 30 mins.. it was trying to pluck a Straw. Still up.. still wanting to be out..

> by 10 It was time for metro. I didnt want to give metro. I didnt want it to be lifeless again. But I thought of relapse.. and missing a dose and all those bad things.. especially the canker.. and eventually gave it about 30mg of metro.

Im hoping metro doesnt make it back into joyless creature from yesterday.
God Help and have mercy on this baby
Posted 1st June 2019, 02:00 AM
I'm positive he has canker, those missing feathers under the beak is also 1 of the symtoms.

No need for salt. No water by syringe, he can aspirate. Rather concentrate on getting him to drink. Put the bowl in front of him and stir the water with your fingers. Put a drop on your finger and hold this next to his beak. He will eventually have to learn to drink. The sooner the better.

When they have canker, they are always thirsty. Give the metro, don't skip a dose. Give until those yellow growths are gone. Keep on giving Nystatin.

Don't leave him outside, he is vulnerable out there. Might get attacked by other pigeons.

Canker makes them feel nauseous, that's maybe why he looks depressed after feeding. But you need to feed him and give the meds, all will be good for him at the end of the day. Glad he is still alive!

Tags
baby pigeon, canker, drowsy, sad, sleepy