Baby Pigeon needs help - Page 3 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 1st June 2019, 05:05 AM
Arrow

1:45pm.. woke it up from sleep. It had pooped a Lot. Mostly Green Mushy matter with White surrounding matter. Seemed like white urates maybe. But whenever Ive given it metro.. poops have some white urates sort of thing. Lots of clear liquid.

Gave it water. It fell Asleep while sipping, maybe 2-3 times.

Fed it will 25-30 Peas.. didnt count.. it couldnt eat anymore.. Ensured it sipped water constantly. Didnt rush with the peas. Took my time feeding it. I didnt want it to throw up or feel uncomfortable. So far so good.

Pooped twice while eating. Liquid with mushy peas.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/f7147d1238740934

Again drowsy and lifeless. I feel metro is too strong for it. It was Alive and peppy in the morning. Held its neck High Up.. straight.. on its feet. Then metro changed everything.

I think Metro is too strong for it.
Should I start with ACV as you mentioned in an earlier post ?
I have some organic ACV from before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 1st June 2019, 05:31 AM
Has he started drinking by himself? Is so, then you can add the acv. Remember, 5 ml to 1 l water. White urates is a good sign, a healthy pigeon produces white urates.

Are you sure he is getting 30 mg of metro? The dosage is correct. I've never used human metro, only one for pigeons. Don't know if that might be the reason. Best will be to get metro for pigeons. Meditrich by Medpet. Then you know you can't go wrong.
Posted 1st June 2019, 07:35 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Has he started drinking by himself?
Not really..
I made the 2.5ml/500ml ACV water in a bowl, and held it near it, made him dip his beak about 20 times or so.. and it sipped a little. It took me about 15mins for it to have 1TSP of ACV-Water.

> Another thing.
After the second feed, it slpet for about 30mins, then was restless. Wouldnt stop moving in the box. The room made non-stop rustling sounds.. so i put junior out of the box.
It kept moving on the floor near to the window.. so i eventually put him back in the box, and put the box in the balcony.
It finally stopped moving. It was sitting in the box with eyes wide open.. and grooming non-stop.
It doesnt like to be indoors at all.

> Junior recognises its mother/father. Our champion can squeak .. pretty loud when its mom/dad approached.. but I think because of the odour or maybe because of me.. mom/dad do not come too close.
I know its the parent as it does not squeak to any other pigeon that visits the balcony (yes there are about 8-10 that come regularly).

>> Poops: have been 90% Solid chunky dark green paste with 10% solid off-white yogurt paste like stuff.

Overall, its been completely active, awake and relaxed out in the balcony.

> In about an hour I will give it the next dose of Nystatin and feed an hour after that.

Posted 1st June 2019, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Are you sure he is getting 30 mg of metro? The dosage is correct. I've never used human metro, only one for pigeons. Don't know if that might be the reason. Best will be to get metro for pigeons. Meditrich by Medpet. Then you know you can't go wrong.
Its approx 25-35mg. Its a 500 MG Tablet.. So I divided it to the 16th part. But after 8 parts it becomes very difficult to divide furter.. so .. approx 25-35mg.

meditrich.. im trying to source. Its difficult in this part of the world.
Posted 1st June 2019, 07:48 AM
Sounds good, grooming is always a good sign. Don't force him to drink if he doesn't want to. If he did drank a little bit, he will in future if necessary.

Plse don't leave him on the balcony unsupervised. The other pigeons might attack him and even kill him. The parents won't recognize him anymore. Don't you have a cage where you can put him in? Where are you from btw?
Posted 1st June 2019, 08:01 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Sounds good, grooming is always a good sign. Don't force him to drink if he doesn't want to. If he did drank a little bit, he will in future if necessary.

Plse don't leave him on the balcony unsupervised. The other pigeons might attack him and even kill him. The parents won't recognize him anymore. Don't you have a cage where you can put him in? Where are you from btw?
The parent Did. Many pigeons come and go, but this one is sitting around, still. It tried to feed Junior. And this baby isnt squeaking to anyone else.

Im in Abu Dhabi.
I do not have a cage.. and I havent checked for one so far. Most of the Pet Product Shops are in Dubai.. which is about 5-6 hrs too & fro driving distance.
I would make that drive, but I need to keep a check on junior .. Cannot leave him alone for too long.
Also I didnt plan on getting a pet. This one had sheer bad luck and needed some help.

Since I have a few days off.. im tring my best to take care.
Posted 1st June 2019, 08:42 AM
Can't you have the metro send to you by overnight courier? Will be cheaper than driving.

Even if the parents start feeding him now, you will need to give the meds. Otherwise the canker will kill him eventually.

Do you have a large cardboard box? You can turn this on the side with the opening to the front. Cover this opening with a plastic mesh that will allow sunlight in but prevent him from getting out or other pigeons getting to him.
Posted 1st June 2019, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Can't you have the metro send to you by overnight courier? Will be cheaper than driving.
The thing about this country is..
Now, Its next to impossible to get meds without prescription.
Even the meds for pets need a prescription. Plus they have banned Meds manufactured abroad. Meds avl in pharmacy are now made by gulf Pharmaceutical co. or UK or Germany.

Meds imported from abroad definitely need prescription. Im not sure if anti-biotics will be allowed. If they are.. then I will need to proof a Pet License.
Its strict here.
Plus, the courier will take atleast 4-5 days.

Even this Metro 500mg Ive acquired with great difficulty, without prescription. And they did not have any other metro (with lower power)
Ive checked with pet Supply stores and very few are allowed to stock meds, especially for birds. and they require prescription. So Ill attempt once the holidays are over, and some of these store open.
Most of Pet Meds are usually with Vets who ask for a license to own a pet. They do not entertain stray Birds and animals like Junior ( from my second post, I was discouraged by 3 vets).

This country is not friendly for stray animals and birds.

Quote:
Even if the parents start feeding him now, you will need to give the meds. Otherwise the canker will kill him eventually.
Im not going to allow that until Junior gets recovers completely.
But at some point I intend to let it fly away in the wild, once its completely better.

Quote:
Do you have a large cardboard box? You can turn this on the side with the opening to the front. Cover this opening with a plastic mesh that will allow sunlight in but prevent him from getting out or other pigeons getting to him.
Ive got some free time tomorrow.. Ill try to make something.

Im trying to source meditrich as well.. lets hope I get it asap.
Posted 1st June 2019, 09:07 AM
Ok then, at least you have metro to treat him with. To me it sounds as if he is getting better. It usually takes 3 days for the meds to start working, sometimes longer.

You can check the growths inside his mouth again tomorrow.

Once he has recovered, you can do a soft release. Will talk about that later.

You are lucky, I also have some free time at the moment. That's why the answers are so quick.
Posted 1st June 2019, 10:11 AM
Was just wondering. How are you giving the metro? A solid 30 mg piece? Then its fine.

But if you crush the metro and put this inside a pea, then it might not get absorbed so well. So rather go for the first option.
Posted 1st June 2019, 01:03 PM
Question

Got me some meditrich
Also a Animal-Bird Probiotic, please have a look.

Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/4cf6bd1239082034

Question : It says 100mg Meditrich, should I give an entire tablet or break into 3 and give a third of it ?

While I was away, poop seems better now. Looks like off-white urates
Pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/cb68111239081994

Quote:
Was just wondering. How are you giving the metro? A solid 30 mg piece? Then its fine.

But if you crush the metro and put this inside a pea, then it might not get absorbed so well. So rather go for the first option.
After breaking it into 16 parts, I made 3-4 small chunks of it and gave it then forced water with a dropper so it didnt get stuck.
Posted 1st June 2019, 01:17 PM
That's good, the same meds I also use. You can split the 100 mg into 3 parts and keep on giving him 30 mg once a day. You can open his beak and put the meds deep towards the back, same as with peas. Plse be careful putting water inside his beak. I've never had problems with meds getting stuck.
Posted 1st June 2019, 01:21 PM
The probiotics you can mix with drinking water according to instructions. The droppings look more solid, but the yellow is not a good sign. Urates must be white.
Posted 1st June 2019, 02:24 PM
Question

Its become extremely difficult to feed it peas now that its regained energy.
It Hates peas I believe.
Doesnt even attempt to eat them by itself. Moves its neck in all directions to dodge the pea.
Holding its beak apart is become very difficult now.

Quote:
The probiotics you can mix with drinking water according to instructions. The droppings look more solid, but the yellow is not a good sign. Urates must be white.
Do I start with probiotics already ?
Or wait for antibiotics to get over ?
As i understand.. the antibiotics will wipe out the pro-biotic microbe population.
Posted 1st June 2019, 10:37 PM
How are you feeding the peas? Best way is to put him on your lap against your body facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. You can start leaving a small bowl of peas with him. Believe me, he will start pecking at them when he gets hungry. They usually learn very quick.

You can start with the probiotics now, or wait until the treatment is finished. I always give during treatment. You have it, so won't hurt if you start now.

Tags
baby pigeon, canker, drowsy, sad, sleepy