Baby Pigeon needs help - Page 5 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 3rd June 2019, 05:32 AM
Yes, continue with the meds for another week. You will need to do the full antibiotic course, otherwise the canker will just come back and it will be more difficult to get rid off.

Droppings starting to look good! Will be greenish because you are feeding peas. When he is eating seeds, it will be brown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 3rd June 2019, 05:54 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Yes, continue with the meds for another week. You will need to do the full antibiotic course, otherwise the canker will just come back and it will be more difficult to get rid off.

Droppings starting to look good! Will be greenish because you are feeding peas. When he is eating seeds, it will be brown.
Ok,
Got it.
Posted 3rd June 2019, 01:51 PM
Thumbs up

update - day 4

Fed it too many peas today. mustve crossed 120 I believe. 4 Meals of 30-40.

Poops look excellent now. All have consistent white urates.

Poop Pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/4c065c1241236244

Canker Update : Still persistent in mouth.
Canker Pic day 4 : http://www.imagebam.com/image/987dbe1241236204

Junior has become very active. Can now jump upto a feet high & take a leap.

It keeps pecking on tiny stains on the floor or table.. but wont peck peas or grains or seeds.
Got some dove seeds for it. White pearl millets with dried corn and oat kernels.
Still unable to get a grip on the seeds.
It pecks my fingers.. but wont peck seeds.
Lets hope for a better tomorrow.

Posted 3rd June 2019, 10:14 PM
Marina has given you excellent advice. You need to do exactly as she says. As far as feeding the peas, it's very easy if you hold the baby the right way. This is how you would do it.
If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

Also, if the Dad was feeding the baby, then you should have left him alone. When they get to that size, the mom is usually on another nest with 2 more eggs, and the Dad is the one who feeds. When raised by humans, they have very little chance of survival when released, as they have not learned what they need to learn from the parents. When raised by the parents, that is how they learn to live in the wild. If you wait till he is better, or ready to go, then the Dad will not bother with him. He will not even recognize him as his baby. He will soon be feeding new babies and will not bother with this one, as Marina has already said. Let the Dad get close to him and if he will still feed him, then let him. He isn't eating on his own because he doesn't know how. They learn that by watching the parents after they are out of the nest. If you leave seed outside on the patio with him that the Dad can eat, he will hopefully feed the baby. And the baby will learn from watching the Dad. Leave a dish of water as well.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 4th June 2019, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post

Also, if the Dad was feeding the baby, then you should have left him alone. When they get to that size, the mom is usually on another nest with 2 more eggs, and the Dad is the one who feeds. When raised by humans, they have very little chance of survival when released, as they have not learned what they need to learn from the parents. When raised by the parents, that is how they learn to live in the wild. If you wait till he is better, or ready to go, then the Dad will not bother with him. He will not even recognize him as his baby. He will soon be feeding new babies and will not bother with this one, as Marina has already said. Let the Dad get close to him and if he will still feed him, then let him. He isn't eating on his own because he doesn't know how. They learn that by watching the parents after they are out of the nest. If you leave seed outside on the patio with him that the Dad can eat, he will hopefully feed the baby. And the baby will learn from watching the Dad. Leave a dish of water as well.
The only reason why I wont allow the parent to feed it is because im afraid it may contract another disease.
Also the fact that its grown bigger now.. and im afraid it wil fly off with the canker still in mouth.

There is significant progress but this morning again it pooped Green with Off-White cheese.. and thats what ios concerning me now. There were visible white urates in poop whole of yesterday. But this morning, things have taken back a step.

I shall take your advice and let it loose in the balcony today.. to be fed and cared by its father.
Posted 4th June 2019, 12:40 AM
Day 5 - The droppings from night look good green and white.

7:00am Nystatin

8:10am : Peas time but It poops Green with Yellowish cheese again. That got me very worried. Lets see how it goes.

9:30am : metro
Posted 4th June 2019, 01:28 AM
You can increase the metro dosage to 40mg, that will still be on the safe side.
He is still busy recovering from the disease, that's why some urates will be on the yellowish side.

Has he attempted to fly? Some of those white spots look like yeast (not sure, I'm not an expert). When you give the Nystatin, make sure it comes into contact with those white spots. Especially those to the front inside the beak.
Posted 4th June 2019, 06:40 AM
12:30pm : Peas

poops were perfect white and green, no complaints.

At 3 put it out in the balcony.. along with dove seed mix and water..
Father appeared in 10-15 mins.. had some seed mix and water.. fed the child.
It happened some 5- 8 times ..
Ive left them alone in the balcony now.

Not started flying as yet, but it can flap its wings and jump pretty high..
All this in less than 4 days from a quiet motionless baby.
So I assume in the next 4 days or so it'll start flying .. !?

Ill bring it inside in the evening..
Dose it with nystatin followed by peas.

I shall increase the metro to 40mg from tomorrow.
Posted 4th June 2019, 09:14 AM
They usually start flying at around 4 weeks old, hopefully by then he will be healthy again. So from now on you can let the dad feed him, you will only need to give the medicine.
Posted 5th June 2019, 04:11 AM
Quote:
They usually start flying at around 4 weeks old, hopefully by then he will be healthy again.
Uh Oh.. That sounds dangerous. Junior is on the 25th floor of a tower.. with winds pretty strong here.

Canker update from last night : Still two persistent Dots.
Canker Pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/62c48e1243339144

Poop : mostly clear water. Im not sure what the parents fed it.. coz it pooped mostly clear liquid. I fed it 30 peas last night and put it to bed. In the morning they were usual mushed green with white urates.

Metro : Increased the dosage to 40mg approx. No signs of drowsiness or sleep.
Posted 5th June 2019, 09:26 AM
Looks like the canker nodules are getting smaller. Anything way back in his throat? You will need to check with a flashlight or headlight.

Just make sure the dad is feeding him. Hopefully he will be healthy by the time he learns to fly. Wow, that's quite high up. 25th floor!
Posted 5th June 2019, 10:41 AM
Possible that he could have both canker and yeast. The large one looks like canker, but the smaller ones could be yeast. As Marina has already said, make sure the Nystatin touches the spots. Also, I would give the Metro right after feeding, rather than waiting. Metro can make them feel sick, or even vomit if given on an empty crop, so better to give it after feeding. How old is he now? It is important for the Dad to be feeding and be in his life, but also important that he doesn't fly off before well.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 5th June 2019, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Possible that he could have both canker and yeast. The large one looks like canker, but the smaller ones could be yeast. As Marina has already said, make sure the Nystatin touches the spots. Also, I would give the Metro right after feeding, rather than waiting. Metro can make them feel sick, or even vomit if given on an empty crop, so better to give it after feeding. How old is he now? It is important for the Dad to be feeding and be in his life, but also important that he doesn't fly off before well.
Im dropping the nystatin right on the two spots.
Ive been giving nystating at 7am, feeding it at 8, and metro at 9.. maintaining an hour gap between each.

Im not sure how old it is. seems to be around 20 days old. it still has those yellow feathers on the neck, under wings, and little on the tail.
Both father and mother fly in, fly out feed it in intervals. I didnt check on it all day, I was out, crop seems to be empty.. but it has pooped quite a bit.

Ive just got it inside. Poop now is a puddle of clear liquid, with greens in between.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/355be41243668294

Im hoping it is recovered and healthy before flying off. Lets hope for the best!
Posted 5th June 2019, 12:58 PM
Exclamation

Quote:
Just make sure the dad is feeding him.
Both father and mother now are feeding it taking turns, flying in flying out. I feel they have other nests in other balconies. I recognize the mother as she stands on one leg but walks perfectly with both.

Need Help with thiss >
I noticed a rapidly moving bug like dot on the father, but didnt think too much of it.
Now I got junior inside for nystatin, I noticed this same dot move very quickly on it. It hides so well in the feathers, it took me 20 mins to find one. It has wings, its like a house-fly but itsnt.

It doesnt get killed with swatting. It hides very well. Just when I chased one off junior, and it hid somewhere not to be found.. i saw another one on Junior. And this one jumped on me.

After searching for 20 mins, I finally gave up.. and headed to the washroom, only to find it in my socks. I sprayed some water on it, and it could no longer move or fly.

I dont know what this is. I hope its not dangerous for the bird. And I hope you have a solution for me to get rid of it. Im sure its got this from its father.

Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/4f2f6b1243668324
Posted 5th June 2019, 06:23 PM
You can pick up a cage bird bug spray anywhere they sell caged birds, or a Permethrin spray or powder.

Tags
baby pigeon, canker, drowsy, sad, sleepy