Baby Pigeon needs help - Page 8 - Pigeon-Talk
Pigeon-Talk  
Go Back   Pigeon-Talk > Pigeon Crisis - Emergency! > Sick or Injured Pigeon and Dove Discussions

Notices

Posted 16th June 2019, 02:00 AM
Droppings look fine to me. Can"t you build some sort of enclosure inside around the window? Something small, about 1 square metre. Then junior can at least come inside if he wants to. I think he feels safer inside. Maybe you should stop feeding him yourself. Leave that for the parents. They must teach him now to start eating by himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Posted 17th June 2019, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina B View Post
Droppings look fine to me. Can"t you build some sort of enclosure inside around the window? Something small, about 1 square metre. Then junior can at least come inside if he wants to. I think he feels safer inside. Maybe you should stop feeding him yourself. Leave that for the parents. They must teach him now to start eating by himself.
Hi,
Junior wants to sit inside my room, under the computer desk. It does not want to sit at any other place.

What is more concerning, is Junior no longer interacts with its Father. Not even any other pigeons.

It just sits and waits outside by the window, and when inside it runs straight under my computer desk. It does not even move once its there. Just sits there all by itself.
Pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/01e7f91253481984

Yesterday, I left junior inside my room for 6 hours and when I returned, it had not even moved from that spot.
Yes it gets up, Flaps its wings, stretches, preens feathers everything, but at the same spot. It will not move to any other spot.

I even made its box bigger, added a small perch. But it will not sit in the box at all (with or without the white tissue paper).
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/39e4091253481784

Even if I keep the box outside in the balcony by the window, or inside the room by the window, it will not sit in the box.
It will not sit in the box, even if its kept under the desk.

This is strange as it loved the box, and would run back to it every time.

In the balcony it will sit and sleep on the floor, right out side the window, but not in the box even If i leave the box right out side the window.

Feed:
Junior now pecks food very fast, by itself. Eats only 2-3 varieties of seeds.
Does not even touch the peas.

Water:
It will not drink water by itself. But, when I say "Junior Drink water" it will drink with a tantrum afraid if it does not drink, I will keep it outside.

Im worried about this.

Last edited by birdtalk; 17th June 2019 at 12:21 PM..
Posted 17th June 2019, 12:27 PM

update - Day 18

Its been 2-3 days I have stopped medications.
Junior has gotten stronger now. It become very very difficult to open its beak. It keeps moving. It does not fear me, but attacks my camera phone.

Mouth : http://www.imagebam.com/image/7c04fd1253481864
(looks clear. Dont know what that white spot is, will check again tomorrow)

Droppings:
Droppings are a little yellowish.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/ae78f51253481714

Junior now eats by itself, quickly and with lots of energy. It can tilt the bowl with its beak now.

Posted 17th June 2019, 12:31 PM
I think you have a new pet. Nothing to be worried about. Junior prefers your company and the safety of your home. I won't let him out at all. If he wants to be inside, keep him inside.

Don't worry if he does not eat the peas, you don't need to put that down for him anymore. He is eating seeds, always make sure the type that he does eat is always available. He will eventually start eating the other seeds.

Plenty of people keep pigeons inside their apartments, so don't feel guilty at all. He might, when he gets older, feel the need to find a mate and will become less dependant upon you. Then you can try and do a soft release from your balconey. For now, keep him inside your apartment. If he flies away now and get lost, he will starve out there.
Posted 17th June 2019, 12:51 PM
Smile

Hi Marina,
First, I thankyou very very much to help in saving Juniors life.
Junior would not survive the canker, with my heavy doses of medication and poor knowledge of feeding.
Thankyou, i really appreciate all the efforts and guidance!

Quote:
I think you have a new pet.
Oh well then. I did not want a pet. I will not throw junior out. But I will try to keep it out everyday for some time atleast. Maybe Junior will change its mind.

Also, What do pigeons like to do ? Im sure sitting under a desk is not a constructive thing to do? What should I bring for it it to keep it active and healthy ?
Do pigeons play? I know they are smart birds with good memory, but what should I do to keep Junior alert and active ?
Posted 17th June 2019, 10:01 PM
It was only a pleasure helping! When I joined this forum years ago, I also knew nothing about pigeons and learned a lot over the years.

Pigeons like to perch somewhere high, especially at night. This makes them feel safe. When Junior starts flying, he will seek out a spot to sleep. If you have a cupboard, you can put down a couple of newspapers there and a brick on top for him to sit on. Easy to clean, just remove a layer of newspaper every morning.

They don't like toys. You can put down a mirror for him, they like to watch their own reflection. Now that he is eating seeds, he will need grit. He will be spending a lot of time indoors, so get him liquid calcium with added Vit D3. Both of these products you will either get from a petshop or maybe order online.

I'm sure he will eventually join the other pigeons outside when he gets older. Hang on to those meds, you might need it again sometime in the future for your next rescue. Keep us updated on how he is doing.
Posted 18th June 2019, 03:36 PM

Update - Day 19

Mouth looks clear.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/db02901254438834

Droppings are still yellowish. And White when Junior has lots of water.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/3bb6491254441354

Overall,
Its very active. Flaps its wings attempting to fly every hour or so..

Feed:
Junior still has only 3 kinds of seeds. (white safflower seems favorite)
Once it finishes those seeds.. then spills & spreads the remaining seeds all over the floor. I think it gets angry, not sure.

I have been adding very little Grit to the bowl of seeds.
And have been adding the animal pro-biotics to the water.

Quote:
Pigeons like to perch somewhere high, especially at night. This makes them feel safe. When Junior starts flying, he will seek out a spot to sleep. If you have a cupboard, you can put down a couple of newspapers there and a brick on top for him to sit on. Easy to clean, just remove a layer of newspaper every morning.
Well, I will have to fig that out later.
Meanwhile, keeping Junior inside is very messy when Im gone. It spills and spreads seeds all over the floor.
I shall get the calcium and d3 by next week.
Posted 19th June 2019, 06:46 AM
Have you tried putting down a mirror for him? I'm sure he will spend a lot of time in front of the mirror. Put down the newspapers and something for him to perch on (all of that in front of the mirror). Easy to clean if they spend a lot of time in one spot.

Thanks to you for not giving up on Junior and all the time and patience for saving his life.
Posted 19th June 2019, 06:47 AM
You can put the grit in a seperate bowl for him. Don't be alarmed if he does not eat the grit, he will eventually.
Posted 20th June 2019, 12:55 PM
Thumbs up

Update - Day 21

Hi, this will be a long(er) post.
Today Junior completes 30-31 days (1 month) of age, approx. Im happy for Junior, as few weeks ago I never knew what fate has in store.

Junior, almost does not interact with any other Pigeons, including its father.
I usually leave junior in the balcony, and shut the window overnight, so It would wake up with its father to be fed or learn flying or aquire any other skills.
But Junior stopped interacting with father, Its father has now left the balcony (for the past 20 days, father would usually sleep the night on my balcony railing, to feed Junior and shoo off other pigeons or occasional crows).

Junior has not started flying yet. It can fly small heights. From floor to my Bed, from bed to the desk. Only in my presence.
In my absence, it will remain under my desk and not move much.

I have decided to stop leaving seeds for Junior under the desk, as it would spread the seeds all over the floor and poop all over it.

Junior has now started biting my fingers when I touch it, but not aggressively. It Snuggles its Face between my fingers and stays like that, almost everytime. I dont think its hungry as there are seeds in a bowl right next to it. I dont understand what it wants.
Pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/32c86a1256598314

Mouth : Looks clear.
Pic: http://www.imagebam.com/image/051e4e1256598294

Droppings : Yellowish, but turn White once I force it to drink water.

Quote:
You can put the grit in a seperate bowl for him. Don't be alarmed if he does not eat the grit, he will eventually.
Well, I mix a little grit in the bowl with remaining seeds. Ive seen it peck some pieces of grit. I have already got multi vit capsules with calcium. will Give it 3 per week. Also some powder vit d3.
Supplement pics : http://www.imagebam.com/image/a5ec251256598334

Quote:
Have you tried putting down a mirror for him?
Not yet, I actually forgot about the mirror. Also I dont know where to get one from. So will fig over the weekend.

Quote:
Put down the newspapers and something for him to perch on (all of that in front of the mirror). Easy to clean if they spend a lot of time in one spot.
Yesterday, I bought a cage for junior as it spends most time in one spot. I put junior inside. It was fine for about 10 mins, but then it would not stop squeaking. I felt horrible. I removed Junior out, and threw away the cage.

Quote:
Thanks to you for not giving up on Junior and all the time and patience for saving his life.
Junior maybe a Pigeon, but for me Junior was my baby once its mother flew away. Junior is the best thing happened to me in this materialistic and lifeless city. I will not give up on Junior. I want to see it fly maybe fly away, find a mate and be happy! I leave that choice to Junior.
Posted 20th June 2019, 02:16 PM
The grit should not be mixed with the seed. It is supposed to go in a separate dish. They don't eat a lot of it, but just take it when they need it.
When you are not there, he should be caged, but a large enough cage that he can flap his wings, not something so small that he cannot move around in or flap. Of course he won't like it, but do it anyway. A metal dog crate works really well for a cage. They make a mess around the house, and too many things they can get into, or get injured when left alone. You do what is safer for him...............not what he likes.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass........It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Posted 21st June 2019, 09:06 AM
Do you give Junior some love and attention? They like to be scratched on the head, especially underneath the eyes and beak. In nature the parents groom their babies. Think Junior wants some love and that's why he is sticking his beak in between your fingers.
Posted 21st June 2019, 01:40 PM

Update - Day 23

Mouth : Looks clear

Droppings : have a look.. have some sort of yellowish stain.
Pic : http://www.imagebam.com/image/79dc591257868694

Quote:
Do you give Junior some love and attention? They like to be scratched on the head, especially underneath the eyes and beak. In nature the parents groom their babies. Think Junior wants some love and that's why he is sticking his beak in between your fingers.
I have always rubbed Junior's crop and behind the neck under the head area. I do it whenever I pick up Junior and every time I have to make it drink water.
Under the beak and eyes .. I keep away, as im afraid, I may touch the eye un-intentionally ..

Quote:
The grit should not be mixed with the seed. It is supposed to go in a separate dish. They don't eat a lot of it, but just take it when they need it.
When you are not there, he should be caged, but a large enough cage that he can flap his wings, not something so small that he cannot move around in or flap. Of course he won't like it, but do it anyway. A metal dog crate works really well for a cage. They make a mess around the house, and too many things they can get into, or get injured when left alone. You do what is safer for him...............not what he likes.
I shall keep the grit separate from seeds.
The cage I had gotten was pretty big. I will go look for something even bigger in a few days.

Other than this, im very concerned about Junior being afraid of going/being out in the balcony, or living room or any other place.
It seems afraid of its parents as well. Very strange.
Posted 22nd June 2019, 03:10 PM
Questions :

So I observed junior today, It is very sensitive to high pitch sounds like Screeching, whistling, squeaking of things. It curls up and tries to hide under anything possible. I stay on a relatively noisy street, where vehicles keep moving, braking, honking. So whistling, rattling, braking sounds are common.. and junior is very much afraid of these.
And I dont know what to do about it ..

Junior has sneezed about 8-10 times today. I assume it sneezes a few times every day. Is this normal ?

Junior no longer lays down to sleep. It will stand on one leg and appear to be asleep. I assume this is normal ?

Junior is now 33-34 days old. When do they start flying ? It flaps its wings like a helicopter and floats a few inches of ground, but doesnt fly. It can Jump on Chair/Bed and thats about it.. Why cant it fly, yet ?
Posted 23rd June 2019, 12:20 AM
He will start flying soon, just give him time. Regarding the noise, there's nothing you can do about it. He will get used to it. As long as Junior eats well, you have nothing to be afraid off. You can post a photo of his cage, then we can make recommendations if needed.

Tags
baby pigeon, canker, drowsy, sad, sleepy